The official Fall 2007 Back to School Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Actually, earlier. We start in October and finish in February, then rest of February and March off and summer semester is April to July.
Only the term papers are often scheduled for some time after the exams, like mid-August or mid-March.
Thankfully we have no summer semester.

Although I worked this whole summer. Feels like I never left!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Thankfully we have no summer semester.

Although I worked this whole summer. Feels like I never left!
Good for you, we have no summer.

I wondered why we have so short semesters, now I know.
Some Unis only have winter or summer semesters either. I expected it to be that way and was surprised to have both summer and winter semester.
We still have the advantage that we don't need half the year to work as hell to pay our fees.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
This is the year where I actually have to work hard, Junior year in high school. My schedule's pretty good this year, at least compared to last year. It's gonna be fun.
Yeah, the big year for college. I'm a Junior this year also. We start after Labor Day. Like you, my schedule has improved exponentially. Last year I didn't get a lunch, rather a 9:00 in the morning study hall. This year? Fuckin' lunch! Hells yeah.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

We still have the advantage that we don't need half the year to work as hell to pay our fees.
Haha, I need $25K/year...there is little chance to make that much in my semester off.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Yeah, the big year for college. I'm a Junior this year also. We start after Labor Day. Like you, my schedule has improved exponentially. Last year I didn't get a lunch, rather a 9:00 in the morning study hall. This year? Fuckin' lunch! Hells yeah.
You didn't get a lunch? What type of school allows that? That sounds more like Guantanomo Bay than high school.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I'm done with school (finished May '06), but boy do I hate "back to school"! It's the worst time of the year at work, mostly b/c of the parents. They call ALL day long in these annoying whiny voices.."I bought my son a new computer and it won't connect to the Internet..." OMG, cut the umbilical cord already!!! Tell your SON to call so I can help HIM. The best is when the whole family acutally comes down to the office, the parents stand there bitching and moaning, and the kid who's starting college is standing in the back looking like he wishes he was dead, mumbling "mom, I'll take care of it later...mom let it go...". Ugh, the helicopter parents are the worst! Parents shouldn't be allowed on campus during move-in week unless they are doing manual labor.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, Anitram! I bought two sets of towels, maybe I'll get more when I get down there. I'm also bringing some kettle corn to share, haha. And I never thought I would say this, but I am so sick of shopping and I'm even done yet.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Things I brought that I would not have lived without (and I shared a 9'x13' cell with my best friend and a bathroom with 3 people):

Fan - in winter, or dorms were really hot and stuffy. Also, I used the fan to cancel out other noise if I had to get to sleep early

Extra blankets - I had the bottom bunk and put extra blankets all around. I usually went to bed first, and that way I could have it dark and give myself the illusion of privacy.

Plants - I made my desk into a little jungle. Helped me keep my sanity living in the cement block cell all painted a weird cream color and just one window.

Shower Caddy - No way could we have fit four girls' shampoos and soaps in one tiny shower stall.

Lots of extension cords and power strips - I think we got like three outlets. Three outlets for a mini-fridge, two computers, printers and speakers, alarm clocks, fans, lamps, and a TV...yeah right!

Area rug - our dorms have the indoor/outdoor carpet so I used a rug since someone always had to sit on the floor. And, if we had any major spills, we didn't have to worry about losing our damage deposit.

Double alarm clocks, batterized and electric - Yeah I learned my lesson the time I woke up at 11:25 for an exam that started at 11:20.

I got by with one towel, one set of sheets, and very, very minimal amount of clothing, mainly b/c we didn't have any type of storage and only having one set keep me on task of doing the laundry and putting the bedding back right away.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Ack! This thread just reminded me I need to get Phil a student loan. He starts right after Labor Day I believe....
Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Warning: Uber nerd moment coming up.

I'm thrilled to be back and all...but...WE NO LONGER GET C-SPAN ON CAMPUS!!!!!!!!!

What is a political junkie supposed to do without C-SPAN?!?!?!?!?!

They better be glad Blair doesn't do Prime Minister's Questions anymore otherwise I'd be marching to whoever's in charge of the TV stations and demand my C-SPAN back.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

You didn't get a lunch? What type of school allows that? That sounds more like Guantanomo Bay than high school.
The rule is that by scheduling more than 7.0 periods of class per day, you forfeit a guarantee for a lunch. In 10th grade, they make us have a double period for science in order to do labs once a week. Thus, if you take an elective and a language (95% of people do), you have 7.2 scheduled periods. Most still got a lunch, but I was one of the unfortunate ones.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #27
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

The rule is that by scheduling more than 7.0 periods of class per day, you forfeit a guarantee for a lunch. In 10th grade, they make us have a double period for science in order to do labs once a week. Thus, if you take an elective and a language (95% of people do), you have 7.2 scheduled periods. Most still got a lunch, but I was one of the unfortunate ones.
That is completely insane.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

It'll make it all the sweeter having one this year.

I enjoy my schedule this year. Open and close the day with easy classes.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #29
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I never left school so it hasn't really felt like summer. But I'm on the 15 month plan....started school last January, finish classes in mid Feb '08 and then externship until end of March and then I'm done I'm glad we just go until we're done. When I was in college the first time around I took a lot of summer classes. The few summers I did not it just dragged on until it was back to class.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Warning: Uber nerd moment coming up.

I'm thrilled to be back and all...but...WE NO LONGER GET C-SPAN ON CAMPUS!!!!!!!!!

What is a political junkie supposed to do without C-SPAN?!?!?!?!?!

They better be glad Blair doesn't do Prime Minister's Questions anymore otherwise I'd be marching to whoever's in charge of the TV stations and demand my C-SPAN back.
Sounds like the first student protest should be started