The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jimmmm said:
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
would it annoy you as much if ENGLAND won the world cup, as it must have done when we whupped you in the Ashes

I was supporting the Poms in the Ashes. Not enough Victorians in the Aussie line-up.

Remember that friendly between Eng vs Aus at Upton Park a few years back.

You blokes played your best team in the first half and we pumped you 2-nil. And then you had 11 fresh players for the second half and we still ended up winning 3-1.....

England continues to live in this dreamland where they reckon they are some kind of football heavyweights. Most of their "successes" have been a result of luck. They have never been able to match the supremacy of Brazil, Italy and Argentina. The World Cup win of '66 was a flash in the pan, ala Denmark at Euro 92 and Greece at Euro 04.

Mind you, youve got a reasonable midfield now. Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham. What a shame you got such shite keepers and forwards.

J_NP said:
Yeah in few words u explained for everyone , lemme see some of the reasons veron is outta argentina , and what have he been doing.

Quarrels. Nothing else. He blamed Sorin (who is Pekerman's right hand) for having favoured Riquelme instead of him, and Pekerman, smart enough, understood Veron's attitude to "I'm the number1" and has kicked his ass out of the argentinian team. That's what president Moratti should do, too. I want a team based around Adriano, with more brazilian players, not surely Veron who doesn't speak to Adriano anymore. Adriano confirmed it last night in an interview, "Veron is a good player, but he must put his feet back on the ground". Too generous dear Adriano, he must put his face in the shit. Veron:down: :down: :down:

J_NP said:

BTW buddy , if Juve really falls for serie B , so I guess what like the 3rd place of it will go up ?

Yeah, probably. But I'm so bored with this situation, I could never expect something like it has happened. it is sad, my fan soul got really hit. In the end, Juventus is a victim, too. Moggi couldn't care the less about them, he only used Juventus to fill his pockets and the ones of his bloody collaborators with dirty money. But in the same time I can't figure out that no one of the Juventus owners knew what was going on. Juventus must pay, if they remain in Serie A the whole credibility of italian football goes f.cking itself.

intedomine said:

Mind you, youve got a reasonable midfield now. Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham. What a shame you got such shite keepers and forwards.

:coocoo:

Have you been laying under the sun a bit too much lately, shite forwards, that really would be a funny sentence if it wasn't so sad

Nooo ??? :huh: What the hell , and I here on my thoughts , wow Spain got a real 1st class keeper :ohmy:

jimmmm said:

:coocoo:

Have you been laying under the sun a bit too much lately, shite forwards, that really would be a funny sentence if it wasn't so sad

Rooney (who is overrated anyway), has messed up his foot and is in doubt for the opening game. A great situation for a striker to be in in the lead up to a world cup.

Owen (who I do admire) hasn't played often enough due to injury and is unlikely to be in any kind of decent form.

Crouch is a lanky, inconsistent nobody and Vassell is only in the squad cause you got no one else decent enough.

If England were smart, they'd select Andy Johnson (only incuded as a reserve, isn't he??) A classy old-fashioned striker who usually comes up with the goods. Been in good form for Palace too.

Guys I just saw again , guess I didnt play much attention to spain list , but now I've seen holy shit , I wonder hows Spain coach head after today's game , Valdez's game thats just so....... I know Canizares , hes good , but a little too old ? Casillas is fine as well , but Reina ? :huh: Whos this guy , instead of the keeper of the Spain and Euro Champ , a guy that doesnt exactly count with the best defense in the world ........... :|

And also just saw , are my eyes going crazy , or he just called 3 strikers ? :ohmy:

No but that doesnt say anything , Reyes , at least by what I've seen today , is a MF . And by what I know Garcia is as much a striker as Ronaldinho or Totti , like it's the last man of the MF , but not yet a strike r, may be wrong though

Last edited:
Yeah...Ivory Coast would be a great team to root for. After the USA of course.

DaveC said:
I still haven't decided who to root for yet, seeing as Ireland didn't make it.

Suggestions? :hmm:

Canada!

Oops, they're not qualified! What a pity!

:wink: :wink:

I suggest Ivory Coast, I think they will be the surprise of the championship. And they're a pretty likeable team, they're definitely my second team this year!

I was just informed that I am being sent to India on the first week of June so I will be forced to watch Argentina - Ivory Coast alone in my hotel at 12:30 a.m. :mad:

intedomine said:

Rooney (who is overrated anyway), has messed up his foot and is in doubt for the opening game. A great situation for a striker to be in in the lead up to a world cup

So a player gets injured & that makes him shite, & there's me thinking it was mainly down to a lack of ability all this time, thanks aussie you've opened my eyes to this thing in England we call football, were the fuck would us English be without you cultured, eloquent, articulate, sophisticated, intellectual, lovely people, must rush got to go tell my eldest son where we've been going wrong all the time, thanks once again.

bonsai said:
Croatia? Ivory Coast? USA?

i wouldn't choose to root for the USA unless you want to be dissapointed.

of course if you listen to one of their top players, Donavon ( :lol: ) he said the other day they could beat Brazil! :lmao:

in the build up to the world cup i've been thinking at least the USA had a really good keeper...then i find out Friedal has retired from the national team :laugh: he was the main reason they got out of their group last time...and it was easier than the group they have this time.

Croatia and the Ivory Coast could do well though :up: although i really don't know which 2 to pick from the group of death.

the rockin edge said:

i wouldn't choose to root for the USA unless you want to be dissapointed.

of course if you listen to one of their top players, Donavon ( :lol: ) he said the other day they could beat Brazil! :lmao:

in the build up to the world cup i've been thinking at least the USA had a really good keeper...then i find out Friedal has retired from the national team :laugh: he was the main reason they got out of their group last time...and it was easier than the group they have this time.

Well, it's about damn time people started trashing the USA. I was wondering if it was ever going to start up.

Ask Romario what he thinks about Kasey Keller (granted, this was 8 years ago, but still.)

You're right, the USA has a tough draw to get to the prequarters match with Brazil, but I don't think Italy and the Czech Republic relish having to face them (or Ghana, for that matter).

I won't argue that the USA deserved a top seed, but Mexico definitely didn't deserve to get it ahead of them, given that the USA has pretty much owned Mexico the last few years. (There's a tasteless quip that's begging to be said here, but I ain't saying it.) But if you want to be one of the best teams, you have to beat the other best teams somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Well, it's about damn time people started trashing the USA. I was wondering if it was ever going to start up.

well i had to do something to distract from all the trashing of England ;)

speedracer said:
Ask Romario what he thinks about Kasey Keller (granted, this was 8 years ago, but still.)

yes, the 8 years ago sums that up. he was a good goalie at one time, although i never rated him that highly. Friedal was/is far better.

is Keller even the #1 goalie? or is Howard?

speedracer said:
You're right, the USA has a tough draw to get to the prequarters match with Brazil, but I don't think Italy and the Czech Republic relish having to face them (or Ghana, for that matter).

the USA may very well beat Ghana. although i expect them to have lost the first two games rendering that result meaningless.

and i don't think Italy or the Czechs will relish it that much...but they wont underate the US like Portugal did last time.

Italy & Czech Rep. are better than the USA.

but then football's a funny old game...

speedracer said:
I won't argue that the USA deserved a top seed, but Mexico definitely didn't deserve to get it ahead of them, given that the USA has pretty much owned Mexico the last few years. (There's a tasteless quip that's begging to be said here, but I ain't saying it.) But if you want to be one of the best teams, you have to beat the other best teams somewhere along the line.

good, cause they didn't deserve a top seed.

Holland aren't seeded either, i'd rate them above the US easily.

and the USA being better than Mexico in games against them doesn't mean much, the seeds are given based on all around performance, not head to head against 1 team.

as to wether Mexico deserved to be seeded i'm not sure, time may well tell us that one.

the rockin edge said:

yes, the 8 years ago sums that up. he was a good goalie at one time, although i never rated him that highly. Friedal was/is far better.

is Keller even the #1 goalie? or is Howard?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Keller; I think he's been getting most of the work for the USA in the last couple years.

Holland aren't seeded either, i'd rate them above the US easily.

and the USA being better than Mexico in games against them doesn't mean much, the seeds are given based on all around performance, not head to head against 1 team.

as to wether Mexico deserved to be seeded i'm not sure, time may well tell us that one.

The USA and Mexico play pretty much the same teams in the same tournaments in the Americas. They were basically dead even. I agree that the Netherlands got jacked, but assuming that the decision for the final top seed had to come down to the USA and Mexico, the USA should have won the tiebreaker head to head.

Last edited:
speedracer said:
The USA and Mexico play pretty much the same teams in the same tournaments in the Americas. They were basically dead even. I agree that the Netherlands got jacked, but assuming that the decision for the final top seed had to come down to the USA and Mexico, the USA should have won the tiebreaker (something like 1 loss in the last 10 matches against Mexico). The Netherlands definitely got jacked though.

it's wasn't between US & Mexico. here's the table of scores for the draw rankings...no clue how they figure these out...

Brazil 64
England 51
Spain 50
Germany 48
Mexico 47
France 46
Argentina 44
Italy 44

the USA had 43, Holland had 38.

i never pay attention to any of the FIFA rankings...and this is no exception.

but with the system they used, Mexico got more points.

speedracer said:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Keller; I think he's been getting most of the work for the USA in the last couple years.

he has experience.

you should have had big petitions to get Friedal to reconsider his retirement :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom