The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zepher25 said:
youll notice i said execpt for the onlympic. at least Australia dosent run a "world series" with no other countries, what kind of crap is that

I understand your point about calling it the "World Series", but in case you forgot, Canada is not part of the U.S. and is involved.

And I'd argue that the U.S. excels in many sports that are considered world events. We have always done well in tennis and golf. Hell, cycling is a premier sporting event in Europe and Australia, yet the U.S. has begun to emerge as a legitimate contender in that area, and not just because of Lance Armstrong.

I'd say we do quite well.

zepher25 said:
i would think that cricket has a bigger international following and importance than baseball. the USA does have an international team, they just suck and have only limited ICC membership so arnt permitted to play tests and only play qualification tournaments to try and get into the ICC cricket world cup or the champions trophy, which they did last time and guess who they met in the first match, world champions and no.1 ranked Australia-australia won by 9 wickets

Cricket and Rugby (which I love) just have no general public following or interest in the US.

They are bottom feeders in the US in terms of any kind of major interest, so as such the US will pretty much always suck at those.

Putting a US team in cricket would be like the Aussies throwing together a team to play American Football, or Baseball and taking on the best the US could offer.

As for International interest, Cricket and Baseball are probably in similar boats.

Cricket has England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Australia, SA and New Zealand as it's main base, with asome smaller nation interest.

Baseball has the US, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican republic, Mexico, Venezuela and Taiwan as it's main interested parties, again along with some countries just starting to take interest (China, Italy for example)

toscano said:

Cricket and Baseball are two boring peas in a pod. At least Baseball is over in 3 hours, what does a cricket match run, 5 DAYS ? Often ending in a tie ? 5 days of sitting through that crap and it's a bloody TIE ??? Holy crap....

but its a good excuse for 5 days off work and a good drink:up:

toscano said:

Cricket and Baseball are two boring peas in a pod. At least Baseball is over in 3 hours, what does a cricket match run, 5 DAYS ? Often ending in a tie ? 5 days of sitting through that crap and it's a bloody TIE ??? Holy crap....

Cricket has the ablity to be exciting for 5 days....

Baseball is over in 3 hours yes, but 3 hours of baseball feels like more than 5 days of cricket, to me.....

toscano said:

Well, didn't the USA actually get further than Italy and England last time around in the World Cup ?

Mexico maybe even with England ?

It counts less, Usa got out at 1/4 final, like England, while Italy got out at 1/8. From what I know, the FIFA ranking is based mostly on the amount of played games. Usa and Mexico play more often than Italy and England.
For example: A team (X) plays 3 times in a month, and wins a couple of games, another team (Y) plays 1 game in 2 months, even if that team wins 5-0 the other team becomes more points because of the most played games

Last edited:
toscano said:

Can't claim to be a massive cricket fan, but if you'd seen last years ashes series, the last thing you could call it was boring, one of the great sporting events ever, with both nations fully playing their part, it was fantastic, but then again if you've only got a short attention span, i suppose netball, sorry basketball would be better for you.

jimmmm said:

Can't claim to be a massive cricket fan, but if you'd seen last years ashes series, the last thing you could call it was boring, one of the great sporting events ever, with both nations fully playing their part, it was fantastic,

:yes:

I think cricket's one of those sports that when it's played well can be one of the most exciting sports on earth but played badly and it's soooooo boring!

Anyway, I'm being off topic.

Christ , go to a cricket thread or start one and stop ranting about one of the most boring sports in the world, this is a Football thread. Moderator please :mad:

bad news if you are french as cisse looks to have broken his leg in a friendly tonight!

bad new if you are a german as ballak likely to miss opener on fri!

good news for england as rooney gets go ahead and flies back to Germany!!

its coming home!

bad news if you are french as cisse looks to have broken his leg in a friendly tonight!

bad new if you are a german as ballak likely to miss opener on fri!

good news for england as rooney gets go ahead and flies back to Germany!!

its coming home!

Yeah, I really don't think there's a need for such an argument to go on in the World Cup thread. Let's get back on topic, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom