The Official Interference Super (it's two words, people) Bowl Thread - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #511
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


Five whole weeks, you really are dedicated.
Damn straight.

If they suck next season, so be it. I stuck with the Wings, Tigers and Pistons through their highs and lows. I'm at best a casual sports fan. I don't have time to follow every single game/statistic/etc. I like watching because it's fun.
__________________

__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #512
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

And that, in a nutshell, is why I hate frontrunner sports fans.

Rant over...deep breath. Okay, I'm calmed down now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Didn't mean to get you all fired up. My bad.
__________________

__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #513
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel


Damn straight.

If they suck next season, so be it. I stuck with the Wings, Tigers and Pistons through their highs and lows. I'm at best a casual sports fan. I don't have time to follow every single game/statistic/etc. I like watching because it's fun.
So what happens if the Lions go 12-4 next year and the Giants miss the playoffs?
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #514
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


Didn't mean to get you all fired up. My bad.


You know, that was honestly the first time I've ever really thought about the connections between the Patriots and frontrunners and why I hate both, and got it all down in writing. Very therapeutic.

I still hate your team, though.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #515
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


So what happens if the Lions go 12-4 next year and the Giants miss the playoffs?
You act as if that could ever really happen.

I'll continue to support the Giants. And if I say different next season, feel free to call me on it.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #516
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


So what happens if the Lions go 12-4 next year and the Giants miss the playoffs?

Oh Dave. :silly:
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #517
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:02 AM


You never know, who thought the Browns would miss the playoffs by one game this year?

For that matter, who (besides Jon Kitna) thought the Lions would even get close to .500 this year?

You know that when the Lions do well (and they will eventually, every team has their year sooner or later - except the Cubs, of course), you will want to root for them. But you won't be able to with any kind of credibility. You were getting excited for them when they were doing well at the start of the year, and that makes me feel like you ought to give them more than one mediocre season before you give up on them forever.

It's obviously your call. But if you don't stick to it 100%, you're going to get it HARD.

ETA: There was no pun intended there - seriously
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 02:02 AM
I would cheer louder and longer if the Ford's sold the Lions than I would if the Lions won the SB under the Fords.

One championship could not make up for what they have done.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #519
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


You never know, who thought the Browns would miss the playoffs by one game this year?

For that matter, who (besides Jon Kitna) thought the Lions would even get close to .500 this year?

You know that when the Lions do well (and they will eventually, every team has their year sooner or later - except the Cubs, of course), you will want to root for them. But you won't be able to with any kind of credibility. You were getting excited for them when they were doing well at the start of the year, and that makes me feel like you ought to give them more than one mediocre season before you give up on them forever.

It's obviously your call. But if you don't stick to it 100%, you're going to get it HARD.

ETA: There was no pun intended there - seriously
Suuuuuure.

The Lions have never won a championship. Their last playoff game was something like 18 years ago, which they lost. They seem to enjoy setting the bar for sucking more than they have the previous year. When I decided I was going to start following football this year of course I went with my home team. As the season progressed (and after the loss to yes, the Giants) I realized why I never really attached myself to the team. I decided to shop around for another one - insert the Giants.

Yes, I purposely left that one wide open for any puns.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #520
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
I would cheer louder and longer if the Ford's sold the Lions than I would if the Lions won the SB under the Fords.

One championship could not make up for what they have done.
William Clay Ford

Daddy wouldn't give him the family business so he got a professional sports team to play around with. Top notch job he's done, hasn't he?

Dalton, I'd advise you - if you're thinking of switching teams, do it quietly and not to the Giants.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #521
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Too...easy...must...not...make crude joke...

With that explanation, it makes a little more sense.

It seems you've made up your mind - you're a grown woman, you're allowed - and although the team you picked is full of jackasses (prepare to be lipped for picking an NFC East rival), I'll back off.

I only say this because you've got a point with the Leafs/Canucks scenario in my case (although it IS different, because the Leafs aren't from my hometown).

But any wavering and I'm gonna stick it to you good (haha - okay, that was the last one ).
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #522
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

The Lions have never won a championship.
False. The Lions were quite the team back before the Super Bowl - they won 4, count em 4, NFL Championships. More titles than the Patriots have. So you could really argue that the Lions are like the pre-2004 Red Sox of the NFL - winning all sorts of titles a few generations ago. Things are bound to turn around at some point - it's the law of averages.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #523
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Oh, how I would kill for this facebook group to have a wall to post on.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5515404709
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #524
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel


Dalton, I'd advise you - if you're thinking of switching teams, do it quietly and not to the Giants.

I gave up on the NFL a long time ago. I just root for whoever will entertain me more.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #525
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 01:02 AM
This is worth linking to: Bill Simmons's rules for team loyalties

When your owner employs Wayne Fontes for seven years and Matt Millen for eight, and the franchise sucks so hard that it drives Barry Sanders into early retirement, I think you can claim an exemption under rule 19e.

The Mara family have been pretty good owners throughout the history of the Giants though, so you better be committed to them.
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com