The OFFICIAL Interference POST-World Cup Thread (PART 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MissMaCo said:
Hi, Zidane's interview with Canal + is now over. I've just watched it and I'd like to report a few things he said.

About the Materazzi episode:
Zidane first asked him to stop pulling his T-Shirt and added, joking, that if he wanted, he could give it to him at the end of the match. (hence Zidane's smile at the beginning)
Just after that Zidane walked away but he heard Materazzi insulting his mom and his sister, and he repeated the insults.

As expected, Zidane refused to say the exact words but we can all assume them I guess. He insisted on the fact that the insults were very serious, very hard.

Zidane said that the culprit has to be punished, and according to him, the culprit is the one who provokes.

He then insisted on the fact that his gesture can't be forgiven but he said that he doesn't regret his gesture because to him, regretting it would mean that Materazzi's insults were right.

Finally, Zidane apologized towards the audience and especially the children. He said that he couldn't have acted that way 10 minutes before the end of his career for no reason.

Zidane appeared very calm, kinda moved and so simple.

:heart: Zidane :heart:

Zidane is the man:rockon:

thanx for the info

Yes, thanks for the info.

But...

I still think that Zidane as a 34-year-old, extremely experienced player, should have been able to behave and control himself, regardless of what the idiot had been saying.

If a young and green 18-year-old player resorted to violence like Zidane did, it would be less surprising. Zidane should know better.

U2Man said:
Yes, thanks for the info.

But...

I still think that Zidane as a 34-year-old, extremely experienced player, should have been able to behave and control himself, regardless of what the idiot had been saying.

If a young and green 18-year-old player resorted to violence like Zidane did, it would be less surprising. Zidane should know better.

I think you're right. Zidane should have been used to hearing such things during games but apparently there was too much pressure around him because it was his last match etc. I think he acted like a man, forgetting he was on a field. That's a pity.

MissMaCo said:
About the Materazzi episode:
Zidane first asked him to stop pulling his T-Shirt and added, joking, that if he wanted, he could give it to him at the end of the match.
I'm not sure he was joking. of course he wouldn't tell you that... but look at his expression....... :|

U2girl said:
Mr "All mothers are sacred to me/Zidane provoked me".
of course nobody's interested in hearing Materazzi's version, what Zidane says is just puuuure truth. sure.

anyway, that wasn't so serious as I thought it was.
I still prefer the way we acted in Italy upon Totti and De Rossi's squalifications: they're grown men, let them deal with their own problems.
I don't understand why Zidane needs to be protected as if he was a god (which he clearly is NOT)... bah.

anyway, end of story.
we won, we lose, it's perfect :wink:

sraphim said:

I'm not sure he was joking. of course he wouldn't tell you that... but look at his expression....... :|

I'm pretty sure he was joking, Zidane hardly smiles.

Anyway even if it wasn't a joke, well it wasn't an insult :shrug:

and even if Materazzi's words were an insult (not a racist one, after all), they weren't a headbutt :shrug:
you know, I can't help but wonder what'd they do if it was the other way around (Materazzi hitting Zidane)... :|

sraphim said:
and even if Materazzi's words were an insult (not a racist one, after all), they weren't a headbutt :shrug:
you know, I can't help but wonder what'd they do if it was the other way around (Materazzi hitting Zidane)... :|

I dunno...

How do you know that the insults were not racist?
The insults were for Zidane's mom and sister but we don't know what sort of insult it was. Zidane didn't tell. But it was probably racist + machist words.

MissMaCo said:

How do you know that the insults were not racist?
I don't. how do you know they were? :wink:
Zidane said nothing about racist words, and Materazzi said he doesn't even know what "terrorist" means. what lips-readers and mind-readers say, I don't care. they're just speculating to sell more copies of their magazine or get more people to watch their shows.
my thought: Zidane made a big mistake, and France has been way too kind with him. :shrug:

anyway, I hope they will give the Golden Ball to Cannavaro because he deserves it.

OK - so Zidane has apologized. Unless I'm mistaken Materazzi has not - let's see if he does.

I dunno that Cannavaro :reject:

But I know Zidane, I know he made a mistake and I have to disagree with you: France is not too kind with him. The French people don't only see him as our best football player but as a model of the from rags to riches myth, integrity and generosity. Zidane gives a lot to France. He's involved in many charities and hey! we just can't help but loving him and defending him :)

Meh. Neither guy is backing down from his version of the story, but they both seem to have cooled down a bit. I think this is as close as it's going to get to a resolution, so perhaps we should just leave it at that.

ntalwar said:
OK - so Zidane has apologized. Unless I'm mistaken Materazzi has not - let's see if he does.
he didn't, not to Materazzi. he just apologized to the kids and his supporters...
I'm not saying you shouldn't stand by Zidane if you love him so much, but he's not a saint either... a hit like that could have stopped a human heart, he's been lucky that nothing happened.
that said, I'm sure the FIFA will deal with that properly :shrug:

you don't know Cannavaro? :eek:
he's the captain of our team...
p1.cannavarro.jpg

Last edited:
sraphim said:

Zidane said nothing about racist words, and Materazzi said he doesn't even know what "terrorist" means.

I'm an Italian supporter living in Canada(I have Italian parents but was born in Montreal) and I'd like to give my two cents.

Some people, in my opinion, are looking at this from a biased point of view. So I believe it's important for some people to take a step back. Let's look at the facts:

Fact: Materazzi grabbed Zidane's jersey and may have also grabbed his nipple.

Fact(well not really but it looks that way on the video): following the tugging of the shirt it seems like Zidane is smiling and saying something to Materazzi.

Fact: it WOULD have ended there because Zidane was jogging ahead of Materazzi.

Fact: Materazzi clearly said some incredibly insulting words.

Fact: Zidane head-butted Materazzi

What Zidane did was inexcusable and wrong. But why did Materazzi have to say anything at all? Whatever he said it clearly got under Zidane's skin.

Yes I know trash talk happens all the time in sports. But trash talk about the person: "Hey man you suck." or "You couldn't score if you were aiming for the ocean." Yeah, I know not incredibly insulting stuff but you know what I mean. Why involve family?

Both are at fault and unfortunately,for me anyway, the end does not justify the means. Neither should have done what they did and they should have just let their talent speak for themselves.

Fact: Does anybody out there actually believe what Materazzi says? Who post-9/11 does not know what a terrorist means? Where has Materazzi been the past 5 years?

Please, it's time for everyone to take a step back and look at this from all angles. There's two sides to every story and unfortunately, with the absence of microphones, we will never truly know the full story.

Materazzi isn't a genius, I can easily believe he doesn't know what terrorist means... or at least, I can believe that he wouldn't use it as an insult.
and btw, I never said that Materazzi is a saint. but as you said trash talk happens (I don't like it, but it happens) and a professionist must know how to react - with words rather than actions, because the moment you hit the other player you're just giving in to his game

Well said BonoManiac.

The point I was trying to make is that neither are saints. Both deserve discipline.

BonoManiac thank you for your post :up:

I think Materazzi's comment about the "I don't know what a terrorist is" is obviously ironic.

sraphim, now I know Cannavaro :flirt:, I knew him actually, I just mixed him with another player.

:D

Last edited:
All i can say is OLD NEWS get over it.

Its a bit pathetic now, it was a exciting final and all people can talk about is 5 mins of madness.

vaz02 said:
All i can say is OLD NEWS get over it.

Its a bit pathetic now, it was a exciting final and all people can talk about is 5 mins of madness.

I'm sure you can get over it. Maybe some people like sraphim
and I like to gently talk about something pathetic :up:

sraphim said:
Materazzi isn't a genius, I can easily believe he doesn't know what terrorist means... or at least, I can believe that he wouldn't use it as an insult.

While I agree with the rest of your post this point really bugs me.

As a member of the Italian national team, one of football's most storied teams, you have to assume that they are a high-value target for terrorists. Even more so when they are at international tournaments such as the World Cup.

That being said, I have to assume that the team would have had some training about the dangers of terrorism. Maybe a video or something similar. In addition, Materazzi would have noticed the security in place during the World Cup and a logical person would have compared it to security pre- 9/11 or even pre-Madrid.

Has Materazzi lived under a rock all these years?

or we could talk about Cannavaro... :drool:

eheh j/k :wink:

anyway, the Gazzetta interviewed Materazzi just a few hours ago and they will publish the article tomorrow... he spoke about the incidend with Zidane too.
let's hear what he has to say :shrug:

Last edited:
no... rumour has it that he could go to Manchester Utd along with Lippi.... but that is just a rumour, he has a family here in Italy and he said he'd rather stay an play in his country :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom