The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit where its due, thats a cracking result for the aussies, especially after being reduced to 10 men with 30 mins. left.

this will probably be my only post in a world cup thread, because frankly soccer/football/whatever the heck you wanna call it bores me to tears... but i was stunned and sickened to see the overt racism that not only goes on, but is tollerated in certain parts of europe at matches, from bannanas being thrown at black players to facist salutes... it was disgusting to watch the report on sportscenter this morning about it.

I agree. Australia managing to hold their own against the 3rd ranked FIFA team in the world is indeed amazing. Cahill and Thompson coming on during the second half really helped tunred the tide.

nothing but good signs going into the world cup, hey i saw on the news last week that australia is planning to put in a bid for the 2014 or 2018 world cup, spearheadded by the victorian government

U2@NYC said:

No, but I know that I have some room to maneuver when someone like CKONE repeatedly uses the term "cheats".

Fair point mate.

Tell you what I will refer to Argentina as.....Argentina from now on and I will only refer to cheating argie when referring to the drug cheat himself/'86 hand ball cheat himself. I will ignore all other examples of cheating linked with Argentina.

No disrespect was intended and I quite liked your Royal Pussies quip - can be taken in so many ways but I like to think of you referring to our respected Royal heritage and to England being the big cats of world football. cheers :wink:

no harm no foul:up:

You know i fancy Ivory Coast to beat Holland to second place in the group stages, there always seems to be an African team that does well, think Senegal last time and Holland dont seem to play as a team nowadays. just got a feeling.

CKONE said:

Fair point mate.

Tell you what I will refer to Argentina as.....Argentina from now on and I will only refer to cheating argie when referring to the drug cheat himself/'86 hand ball cheat himself. I will ignore all other examples of cheating linked with Argentina.

No disrespect was intended and I quite liked your Royal Pussies quip - can be taken in so many ways but I like to think of you referring to our respected Royal heritage and to England being the big cats of world football. cheers :wink:

no harm no foul:up:

I dont wanna sound anti Argentinian and this will be my only post on the subject, They have produced some great players Maradona [handball aside] Kempes, but i cant help thinking of the 1978 World Cup when Argentina needed 6 goals against Peru to prevent Brazil reaching the final and what was the score?

Dont ya just hate FIFA rankings ? always makes me laugh how much of a bullshit kinda thing it is.

DignityPassesBy said:
Yea they are sux. How teams like the USA and Mexico (no offence to them) can be ranked 5th and 6th above teams like England and Italy is a joke

Well, didn't the USA actually get further than Italy and England last time around in the World Cup ?

Mexico maybe even with England ?

zepher25 said:
Internationally America sucks at sports, execpt for the olympics what decent sport world titles do they hold!

Athens 2004
Medal Table

Nation
Gold

Silver

Bronze
1. United States of America USA 35 40 27
2. People's Republic of China CHN 32 17 14
3. Russian Federation RUS 27 27 38
4. Australia AUS 17 16 16
5. Japan JPN 16 9 12

Turin 2006
Medal Table

Nation
Gold

Silver

Bronze
1. Germany GER 11 12 6
2. United States of America USA 9 9 7
3. Austria AUT 9 7 7
4. Russian Federation RUS 8 6 8
5. Canada CAN 7 10 7
I'd venture to suggest they'd win a "serious" Basketball and Baseball World Championships (club tournament is orders of magnitude than any hypothetical or otherwise 'world championship). They'd also contend at Hockey.

toscano said:

Athens 2004
Medal Table

Nation
Gold

Silver

Bronze
1. United States of America USA 35 40 27
2. People's Republic of China CHN 32 17 14
3. Russian Federation RUS 27 27 38
4. Australia AUS 17 16 16
5. Japan JPN 16 9 12

Turin 2006
Medal Table

Nation
Gold

Silver

Bronze
1. Germany GER 11 12 6
2. United States of America USA 9 9 7
3. Austria AUT 9 7 7
4. Russian Federation RUS 8 6 8
5. Canada CAN 7 10 7
I'd venture to suggest they'd win a "serious" Basketball and Baseball World Championships (club tournament is orders of magnitude than any hypothetical or otherwise 'world championship). They'd also contend at Hockey.

Thought the Aussies were good at tennis at least ???

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/entrysystem/

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

youll notice i said execpt for the onlympic. at least Australia dosent run a "world series" with no other countries, what kind of crap is that

Last edited:
zepher25 said:
youll notice i said execpt for the onlympic. at least Australia dosent run a "world series" with no other countries, what kind of crap is that

So your beef with US sports is down to that ? Bit of a far cry, but I guess players from all over the world do participate........

Like watching paint dry regardless.

thats not what my beef is down to, it was just an example of how desperate the US is to claim to be champions that they would create a 'world' tournament any have no other countries compete, and yes baseball is like watching paint dry, cricket is far more exciting-another thing the US is crap at

toscano said:

Well, didn't the USA actually get further than Italy and England last time around in the World Cup ?

Mexico maybe even with England ?

No, England got to the Quarter finals..so did the USA.

Mexico lost in the round of 16..to the US.

not sure what Italy did, seems like they lost to Korea..i'm not sure which round though.

the rankings system is screwed up partly because you have...example:

the euopean zone games vs the north/central american zone games. now the european zone is far higher quality and they play each other mostly, whereas the half decent NA teams (US & Mexico) also play each other (teams like Panama)

the difference in quality is immense, so the USA & Mexico stay ranked high (and qualify easily) because they can beat the low quality teams in qualifying.

the best teams in europe would love to get a group that easy to qualify for the WC, but they don't. because all the groups in Europe are harder.

if you put either the USA or Mexico in a european group they would struggle to qualify...

Last edited:
zoobeatle said:
You know i fancy Ivory Coast to beat Holland to second place in the group stages, there always seems to be an African team that does well, think Senegal last time and Holland dont seem to play as a team nowadays. just got a feeling.

If that second place is enough to continue on to the next round, I'll take it!

Earnie Shavers said:

Which would be because they are a part of the 95% of the world that does not give a flying fuck about cricket.

you might struggle with that argument when you consider the massive importance placed on the sport in places like Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka - these are big countries that live and breath the sport.

Lesser nations are now getting internationally recognised such as Zimabwe, Bangladesh, Holland even, and of course SA, Aus and NZ it has a massive following.

i would think that cricket has a bigger international following and importance than baseball. the USA does have an international team, they just suck and have only limited ICC membership so arnt permitted to play tests and only play qualification tournaments to try and get into the ICC cricket world cup or the champions trophy, which they did last time and guess who they met in the first match, world champions and no.1 ranked Australia-australia won by 9 wickets

zepher25 said:
yes baseball is like watching paint dry, cricket is far more exciting-another thing the US is crap at

Cricket and Baseball are two boring peas in a pod. At least Baseball is over in 3 hours, what does a cricket match run, 5 DAYS ? Often ending in a tie ? 5 days of sitting through that crap and it's a bloody TIE ??? Holy crap....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom