The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely horrible choice of strikers.

rooney - won't be fit in time
owen - may or may not be fit in time
crouch - :|
walcott - hasn't played in either the national side or one single prem game

defoe and johnson are alternates and where the fuck is d. bent?!?!?!? and SWP for that matter?!?!?
:madspit: :mad:

Aardvark747 said:

England squad

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich City)

Full-backs: Gary Neville (Manchester United), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)

Centre-backs: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Sol Campbell (Arsenal)

Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid, captain), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Michael Carrick (Tottenham Hotspur), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Stand-by players: Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton Athletic), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace)

Very suprised at Lennon's inclusion. But could Theo prove to be a international star at his very young age?
Nice to see Reo-Coker on stand-by there, and as for Wright-Phillips, perhaps he will see his mistake at leaving for where the money was, 1 year too early now, as i'm certain he would've had a good season at Man City had he still been there and would've been picked by Sven as a result.

i agree about Wright-Phillips.

and as for the goal scoring "crisis", Lampard and Gerrard scored 42 goals for their clubs this season & Lamps was top scorer in qualifying.

:shrug:

anyone know Owens status at the moment?

gonna root among others for Japan , and it's great that they are only gonna play Brazil in the last game , which is good coz they can already be classified , and people tell me something , what is the group again BTW of Neederlands ?

Hi U2@NYC! :wave:

I'll be cheering for my home country.

Hup Holland Hup!

And hope I'll be able to watch some of their games here on TV.
Or in a bar or cafe!

Last edited:
After watching Argentina's coach list of players for world cup I must say now that I find them a bit overrated. They(aside from Messi and maybe Teves) don't seem to have top world class players like before.Same goes for Italy and Holland.Strong teams , but not strong enough for Brasil and England. I would keep an eye on France and Portugal.

Hey dont forget Spain. though they dont have a good record in cups , they do have some great players , they could surprise

How the hell can Darren Bent be the top scoring Englishman in his own league, and the bright spark of what was a really crap Charlton team, and still not even make the stand by list?

Go Togo Go!

to-lgflag.gif

Say that 10 times fast!

roy keane said:
Serbia has the hardest group.For a long time I didn't consider Ivory Coast good team but now I see they have 4-5 very good players.Our chance is to beat them and take one more point from Holland and with those four points to pray for a second phase.
I am also a long time England supporter.They still have chance to win WC ,even without Rooney.

I would say Argentina has the hardest group, teams like Ivory Coast and Serbia will play against them having nothing to lose, and many things may come out. I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina goes out after the first phase actually. I believe that one between Ivory Coast and Serbia will pass to the second phase, while one between Argentina and Holland will say goodbye

Apparently turns out Sven has only seen Walcott play on video.

Here's a guy who was on the losing side of the FA Youth Cup Final last year...the captain of the winners is now in the Falkirk reserves. Wonders never cease.

sven's risks are...interesting.

SWP's absense is glaring, i don't care what anyone says.

however, those worried about not enough scoring from england's strikers have to remember that gerrard and lampard definitely have finishing touches, and proved it again in the EPL this year.

Folks since there's a lot of question about the eng team here , tell me somethin , what do ya all say about this rumor that almost got in reality 'bout the brazilian coach Big Phil in your team ?

J_NP said:
Folks since there's a lot of question about the eng team here , tell me somethin , what do ya all say about this rumor that almost got in reality 'bout the brazilian coach Big Phil in your team ?

:shrug: Mclaren will be the new manager.

the process was stupid & handled badly etc :blahblah: but it's finished now, they picked the new manager so i really don't care about the Scolari thing anymore.

i'm just waiting for the world cup now :drool:

It's funny but I get this feeling that it was the british tabloids that actually decided it , I mean the way they put the things , nobody can blame Phil for being pissed , who wouldn't , and now they are underrating him , I always knew the history of the brit tabs , but didnt know they kind of had so much power and influence.

I think the english (tabloids and many fans) wanted an english coach, an english man. They had enough with Eriksson and now they needed to get a brit back. I think they made the right choice, I personnally admire Mclaren, maybe even Allardyce would have been a good choice. I must say that my fav one was Martin O'Neill, this man has a great charisma, he would have pulled England like a truck! But I feel McLaren will do a fine job, I don't believe he will fail. And then Scolari, he's a good coach, but nothing special. He hasn't actually a great experience in europe, and remembering Euro 04 as he coached Portugal, well, he really didn't impress that much, he had a few critics, so.......................this is how football goes. England is a hard work, there's a lot of pression, I think that after a half decade of Sven they need Brit to put things back together. Look once again what Eriksson has done, what kind of players has he taken?!?!? He really wants to make something with a 50% Rooney and Walcott?? Why has left off Wright-Phillips?!?
Strange man.........................

MMm I get what you mean mate . Though I would say at least Scolari is a very good coach , that result of Portugal , although they didnt win the Euro was pretty impressive , specially if u look at the history of Portugal . And Brother u would be surprised with this thing of pression , I get what you mean in England and all , but u know u would be surprised in knowing that there's as much as pression , or even more in places like Italy or specially Germany , which is the host , but like have 3 cups while England have only . Hell look at Brazil , 5 cups , and u have no idea the amount of critics in their coach Parreira . I got to say though we all wanted for days to be a national team coach , it's hell in a job . No wonder even the ones who win , dont last one day more after the cups.

Mmm thats not the world cup

Edit.:

Here it is

Cafu_of_Brazil_World_Cup2002.jpg

Last edited:
*off-topic* BTW is only me or Messi does look like Christian Bale (aka the new Batman) in this photo ?

Me too -- and I just hope that would be "clean" sport, not like the crap we're having here in Italy due to the scandal of referee and sold matches :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom