The official Fall 2007 Back to School Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I just got my first full-time teaching job, in the writing department of a college in upstate NY. I'm teaching three classes there and tutoring four hours a week. Our classes start later this week.

I'm also teaching an advanced creative writing class at the university I graduated from this spring. The first day of that class is Monday. I'm excited to be taking my students to hear John Irving read at our university, and to hear Salman Rushdie read at another university a month later. Field trips

This is going to be my busiest semester of teaching yet, but it's also going to be my first time making real money and having a full faculty benefits package.

Feel free to send paper writing questions my way
Wow, that's great, I'm also teaching literature and creative writing classes, however, here it is something that you can not do on university (we wish!), but on several other institutions. I am a trained literature and poetry teacher and my classes start the first week of October. Our semesters are almost the same as university semesters, only the mid term holidays are shorter; at university they last a whole month (February), for us they only last a week (like regular school holidays, usually the first or second week of February). My regular classes are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 6 to 9 p. m. Apart from that, I have singular workshops on several weekends throughout the semester, and in Novemer I'll be going to Venice with a class (we make several trips to inspiring places throughout the year). I also sometimes collaborate with a friend of mine who is a painter and has a diploma in art therapy (something I intend to do as well within the near future); we do painting and writing classes together, which is always very interesting.

However, it's almost impossible to do that as a full-time main job, because it's tough to have enough classes to earn enough money, so I'm doing it as my second job. I rarely have classes in summer (I had one at the beginning of August, but that was all), because I usually need the summer to take courses myself, to read new books, do a bit of writing and be creative again, come up with new concepts. I still have my daytime-job and it's much less stress in summer, because I don't have the second job, but I love teaching, I love communicating, so I'm really starting to look forward to the new semester now. I usually have September to prepare the new classes.

Please tell me about your experiences at the Irving and Rushdie lectures. We had Salman Rushdie here in Austria last year as part of a literature symposion that I was also involved in, it was very interesting.

I would like to hear about your experiences with your classes and wish you good luck!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Sounds like the first student protest should be started
An army of one

Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Haha, I need $25K/year...there is little chance to make that much in my semester off.
Wow, and here students go on the street protesting against €500 per semester.

On the other hand, our universities often are not that well-equipped and under-funded which also explains why our best university is ranked 54th internationally.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Wow, and here students go on the street protesting against €500 per semester.

On the other hand, our universities often are not that well-equipped and under-funded which also explains why our best university is ranked 54th internationally.
Same here. We'd never had university fees until the year 2000, when a new government decided to let students pay 370 euros per semester, which has led to a lot of protests. People are still protesting, mainly because the money doesn't go into improving infrastructure which is still catastrophic in most of our universities.

I'm glad I finished before the new fee was launched.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Starting 8th grade on Wednesday (I feel so young! ) My schedule is great. I have all honors classes and ASB (Associated Student Body). This year'll be a lot of work, but I'm ready for it

plus we get the big lockers this year
Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I have enrolement for A2 courses on the 3rd and then classes start on the 10th. I'm actually quite looking forward to going back, I've been off for so long (since the beginning of June) and it'll be nice to see people It'll wear off in all of 2 days as soon as I remember how much I hate waking up early and getting the train in At least I'm able to drop french
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Lies, I am really fearing the helicopter parents. i'm one of 10 members of our Orientation Committee and the freshmen arrive tuesday with their hovering parents. And I've got duty directing move in for the dorm with nearly half the freshman class in it (though I volunteered... because I am severely attracted to one of the RAs there....)

I've been here for a week today (early for orientation...campus is a ghost town). Senior year. That is both exciting, as I am ready to be in the "real world" in many ways and excited for my tentative post-grad travel plans... but it's also terrifying becuase it's only one more year of college and the bills-free life that goes with it. I'm still meeting people, improving my writing in class, etc and here I am with no one older, getitng ready to write a 2 credit thesis and job hunt and stuff. WEIRD!!!!

Plus I'm an f-ing senior with 9:30 classes every flippin' day - I am so damn angry at the econ department, who schedules an upper level class that early???? They better not do the same in the spring because I cannot focus that early in the morning.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I had a class my senior year at 7:45. I hated it, but I sucked it up and dealt with it. I'm not much of a morning person, but it made me realize I won't be able to set my schedule my whole life.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We don't have campus dorms for every students here in Germany, so many are living in flats or do flat-sharing.
Sometimes one moves out so they are looking for others to rent the room, or some are starting a new community and have some rooms over.
So, before someone gets in that person normally comes for an introduction and interview to see whether the person fits, and I've heard from several people that 18 years and older guys and girls came with there parents for the interview.
In one case the mother came with her son and spoke about what kind of person he was and such, and he didn't say a word.
Later they are probably surprised they didn't get the room. :roll:

I hate when I have to take classes that start at 8 in the morning.

And I hate exams on Saturdays.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, last year I had a roommate I'd never met (we were matched by the university). She was a 25 year old grad student, getting her MA. I moved in a couple of days before her and so she came into the apartment with her mother. Who introduced us, and spoke for her daughter, informing me that she was a very nice person, that she had a car and wouldn't mind taking me grocery shopping, that she's quiet and clean and then very politely questioned me about my background.

I was torn on whether this was cute or just over the top. But she was a wonderful roommate in the end!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosLil'Pal94
Starting 8th grade on Wednesday (I feel so young! ) My schedule is great. I have all honors classes and ASB (Associated Student Body). This year'll be a lot of work, but I'm ready for it

plus we get the big lockers this year

that's way cool maddy! good luck!!

My son, Liam starts 4th grade tomorrow... I feel old................
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Just wait a few more years :bittersweet:
Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Hey, last year I had a roommate I'd never met (we were matched by the university). She was a 25 year old grad student, getting her MA. I moved in a couple of days before her and so she came into the apartment with her mother. Who introduced us, and spoke for her daughter, informing me that she was a very nice person, that she had a car and wouldn't mind taking me grocery shopping, that she's quiet and clean and then very politely questioned me about my background.

I was torn on whether this was cute or just over the top. But she was a wonderful roommate in the end!
I'd be a little creeped out, but think she was a nice person. I guess I'd rather have someone question my background than not ever care.

What gets under my skin is when the parents come down to my office, ask about whether or not we have some jobs for students available, and when we say yes, they actually want to do the interview FOR their child or be in the room WITH their child!!!! HELLO!!! Your kid is 17/18 and you still WANT him to defer to you?!? And any 18 year old who's never done a job interview alone sure has some catching up to do!

Or, we have this thing called First Aid where we have the incoming freshmen bring us their computers if they want help getting setup for ResNet and wireless (we do not use open networks) and most times the parents bring in the kids' computers and get all huffy when we say we can't help them b/c their child is going to have to login and no, we can't just change someone else's password without them asking just b/c the parent wants to do it for the kid.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm Vice President of my junior class this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 AM   #45
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:29 PM
My new timetable started this morning and I did with it, too, because I am a control freak and need to start off organised. It overlaps for a week with my old one which I have exams for. But I do an accelerated programme and don't really take breaks unless I want a 13 week block of holidays.