The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rockin edge said:

you should have had big petitions to get Friedal to reconsider his retirement :wink:

Heh.

What I remember most about Brad Friedel (besides South Korean players shooting the ball right at him like he was an 800 lb gorilla or something) was one match in MLS where he and some other guy got into a fight. Friedel got red-carded, but instead of heading to the locker room, he waited in the tunnel for the other guy as the last couple minutes of the match were ticking off. Unfortunately, I left before finding out if they got into a fistfight.

lol

well i mainly judge him by his form in England for Blackburn Rovers, where he is a top keeper. one of the better ones in the EPL. as opposed to Keller who, was a decent goalie at some point in England but by the time he left not so good anymore. i honestly thought he had retired until i saw him when the US played Germany the other month.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Heh.

What I remember most about Brad Friedel (besides South Korean players shooting the ball right at him like he was an 800 lb gorilla or something) was one match in MLS where he and some other guy got into a fight. Friedel got red-carded, but instead of heading to the locker room, he waited in the tunnel for the other guy as the last couple minutes of the match were ticking off. Unfortunately, I left before finding out if they got into a fistfight.

:ohmy:

:lmao:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so on behalf of the other 300 million residents of my country, I'd like to apologize profusely for FIFA's choice of the official (non-German) beer of the World Cup.

brad friedel was america's hero last world cup , so who is the states number 1 ?

keller i guess.

speedracer said:
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so on behalf of the other 300 million residents of my country, I'd like to apologize profusely for FIFA's choice of the official (non-German) beer of the World Cup.

that's just wrong. i mean you would think since the world cup is in Germany they would have really good beer in the stadiums. :tsk:

babyman said:

Canada!

Oops, they're not qualified! What a pity!

:wink: :wink:

I suggest Ivory Coast, I think they will be the surprise of the championship. And they're a pretty likeable team, they're definitely my second team this year!

The day Canada qualifies again for the World Cup is the same day that Italy qualifies for the World Hockey Championships.

And I don't plan on rooting for the US. I was thinking maybe Italy, seeing as I'm taking a double major with half of it in Italian...? :shrug:

DaveC said:

The day Canada qualifies again for the World Cup is the same day that Italy qualifies for the World Hockey Championships.

And I don't plan on rooting for the US. I was thinking maybe Italy, seeing as I'm taking a double major with half of it in Italian...? :shrug:

:lol:

Nice to see that is not only me starting to crave for some serious fuuzzzzballll :drool:

I can hardly wait this cup to begin , while it doesnt happen I keep myself busy with this .......

al_0001.jpg

:wink:

I guess I'm supporting Sweden...I have a life long debt to Henrik Larsson:wink:

Because he is the Super Swede...and I am a Celtic supporter (he gave 7 great years to Celtic:drool:)...also really amazing player and all round nice guy:cool:

Also one of the reasons Barca won the Champions League.

I am Irish, but Ireland aren't in the World Cup, so I am supporting Sweden because I like the Swedish team plus my favourite ever footballer is playing for them.

No mate I mean like u seem to root for Celtic , and the last time I knew Celtic is a scot team

Yeah Celtic is a Scottish team, but they have a massive Irish fanbase...

The early days and Brother Walfrid

Celtic Football Club was formally constituted at a meeting in St. Mary's church hall in East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton, Glasgow, by Marist Brother Walfrid on November 6, 1887, with the purpose stated in the official club records as "being to alleviate poverty in Glasgow's East End parishes".

The charity established by Brother Walfrid was named 'The Poor Children's Dinner Table'.

Walfrid's move to establish the club as a means of fund-raising was largely inspired by the example of Hibernian who were formed out of the immigrant Irish population a few years earlier in Edinburgh. Walfrid's own suggestion of the name 'Celtic' (pronounced Seltik), was intended to reflect the club's Irish and Scottish roots, and was adopted at the same meeting. Some have believed this is to also show the diveristy of Glasgow's Catholic community which had significant numbers of Italian, Lithuanian, Polish and Highlanders among their worship as well as the Irish majority.

That's a bit of Celtic's history from Wikipedia......Celtic has always had major ties to the Irish, hence a lot of Irish people support Celtic.

In fact the majority of Irish football fans likely support someone in either the English Premiership or in the Scottish Premiership.

Irish football...are you talking about this kind?

If you're talking about the kind where you're not allowed to use your hands, I think that's called "association football" or "soccer" for short.

End snark.

In Ireland it's always Celtic or Man United who get supported.

Although nowadays i guess there will be quite a few 'new' Chelsea supporters suddenly popping up there too :|

1stepcloser said:
In Ireland it's always Celtic or Man United who get supported.

Although nowadays i guess there will be quite a few 'new' Chelsea supporters suddenly popping up there too :|

Haven't actually noticed that yet...support for teams, usually goes Man Utd, Celtic, Liverpool, Arsenal then random teams.

Yes Tre Irish league sucks:wink: But it is usually good fun to watch...some of the teams could probably do well in the English first division.

Oh and J_NP, if I was talking about Gaelic I would have called it Gaelic:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom