The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time i've seen him play for Real Madrid this season he's looked really tired by about the 60-70th minute. I think he'd have a far bigger impact if he was brought on about halfway through a match and rested perhaps if France win their first couple of qualifiers.

Basically i just want to see him play well and not get too fatigued by the tournament. He's my favourite player ever and i'd like to see him have a good send off.

I'm quite sad he's retiring :(

1stepcloser said:
Every time i've seen him play for Real Madrid this season he's looked really tired by about the 60-70th minute. I think he'd have a far bigger impact if he was brought on about halfway through a match and rested perhaps if France win their first couple of qualifiers.

Basically i just want to see him play well and not get too fatigued by the tournament. He's my favourite player ever and i'd like to see him have a good send off.

I'm quite sad he's retiring :(

Well, probably right because it's the last thing he's going to do he will prepare himself to reach his top in these 3 weeks. I'm pretty confident to see a great champion again, he will give his blood. Real Madrid this year was a complete disaster, I frankly don't save neither one player. It was a chain reaction there this year. WorldCup always has a spirit of its own, and players find a second soul even after a miserable season. Zidane will solve his job very good...................although I hope not too good!
:wink:

Well he didnt do much when England played France at Euro 2004 then he scored 2 goals in stoppage time :mad:

hopefully he will get injured or something if we have to play them again :wink:

Zidane's name alone will give them a psychological advantage. But at his age it's impossible for him to play the full 90.

Some of the squads are in already. The Brazil squad looks bloody awesome and I can't say I'm glad we're playing them last either because if they've qualified by then they've still got so much depth in reserve! I think our midfield of Ono-Nakata-Inamoto-Nakamura is a pretty good one but the main problem now is strikers...fingers crossed till they're bleeding.

As usual I'm plumbing for Sweden as dark horses.

Oh and I have no idea why poor old Greg Coupet isn't in goal for France.

Last edited:
Domenech's official reason is that Barthez is more experienced, which I think is bullshit. Sure, Coupet hasn't played as many internationals as Barthez, but he's been in many big-match situations in the Champs League with Lyon and he's also a damn good keeper.

Barthez is since light years out of every international competition, while Coupet plays Champions League since more than 5 years, more experience than this?!
Domenech is stupid:coocoo:

And the Ludovic Giuly non-selection of course.

I've never seen Franck Ribery in action but apparently he's hot stuff at the moment, what do you think of him guill?

And Boumsong in defence is a bloody liability. Haven't been that impressed with Gael Givet either, but that was several years ago in the Champions League and he may have become a better player since then.

Ok, here it goes, the Worldchampions have been nominated:
:wink:

ITALY

GOALKEEPERS: GIANLUIGI BUFFON (JUVENTUS)
ANGELO PERUZZI (LAZIO)
MARCO AMELIA (LIVORNO)

DEFENDERS: GIANLUCA ZAMBROTTA (JUVENTUS)
ALESSANDRO NESTA (MILAN)
FABIO CANNAVARO (JUVENTUS)
FABIO GROSSO (PALERMO)
CHRISTIAN ZACCARDO (PALERMO)
ANDREA BARZAGLI (PALERMO)
MARCO MATERAZZI (INTER)
MASSIMO ODDO (LAZIO)

MIDFIELDERS: MAURO GERMAN CAMORANESI (JUVENTUS)
ANDREA PIRLO (MILAN)
GENNARO IVAN GATTUSO (MILAN)
SIMONE BARONE (PALERMO)
DANIELE DE ROSSI (ROMA)
SIMONE PERROTTA (ROMA)

FORWARDS: LUCA TONI (FIORENTINA)
ALBERTO GILARDINO (MILAN)
FRANCESCO TOTTI (ROMA)
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO (JUVENTUS)
FILIPPO INZAGHI (MILAN)
VINCENZO IAQUINTA (UDINESE)

RESERVES: MORGAN DE SANCTIS (UDINESE) GK
DANIELE BONERA (PARMA) DF
MARCO MARCHIONNI (PARMA) MF
FRANCO SEMIOLI (CHIEVO VERONA) MF

JUVENTUS (5 PLAYERS)
MILAN (5 PLAYERS)
PALERMO (4 PLAYERS)
ROMA (3 PLAYERS)
UDINESE (2 PLAYERS)
PARMA (2 PLAYERS)
CHIEVO VERONA (1 PLAYER)
LIVORNO (1 PLAYER)
FIORENTINA (1 PLAYER)
LAZIO (2 PLAYERS)
INTER (1 PLAYER)

Last edited:
good choices, but I don't understand the nomination of Iaquinta. He played very bad this year, and I'm surprised he didn't nominate one among Lucarelli and Tavano who scored both 19 goals this season.........................

Spain

GK: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina, Santiago Canizares

DF: Antonio Lopez, Pablo Ibanez, Carles Puyol, Juanito, Asier Del Horno, Joan Capdevila, Michel Salgado, Sergio Ramos, Carlos Marchena, Javi Venta

MF: Cesc Fabregas, Jose Antonio Reyes, Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Joaquin, Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso, David Albelda, Ruben Baraja, Marcos Senna

FW: Fernando Torres, Fernando Morientes, Raul Gonzalez Blanco, David Villa

Coach: Luis Aragones

Germany

GK: Jens Lehmann, Oliver Kahn, Timo Hildebrand

DF: Arne Friedrich, Per Mertesacker, Robert Huth, Christoph Metzelder, Jens Nowotny, Phillipp Lahm, Marcell Jansen

MF: Bastian Schweinsteiger, Bernd Schneider, Torsten Frings, Sebastian Kehl, Tim Borowski, Michael Ballack, Thomas Hitzlsperger

FW: Miroslav Klose, Lukas Podolski, Gerald Asamoah, Oliver Neuville, David Odonkor, Mike Hanke

No Kevin Kuranyi

Coach: Juergen Klinsmann

It's curious to notice how Mike Hanke is the only one german in the forward. Odonkor and Asamoah both africans, Podolski and Klose both polish, Neuville comes from Switzerland and has italian origins.....................................Germany has no good forward anymore, they must take the foreigners to make a team!:huh:

Netherlands:

GK: Van Der Sar, Stekelenburg, Timmer

DF: Boulahrouz, Van Bronckhorst, De Cler, Jaliens, Kromkamp, Mathijsen, Oijer, Heitinga

MF: Van Bommel, Cocu, Landzaat, Maduro, Sneijder, Van Der Vart

FW: Babel, Kuijt, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Robben, Vennegor Of Hesselink

No Seedorf, Davids and most of all Makaay

Coach: Marco Van Basten

babyman said:

I wouldn't call it anti-Brazil feeling, it's too much, exaggerated.

Check again my friend , look at intedomine's message for example.

And yeah BTW everybody here is talkin' bout Italy got 4 players from Palermo , BTW where is this team from ? :huh:

And I'm sure you've all seen the team of Brazil , and it had no surprise but here it is anyway to the ones who didn't see :

GK : Dida , Rogerio Ceni , Julio Cesar

DF : Lucio , Cris , Luisao , Juan ; Cafu , Cicinho , Roberto Carlos and Gilberto

MF : Emerson , Gilberto Silva , Edmilson , Ze Roberto , Juninho , Ricardinho , Kaka and Ronaldinho

FW : Ronaldo , Adriano , Robinho and Fred

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
Domenech's official reason is that Barthez is more experienced, which I think is bullshit. Sure, Coupet hasn't played as many internationals as Barthez, but he's been in many big-match situations in the Champs League with Lyon and he's also a damn good keeper.

Barthez's friends in the team are Thuram and Zidane, they are the real bosses of the French team, Thuram calls Domenech "the impostor" and never talks to him.

Coupet doesn't moan because he is number 2, Barthez would have left the French team or created a big tension during the World Cup. It was too risky.

I've never seen Franck Ribery in action but apparently he's hot stuff at the moment, what do you think of him guill?

And Boumsong in defence is a bloody liability. Haven't been that impressed with Gael Givet either, but that was several years ago in the Champions League and he may have become a better player since then.

Ribery is a very interesting player, he runs very fast, has a huge activity in the midfield (he will play on the right wing), is generous, a good dribbler, he won't stay in France for a long time.
He is a bit nervous and not experimented but he is perfect for the last 20 mns.

Mexès is better than Boumsong, he is a better technician, with a duet Thuram - Boumsong or Thuram - Gallas, the ball does not arrive very well in the midfield, the French team loses precious seconds when defenders have the ball. :huh:
Boumsong can play on the right of the defense, he is more polyvalent than Mexès, that's the reason why he is in the squad.
Givet can play (bad) everywhere in the defense, he is a warrior but his technic is limited. He won't complain not to be in the starting 11, he is a sort of entertainer for the squad.

How can you bench a guy whose last name is a noun? (Barthezery: the act of wandering out of one's goalmouth for no apparent reason)

Here is Argentina:

GOALKEEPERS:
ROBERTO ABBONDANZIERI (Boca)
LEONARDO FRANCO (Atlético Madrid)
OSCAR USTARI (Independiente)

DEFENDERS:
ROBERTO AYALA (Valencia)
NICOLÁS BURDISSO (Inter)
FABRICIO COLOCCINI (Deportivo La Coruña)
LEANDRO CUFRÉ (Roma)
GABRIEL HEINZE (Manchester United)
GABRIEL MILITO (Zaragoza)
JUAN PABLO SORIN (Villarreal)

MIDFIELDERS:
PABLO AIMAR (Valencia)
ESTEBAN CAMBIASSO (Inter)
LUIS GONZÁLEZ (Porto)
JAVIER MASCHERANO (Corinthians)
JUAN ROMÁN RIQUELME (Villarreal)
MAXIMILIANO RODRÍGUEZ (Atlético Madrid)
LIONEL SCALONI (West Ham)

FORWARDS:
HERNÁN CRESPO (Chelsea)
JULIO CRUZ (Inter)
LIONEL MESSI (Barcelona)
RODRIGO PALACIO (Boca)
JAVIER SAVIOLA (Sevilla)
CARLOS TEVEZ (Corinthians)

url

The most beautiful thing about the most important event (of any kind) of 2006 is that whilst so many think that Brazil are a shoo-in to win their 6th world cup, previous World Cups have produced shocks that a beyond human comprehension and prompt worldwide utter disbelief.

I agree, many people don't though:|

Pundits and sport journalists over here in England all wringe whenever they're precious France, Argentina, Italy are knocked out, or when Greece won the Euro. What is it to them if Italy is knocked out anyway? I honestly don't find them that entertaining.

U2@NYC, who's the left back for Argentina? Heinze hasn't played for Utd since Sept, no way he's match sharp/fit.

bonsai said:

Pundits and sport journalists over here in England all wringe whenever they're precious France, Argentina, Italy are knocked out, or when Greece won the Euro. What is it to them if Italy is knocked out anyway? I honestly don't find them that entertaining.

i celebrate when Argentina and France lose. :wink:

and i was very pleased Greece beat Portugal in 2004.

bonsai said:

Statistically, soccer is the major team sport that is most prone to upsets, simply beacuse of the paucity of goals. It shouldn't be a major shock when one of the top teams goes down in a short tournament, but that's always how it gets portrayed in the media.

speedracer said:

Statistically, soccer is the major team sport that is most prone to upsets, simply beacuse of the paucity of goals. It shouldn't be a major shock when one of the top teams goes down in a short tournament, but that's always how it gets portrayed in the media.

Well, World Cup reports in North America are always portrayed awkwardly since generally we don't have a bloody clue about football. Generally speaking, of course. :wink:

I love the game but not enough to pay for it on PPV. or get up at 7am to watch a match. Love the World Cup and Euro though.

Check out the brazil's numbers :

1-Dida
2-Cafu
3-Lucio
4-Juan
5-Emerson

RCBS-th.jpg

BrasilASSNo.7.0405c.gif

BrasilASSNo.8.0405as.jpg

193622.RE23.JPG

ea_2.JPG

11-Ze Roberto
12-Rogerio
13-Cicinho
14-Luisao
15-Cris
16-Gilberto
17-Gilberto Silva
18-Edmilson

2911447919.jpg

He is the 19

20-Ricardinho
21-Fred
22-Julio Cesar

And he is the 23

realmadridH_10Robinho.jpg

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:
U2@NYC, who's the left back for Argentina? Heinze hasn't played for Utd since Sept, no way he's match sharp/fit.

i celebrate when Argentina and France lose. :wink:

and i was very pleased Greece beat Portugal in 2004.

It's now between Heinze and Milito. If Heinze can recover, then he will start.

I celebrate when Brazil and England lose... :evil:

One question , Italy is going to play with like 3-4-1-2 right ? France 4-4-2 ? what about Spain 3-4-3 ?

U2@NYC said:

It's now between Heinze and Milito. If Heinze can recover, then he will start.

I celebrate when Brazil and England lose... :evil:

how good is Milito? Heinze is very good, from what i've seen of him at Utd. but after not playing for 9 months i'd think it's gonna be hard for him to be ready for the pace at the world cup.

funny, i'd like him to miss the world cup, or at least not be at his best but be fully fit and ready to start for Utd next season :evil:

any other rivals you root against?

i enjoy watching Germany lose :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom