The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It is practically around the corner... a little bit over a month away... almost here... the event we were all waiting for since 2002... :drool:

The 2006 Germany World Cup is practically here!!!!

05_football_adclick2.gif

wctrophy.gif

And I know some of you have been discussing some stuff over at the English footie thread... but this event is so big that it deserves a thread of its own.

Therefore, feel free to discuss here how you are preparing for it, who are you cheering for, who will be the suprise, who will win it all...

LONG LIVE THE ONE AND ONLY FOOTBALL!!!!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Although i am thinking of going down to the bookies and placing a sneaky bet on France. I've just got a feeling about them this year, i don't know why....

COME ON ENGLAND

our midfield needs to start putting em away like they do for their clubs , no rooney and a half fit owen , it be hard but with our team we should get to the semi's no sweat.

Come on Auz too, everyone has a 2nd fav team to support too dont they ?

I love the WC!

I'll be in Europe (France/Spain/Italy) when it's on, which should be fantastic fun. I don't root for any of those three, but being there during the frenzy will be great.

Can't wait!

Serbia has the hardest group.For a long time I didn't consider Ivory Coast good team but now I see they have 4-5 very good players.Our chance is to beat them and take one more point from Holland and with those four points to pray for a second phase.
I am also a long time England supporter.They still have chance to win WC ,even without Rooney.

i think for the 1st time Brazil have a tough group, auz are a unknown force and japan have the ability to get far. ROCK ON

haha apprently el divo are gonna open the world cup cermony or something like that, dont they appeal only to women ? why would that drag in the hardcore footie supporters ? surely they should of got a band that would appeal the mainstream. Shakira is too gonna open things, i like her.

Polonia!!! Proud to see them back in serious international competition after missing out on the Euro tourny :(

Chevtchenko is out for 25 days.
Rooney, Totti and Chevtchenko won't be in top form :sad:

Personally, I'm going for The Netherlands. I have done ever since I was little and I have no idea why. Hell, if they played New Zealand, I'd be tempted to be cheer for both teams, mainly because I've barely heard a thing about the Kiwi soccer team due to its immense suckage and thus don't feel much towards it.

My second team is England. And I support whoever's playing Australia too. Can't wait to see how many goals Brazil scores against them. Though, to be fair, I don't think Australia will get demolished to the extent I'd like to see.

Teenage sensations Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott have both been included in coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's provisional squad of 23 for this summer's World Cup.

The Spurs winger and Arsenal striker have been handed the chance to impress in Germany ahead of squad regulars Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent.

The outgoing Swede has taken the risky approach for the sport's showpiece event with Spurs skipper Ledley King another notable absentee due to a foot injury.

As expected, strikers Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen were both named despite concerns over their respective foot problems.

The final squad has to be handed into world governing body FIFA on 15 May with injured players allowed to be replaced 24 hours before England's Cup opener against Paraguay on 10 June.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich City)

Full-backs: Gary Neville (Manchester United), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)

Centre-backs: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Sol Campbell (Arsenal)

Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid, captain), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Michael Carrick (Tottenham Hotspur), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Stand-by players: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton Athletic), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace)

Very suprised at Lennon's inclusion. But could Theo prove to be a international star at his very young age?
Nice to see Reo-Coker on stand-by there, and as for Wright-Phillips, perhaps he will see his mistake at leaving for where the money was, 1 year too early now, as i'm certain he would've had a good season at Man City had he still been there and would've been picked by Sven as a result.

is sven on dope ? no SWP no defoe ( in the team but on stand by ) no bent , :| stupid.

1stepcloser said:
I can't believe he's left Bent out of the squad :|

Whenever he gets subbed out of a game, does the coach say "Hey (random sub), get Bent"? Just curious.

OK Robinson, Rio , Terry , A.Cole , Neville , Becks , Lamps , Gerrard , J.Cole.......................and? Starting strikers?

im concerned england lack fire power , even if owen and rooney do miss out its looking bad really bad. If owen plays and he aint at his best i doubt crouch can net in 10 + goals and walcott hasnt played all season wot on earth is sven thinking.

SABOTAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom