The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread (and Party) - PART 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J_NP said:
What you say of my Team of the Cup , though I have to say the 2002 team looked more exciting , the 2002 cup was more excitin , but thats not tha point , anyway .....

Buffon

Miguel
Cannavaro
R. Carvalho
Lahm

Maniche
Pirlo
Zidane

C Ronaldo
Klose
Henry

You picked an all-European team. I would replace Carvalho by Ayala and C. Ronaldo by Crespo. I know I'm biased, but Argentina was perhaps the team that did not make it to the semis that showed the best football.

I was thinking of whom to support in this final and I am torn. On one side, I have the team of my family, but that represents perhaps a bunch of corrupt players, referees and authorities. It would kind of be a shame if Italy will lift the cup, knowing how corrupted the local championship is, and that many of these players play for corrupted clubs (such as Juventus or Milan).

On the other hand, I have a team of "oldies", where several players will retire from the team after this World Cup and that plays, in my opinion, ugly football (only one striker, lots of big defenders, etc.). It would be a nice farewell for Zidane, but I don't know.

I also have this feeling that this WC Champion will command less respect than what Brazil got after winning the last WC. After all, both Italy and France seem to be "beatable" teams that could lose to any of the other top teams in the world.

Well , we cant forget that the fact that the cup is in europe helped , save from BRA and ARG , every team since the quarters were europeans . Well the point is ,

1st - Let's not get back to this discussion, t but Argentina played ONE magical game indeed , but against who ...... a drunken and already beaten .

2nd - Cant really trust the Ayala , he looks like anytime he's goin ask for a red card , besides not that the penalty was that important , but a guy who kicks like that , where are other great or better defensers ...... it's a definitely

3rd - How come u want to take out Ronaldo , he which is a great winger striker , just learnt this word yesterday winger :wink: which in spanish is Ponta as well I think like here . Any way the point is if you asked to put Messior or Saviola perhaps but what the.... will I do with a Crespo who is nothin but a good-regular striker , and i already put Klose on the team

4-You arent a very fan of portugal arent ya pablo :wink:

Last edited:
I think France deserves a lot of respect if they win. They allowed only one goal combined against Spain, Brazil, and Portugal and two goals total so far. It'll help show that 1998 was not a fluke too.

Since the end of the 1st round , France played 3 games but against 2 Teams mate , Spain and Portugal.

exactly... they never were

it was like Real Madrid... but in yellow

GO FRANCE!!! (Al Bundy would kill me if he sees me saying this)

karls77 said:

Ummm..... so you're saying that Brazil doesn't count as a team?? :huh:

Pepokiss pretty much said it . Brazil was only a team against Japan , Brazil only DID play on this cup against Japan . No wonder it was the only one Robinho and Juninho started playin together , point is , save from the Japan game , Brazil never put their feet on the fields

Does anyone question that .....

too much dead weight... Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Emerson, Lucio... and of course they "couldn't" be out of the team...

no hunger... maybe for dollars... or Big Macs, for Ronaldo :giggles:

Ok wait a second Lucio did an outstandin cup , he's the one cant be touched ........... And neither him or Emerson were " intouchable " on the A team

So you said a right comment I give you that , but dont start with the lashin and unbased critics , I know you love to bash Brazil , but that have been taken care of , there was lot of shame already mate so ... drop it

Last edited:
Dont know who i want to win on Sunday, ive been pretty wrong on predictions this WC, didnt think either France or Italy would get to the final, either way both teams have done better in tournaments than England, weve fought both of them in wars as well,so with regret i say FORZA ITALIA, ALLEZ LES BLUES.lets have a classic final.

zoobeatle said:
Dont know who i want to win on Sunday, ive been pretty wrong on predictions this WC, didnt think either France or Italy would get to the final, either way both teams have done better in tournaments than England, weve fought both of them in wars as well,so with regret i say FORZA ITALIA, ALLEZ LES BLUES.lets have a classic final.

Yeah that's what I think too... But I have a small personal reason to support Italy... but since it has nothing to do with football I guess it can't help me decide:shrug:

^ Oh yes, his antics cost him the award, not the fact that he didn't have any major impact on the tournament and was not really an unknown before the World Cup. :rolleyes:

After watching Englands dire performances in this world cup, it made me remember a discussion I had with a friend in the days just after ericsson became the England manager, he asked me what I would regard as success for England from that point on, my reply was if we get to the 2002 world cup, & reach the qtr final, he looked puzzled & said he expected more from England, but then as now, looking at Englands history in major tournaments how can we justify ever going to any major tournament & expect to win, '66 excluded our progress in the world cup has always been mediocre, & as for the Euro Chps, lets not even go there, & yet bookmakers have already got us as favourites for 2008

I have a funny thing to show you! This is a parody to several teams and I laughed a lot when I saw it... I hope nobody gets offended by this, it's just humor... The guy who made it is portuguese but not evenPortugal escaped this parody... Take a look;)

http://futebolez.blogs.sapo.pt/

If anybody wants to know the things written in portuguese just ask... But this is funny mainly because of the images.

Last edited:
Back after a week, here's what I thought about the games:

Eng-Por: :down: for Rooney's nasty foul and pushing aside Ronaldo (even if he did demand a card); Englad just doesn't have any luck in penalties.

Fra-Bra: :up: Zidane, he was at his best. After this game, I thought "France will win this tournament". France were overall the better team.

Ger-Ita: I thought Italy was the better team. They hit the goal side bar twice in overtime before the goals too.

Fra-Por: while Henry did act it out a bit, there was contact from the Portuguese player. Was a bit tiring seeing Portugal team crying foul over and over again.

Last edited:
U2@NYC said:
On the other hand, I have a team of "oldies", where several players will retire from the team after this World Cup and that plays, in my opinion, ugly football (only one striker, lots of big defenders, etc.). It would be a nice farewell for Zidane, but I don't know.

I.

Interesting you say that because after France won in '98, their coach had a little dig at the Italian team by saying "This is a win for offensive football"

Anyway, I'm in the same boat - background is French but boyfriend's family is straight from Italy and the Italians have endeared themselves so much to me over the past year....
And of course, there's the fact the Italians haven't won in 24 years...

But then again there's Zidane, my fave player of all time :drool:

But since I'm in Toronto and am looking for a big party, I think I'll cheer on Italy but wear a French shirt!

My family background is equally french/italian. But I speak french and lived in a Francophone country in Africa, so I'm definitely cheering for France. :D Too bad Ghana was knocked out but good for them for getting into the final 16!

Penalties tonight, eh? Not unlikely!

I don't really care who wins, but I think Italy might. Barthez will make some really silly mistake and the Italians will score, and the game could end 1-0 with France not being able to penetrate the Italian defence.

annie_vox said:
I have a funny thing to show you! This is a parody to several teams and I laughed a lot when I saw it... I hope nobody gets offended by this, it's just humor... The guy who made it is portuguese but not evenPortugal escaped this parody... Take a look;)

http://futebolez.blogs.sapo.pt/

never thought i'd enjoy seeing crouch so much:applaud:

Portugal winnin today :rockon:

Ei annie , lembre-se q hj dnv estamos com vcs , portugal ganhar hj vai ser fantastico , nao apenas pelo 3o lugar , mas pq todo mundo vai lembrar q ganharam do pais sede , e um bom time.

Forca , e q o Deco jog bem hj

J_NP said:
Portugal winnin today :rockon:

Ei annie , lembre-se q hj dnv estamos com vcs , portugal ganhar hj vai ser fantastico , nao apenas pelo 3o lugar , mas pq todo mundo vai lembrar q ganharam do pais sede , e um bom time.

Forca , e q o Deco jog bem hj

:hug: Obrigada... And we really need a strong Deco...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom