The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread (and Party) - PART 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wonderin now what exactly Materazzi said to Zidane that pissed him so much , wonders if it was like some racism , coz of the origins of Zidane or something

Wonders what will he say , why did he acted like that

Salome said:
I woulsn't dare to disagree that Zidane deserved the red card for what he did
but did anyone else got the feeling that the linesman only went to tell the ref about it after the replay was shown (probably shown on the screens in the stadium also)

is it allowed to book players while the ref and linesmen didn't see the offence happening themselves

No.

The first French player to get the silver medal took it off right away. I don't think a silver means anything to Zidane. He probably would've attracted a mob had he returned.

If Justice was made , and only the playin was considered , Zidane should won it , but I highly doubt , knowing how Fifa is , they will give him the title

roy keane said:
Man of the world cup CANAVARO

that guy has been a rock for italy

2nd place is for ribery ( the french guy with the scar face)

J_NP said:
I'm wonderin now what exactly Materazzi said to Zidane that pissed him so much

I can't imagine how it could be anything he hasn't already heard before, especially as a club pro in Europe.

As a non-fanatical World Cup viewer, yes, the whole sport part of this event was not all that exciting for the most part. There were some great moments. But for me, the beauty and enchantment of the World Cup is the spectacle itself and the displays of the different faces of humanity who live on this planet.

J_NP said:
If Justice was made , and only the playin was considered , Zidane should won it , but I highly doubt , knowing how Fifa is , they will give him the title

Considering what he did today, I don't think he should even be considered.

trevster2k said:
As a non-fanatical World Cup viewer, yes, the whole sport part of this event was not all that exciting for the most part. There were some great moments. But for me, the beauty and enchantment of the World Cup is the spectacle itself and the displays of the different faces of humanity who live on this planet.

:up:

Except I also wanted to see some good football and it was pretty lacking in that department.

It wasn't as bad as Euro 2004 though, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entertained in the least bit by the tournament. Some great goals but ultimately a bit of a letdown after the fun of 2002.

I'm a bit shocked but now comes the past , Zidane was not the 1st genius nor the last to do something stupid

62- Garrincha literally kicked the butt of a chilean
70- Pele " touched " his elbow to an uruguayan face
94- Not exactly a genius , but great player , and world champion Leonardo , known as one the most educated and calm players , knocked out Tab Ramos with his elbow

So let's not crucify Zizou , what he did was terrible , but that dont make him the worst person

And I'm not even beginnin to coun how many times Maradona kicked someone , though it was way more common with him :wink:

Salome said:
but did anyone else got the feeling that the linesman only went to tell the ref about it after the replay was shown (probably shown on the screens in the stadium also)

is it allowed to book players while the ref and linesmen didn't see the offence happening themselves

:yes: The referee didn't see it and went to consult the linesmen after Buffon told the linesman what happened.

I guess it is allowed to book someone even if the referee didn't see it.

Our comentator said they don't show slo-mo of fouls on the stadium, to prevent fan fights.

U2girl said:

:yes: The referee didn't see it and went to consult the linesmen after Buffon told the linesman what happened.

I guess it is allowed to book someone even if the referee didn't see it.

Our comentator said they don't show slo-mo of fouls on the stadium, to prevent fan fights.

One of the following: the ref, the linesmen or the reserve refs has to have seen it, though. I don't think any of them did. The linesmen didn't wave any flag or try to contact the ref.

They were told by radio communication later on, I believe. It would have been embarrasing for FIFA if Zidane wasn't shown the red card.

Last edited:
My congrats to Italy!

I feel sorry for France though.

I always feel bad when a team looses through penalties.
Then again, both teams had enough time to try and score the winning goal and of course there can only be one winner.

I don't think many people beforehand guessed that the final would be France against Italy.
Both were not my favorites.
And so it didn't really matter to me who won.

But based on the match itself, I personally found France better than Italy.

Didn't agree with the penalty that was given after only 5 minutes of playing.
Schwalbe, if you ask me.
So was glad to see Italy score the 1 - 1.
After that, I had a feeling it would end in a tie and with penalties.

Zindane! :shame:
I wonder if he thought he could get away with it.
Or what was said (to him)?
There's no doubt in my mind that something nasty was said.
But when you're such an experienced player, you should be able to keep your emotions and actions under control.
Especially when you know that there's only 10 more minutes to play and it's very likely things will end with penalties.

I thought the ref did a good job (even though I didn't agree with the penalty).
It didn't seem that the audience in the stadium thought same.
But that might have been all the French whistling and booing.
I did't like that.
They deserved :applaud: just as much as all the players did.

AFP says:

"Referee Horacio Elizondo produced the red card for the French veteran after consulting with linesman Dario Garcia, who had flagged the incident.
"

Salome said:

At least here on Espn BR , the discussion is all round this

ntalwar said:
AFP says:

"Referee Horacio Elizondo produced the red card for the French veteran after consulting with linesman Dario Garcia, who had flagged the incident.
"

Didn't Buffon consult the linesman?

U2Man said:

Didn't Buffon consult the linesman?

Yes - but the TV cameras did not pick up the entire sequence between the headbutt, the linesman, and Buffon. I think we saw only pieces in isolation. Unless you saw differently.

BTW not that I think someone is interested but here the final qualif.

Interesting , that I got so excited with Portugal and all , they were a real team , way more better than BRA , but only a place in front of Brazil , curious

1-Itália
2-França
3-Alemanha
4-Portugal
5-Brasil
6-Argentina
7-Inglaterra
8-Ucrânia
9-Espanha
10-Suíça
11-Holanda
12-Equador
13-Gana
14-Suécia
15-México

ntalwar said:

Yes - but the TV cameras did not pick up the entire sequence between the headbutt, the linesman, and Buffon. I think we saw only pieces in isolation. Unless you saw differently.

Didn't see it, but the two commentators here were fully convinced that he didn't wave any flag when it happened.

Yes, I think so too that the ref was told later on about what Zidane did.
He ain't wearing that mic thingie (don't know how you call it) for nothing.
If you ask me that he went and ask the linesman was just for show.
He probably already heard in his ear what Zidane did and already knew there was nothing else he could do, but show him red!

Maybe they don't show slo-mo of fouls to the audience, but I'm sure TV commentators or FIFA officials who are in the stadium do get to see them.

J_NP said:

Interesting , that I got so excited with Portugal and all , they were a real team , way more better than BRA , but only a place in front of Brazil , curious

I didn't think Portugal were much better than Brazil, if at all.

The red card was hardly the epochal turning point of the game though.

Italy never took advantage of the extra man and I doubt France would have scored even if Zizou was on the pitch.

As for the penalties, Trezeguet was likely to take one anyway being the lone striker. Zidane could have done nothing about that.

How does everyone think this world cup will change the crucial FIFA rankings lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom