The Official Interference Super (it's two words, people) Bowl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you hating on Belicheck...I think all he was focused on was getting the hell off of the field. Why come back with one second? It is not needed. It is a non-issue!

Second note: Pretty damn smart of him to throw the red review flag on the 12-man call against the Giants.

The only bad call from Belicheck: Going for it on fourth down early in the game.

tpsreports2424 said:
Ok im come to run to the computer for headache's post

where is headache??

My guess is the guy is partying like there's no tomorrow. I'm sure this more than makes up for the Mets disaster at the end of last season.

Finally, New York gets a victory over our neighbors from New England.

The only tiny positive out of this disaster was this guy getting to go out a winner after 60 years.

02super01_600.jpg

Ok, there's no way I'm going to be able to go through this entire thread, so here are my brief thoughts before I light Bill Simmons on fire:

- Congratulations to the New York Giants, who were the better team today.

- Giving Eli Manning the MVP award is fine, but I thought that the player who had the biggest impact on the game was clearly Giants DE Osi Umenyiora. I hope Bill Belichick makes Matt Light wear a t-shirt that says "Property of Osi Umenyiora" all throughout training camp next year.

- This was not one of Belichick's finer performances. Throughout the first half it became clear that the Giants had the edge with their defensive fron four, so I thought that the Patriots needed to abandon the 2001 Patriots attack (one-back, 3 WR formation, power runs, slants and screen passes up the wazoo) and either go to the 2 TE package (as they did much of last season) or the spread offense (as they finally did during the last two drives).

I also have no idea why Belichick didn't challenge the fumble in the first half that Ahmad Bradshaw recovered. It seemed clear to me that Pierre Woods had fallen on top of it, then had it stripped away by Bradshaw after he was down.

- I don't think anything needs to be made of Belichick congratulating Tom Coughlin and walking off the field with :02 left. The result of the game was clear at that point, and I assume he thought that either the game was over or that the referees had the power to end it if he conceded. I'd be shocked if any of the Giants were offended by it.

- I don't think too much really should be made of the Patriots' 18-1 record either. 18-game win streaks aren't that uncommon in baseball or basketball; it just seems a lot more impressive in football because it takes up the entire season. This season was by no means a failure, just not as good as it could have been.

- Tom Brady's ankle looked fine -- it's unlikely he would have overthrown Randy Moss on a fly pattern if he had trouble pushing off of it. This wasn't one of his finest performances obviously, but it was certainly better than the game he played against San Diego.

- The Patriots really have to wonder if signing Randy Moss to a contract worth $7-10 MM per year is worth it when he's probably on the downside (perhaps gradual, but a downside nonetheless) of his career and the Patriots need to plug holes at linebacker and in the secondary and eventually need to start replenishing their offensive line.

- Tiki Barber can continue to suck it.

- New England fans everywhere should hearken to the wisdom of the philosopher Manuel Aristides Ramirez: "Why should we panic? We've got a great team. If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

speedracer said:
- Giving Eli Manning the MVP award is fine, but I thought that the player who had the biggest impact on the game was clearly Giants DE Osi Umenyiora. I hope Bill Belichick makes Matt Light wear a t-shirt that says "Property of Osi Umenyiora" all throughout training camp next year.

I thought Tuck was better today, very disruptive

BluRmGrl said:

Oh, I've got plenty more opinions/or argument - I've just found when discussing sports, men very often won't even consider my view, so I'm usually willing to leave the conversation with that bon mot. Sports aren't life or death to me, so I can walk away from the discussion and feel no less a person. (Not insinuating that you couldn't.)

As for only mentioning Belichick, I pointed out the coach because he's supposed to be the head of the team & I believed his behavior to be in poor taste. See? That's opinion - might be popular, might be unfounded, but it's what I think and I'm entitled to it.

As for the intitial presentation of my opinion, you're absolutely right- it was 'gloaty'. Like I said before, I love to see an underdog win. I could have found a less abrasive way of making my point, but I didn't and I'm willing to take the heat for that.

Finally, please don't think that, as an American, I enjoy watching the displays from players after a big sack or an impressive tackle. I wish the NFL would be more do more to cut that crap out - not just the 'excessive displays' in the end zone after a touch down.

Like I said before, I don't hate the Patriots. I'm just glad they lost the Super Bowl and I think their head coach made a terribly low-class move. I'm not telling anyone else that's how they have to think so where's the problem?

I don't have a problem with your opinion per se, but my criticism was with the way it was presented, perhaps because i was kinda rooting for the Patriots so that i could see something really, really historic.

As i go back over your post looking for another paragraph it seems we're largely agreeing, although i don't see Belichick leaving early to be as big of a thing as you do. So perhaps i'll just round this post out with some type of cliched sitcom summation.

I'm not going to dismiss anyones knowledge of sport or anything based on gender, face to face or otherwise. Never seen the point of it. To be honest my opinion should be dismissed first because of the screw all i know about NFL despite watching a game a week (or less) for over two years.

I know you weren't insinuating anything about if i can or can't walk away from a conversation and feel less of a person or whatever because it's sport. As far as i'm concerned sports are a way to have fun, playing or as being a fan. Even if you're sitting in the rain while your team is getting whipped in front of you there's people making jokes about how crap we are and so on. And even if it isn't fun at the time usually its fun to reminisce about, although there are games i can't watch or think about because it hurts too much or is just too frustrating (heh, try following the teams i follow and not find that to be a common feeling). This has been, if nothing else, a fun way to pass some time.

And i wasn't suggesting every American loves the over-the-top displays, i was just expressing why my opinion of what Belichick did might differ from the majority (or minority, whatever).

All i can say is thank god i'm not going to be home for a few days, i don't think i could bear watching ESPN for the next week.

PS Normally i love an underdog too

Cue sappy string music, and out.

Wow, that had to be the most exciting Super Bowl of all time!

You have got to give it to Eli. What a move there when he looked sacked. I really didn't think he'd be able to pull off that late game winning drive, but it was one of the most incredible drives I've ever seen. Three great catches by the recievers in the clutch. Burress came through when he had to as well.

The DEFENSE kept them in the game with their aggressive play and numerous sacks of Brady. They deserve more credit than the offense. Tuck #91 is truly the unsung hero of the game.

Congratulations Giants! Two in a row for the Manning bros! I think Peyton looked more thrilled for Eli than he did for himself. Don Shula finally pops the cork.

What a night!

Last edited:
speedracer said:
Ok, there's no way I'm going to be able to go through this entire thread, so here are my brief thoughts before I light Bill Simmons on fire:

- Congratulations to the New York Giants, who were the better team today.

- This was not one of Belichick's finer performances. Throughout the first half it became clear that the Giants had the edge with their defensive fron four, so I thought that the Patriots needed to abandon the 2001 Patriots attack (one-back, 3 WR formation, power runs, slants and screen passes up the wazoo) and either go to the 2 TE package (as they did much of last season) or the spread offense (as they finally did during the last two drives).

I also have no idea why Belichick didn't challenge the fumble in the first half that Ahmad Bradshaw recovered. It seemed clear to me that Pierre Woods had fallen on top of it, then had it stripped away by Bradshaw after he was down.

- I don't think anything needs to be made of Belichick congratulating Tom Coughlin and walking off the field with :02 left. The result of the game was clear at that point, and I assume he thought that either the game was over or that the referees had the power to end it if he conceded. I'd be shocked if any of the Giants were offended by it.

- I don't think too much really should be made of the Patriots' 18-1 record either. 18-game win streaks aren't that uncommon in baseball or basketball; it just seems a lot more impressive in football because it takes up the entire season. This season was by no means a failure, just not as good as it could have been.

- Tom Brady's ankle looked fine -- it's unlikely he would have overthrown Randy Moss on a fly pattern if he had trouble pushing off of it. This wasn't one of his finest performances obviously, but it was certainly better than the game he played against San Diego.

- The Patriots really have to wonder if signing Randy Moss to a contract worth $7-10 MM per year is worth it when he's probably on the downside (perhaps gradual, but a downside nonetheless) of his career and the Patriots need to plug holes at linebacker and in the secondary and eventually need to start replenishing their offensive line.

- Tiki Barber can continue to suck it.

- New England fans everywhere should hearken to the wisdom of the philosopher Manuel Aristides Ramirez: "Why should we panic? We've got a great team. If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

Well said, on all points. :up: I've got one final comment on Belichick & then I'm going to let it go: True - with :02 seconds on the clock & the possesion of the ball with opposing team, you know what the outcome of the game is going to be. But if staying on the field when the outcome of a game is clear, why didn't he walk off during regular season when they were up by 2 or more scores with 2 minutes, 3 minutes, whatever left on the clock? I mean, I don't think anything would have changed tonight if he'd stayed - it's just the principle of the thing to me. :silent:

Last edited:
coolian2 said:

I don't have a problem with your opinion per se, but my criticism was with the way it was presented, perhaps because i was kinda rooting for the Patriots so that i could see something really, really historic.

As i go back over your post looking for another paragraph it seems we're largely agreeing, although i don't see Belichick leaving early to be as big of a thing as you do. So perhaps i'll just round this post out with some type of cliched sitcom summation.

I'm not going to dismiss anyones knowledge of sport or anything based on gender, face to face or otherwise. Never seen the point of it. To be honest my opinion should be dismissed first because of the screw all i know about NFL despite watching a game a week (or less) for over two years.

I know you weren't insinuating anything about if i can or can't walk away from a conversation and feel less of a person or whatever because it's sport. As far as i'm concerned sports are a way to have fun, playing or as being a fan. Even if you're sitting in the rain while your team is getting whipped in front of you there's people making jokes about how crap we are and so on. And even if it isn't fun at the time usually its fun to reminisce about, although there are games i can't watch or think about because it hurts too much or is just too frustrating (heh, try following the teams i follow and not find that to be a common feeling). This has been, if nothing else, a fun way to pass some time.

And i wasn't suggesting every American loves the over-the-top displays, i was just expressing why my opinion of what Belichick did might differ from the majority (or minority, whatever).

All i can say is thank god i'm not going to be home for a few days, i don't think i could bear watching ESPN for the next week.

PS Normally i love an underdog too

Cue sappy string music, and out.

:up: Truce and cease-fire, OK? :D

zonelistener said:

Finally?

Yankees and Mets have OWNED the Red Sox for years (minus the last five).

1986? Bill Fucking Buckner?

Bucky Fucking Dent?

Finally?

Hey, that's 5 long years.

BTW, Bucky Fuckin' Dent went out the window in 2004. The BoSox have excorcised those demons.

NYers could easily say "David Fuckin' Ortiz".

Even though the Pats lost tonight, I still have the utmost respect for their team. I expect them to be at least in the Conference Championship game next season.

Where's Headache in a Suitcase? Not here I'm sure, must be lost in a daze of parties in the NY streets. Enjoy, our friend, you deserve it.

All credit to the Giants. That was an unbelievable performance. If the Patriots were going to go down, this wasn't a bad scenario. They went out to one of the great all-time Cinderella stories.

The Giants, destroyer of dreams. Travel to Tampa and win. OK, that's not such a big deal. But then they go to Dallas and win -- that's huge. Then they go to Green Bay in the sub-zero temps and beat Favre and the Packers. That's even bigger. Then they beat the otherworldly 18-0 Patriots on the game's biggest stage. Wow. As a fan of the game, I've got to say that that is SO cool.

As a Patriots fan, of course I'm disappointed, but I don't feel bad. Life goes on, and I was treated to watching what I'd say was the best football I've ever seen for so much of the season.

They're not the greatest team of all time -- they'd have had to have won the Superbowl for that. But they gave us so many thrills, so much fun.

I don't think Brady did anything to tarnish his Hall of Fame credentials. But he'll need to go a bit further if he wants to match up with Joe Montana for best ever. He's still got time, but there are no guarantees in this world.

Congratulations, Giants. You did football proud.

Okay, let me rant now (no response to any of these comments are needed):

FUCK YOU PATRIOTS!

- You cannot blame pumped in crowd noise.

- Maybe going out and trade-marking "19-0" wasn't such a good idea afterall

- Hmm. Brady hasn't won a championship in a couple of years. Does that make him a "choker" like Peyton?

Okay...I am done.

Eli winning MVP = result of zero football knowledge

The real MVP for the Gmen was Justin Tuck. Two sacks and a forced fumble > 19/34, 2 TDs, 1 INT

I actually know Jay Alford, No. 93 on the Giants. I plan on calling Jay Alford tomorrow. I am the sports editor of his hometown newspaper in Orange, N.J.

Alford had the sack with 19 seconds left in the game.

This is one of the greatest upsets in sports history. The Patriots, with their record-setting offense, were shut down completely. They needed just one win to complete a perfect season, something that has been done only one time, in 1972, a few months before I was even born.

How fitting that Burress, who predicted the Giants would win 23-17, caught the game-winning touchdown. Burress surprised Brady with his prediction. Remember, Brady was perplexed that the Pats would score just 17 points.

No, the Pats scored just 14 points.

I have to admit. I am not a Giants fan. I actually felt like crying when the game was over. I mean, the Pats were just one win from being undefeated. That is the ultimate dream for an NFL team.

LemonMelon said:
Eli winning MVP = result of zero football knowledge

The real MVP for the Gmen was Justin Tuck. Two sacks and a forced fumble > 19/34, 2 TDs, 1 INT

I thought Osi was better, especially considering he was gong up against a Pro Bowl tackle. No sacks, but plenty of pressure and a couple false start penalties.

But yeah, the Giants D-Line pretty much pwnz0r3d the Patriots today.

speedracer said:

:lol:

speedracer said:

:up:

speedracer said:

18-1 is pretty impressive. Only three teams in the last 35 years have been able to match a 18-1 record. It is not easy. But, you are sounding like a Colts fan now...justifying 18-1 without winning the big game. :wink:

speedracer said:

These two belong together. I could agree more about the LBs and OL. They could pick up a few WRs later in the draft that could perform well in the Patriots system. They need to focus on protecting Brady and adding some youth (or replacing) the LBs.

No matter what happens, the Patriots will be at or near the top of the AFC again next year.

Back
Top Bottom