The official "Dusty Baker is a douchebag" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
dustyplan4dl.jpg

I am so fed up with this man...

found this on a cubs messageboard
duboissimpsonssig.jpg

Dubois: You're pinch-hitting for me?
Baker: Yes, you see you're a right-hander and so is the pitcher. If I send up a left-handed batter, it's called 'playing the percentages.' It's what smart managers do to win ballgames.
Dubois: But I hit nine home runs today.
Baker: You should be very proud of yourself. Sit down.

if he became the manager of the cardinals i think id almost have to stop cheering for them

dusty makes me damn thankful the cardinals have a manager like larussa

but i hope the cubs keep him, makes them easier to hate and his idiotic managing costs them plenty of games :up:

His idiotic decisions cost them the second game against the Cardinals earlier this week. When he put remlinger in the game to get rocked by Larry Walker (a .444 hitter lifetime against him, he allowed the game to be broken wide open.

I'm convinced that the Cubs would have been able to come up with a run against either Carpenter or Isringhausen.

Why Derrek Lee, easily the hottest player on the team, was batting sixth I will never know.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i must've missed something... does dusty baker spend his spare time taking a club to mark priror's shoulder? how exactly is he to blame for his injury problems?

Overpitched him in his first full season. If you look at the innings he ended up pitching, the jump was enourmous. Just asking for an injury.

dusty is notorious for being a meatgrinder

this year kerry wood was coming off an injury to start the season and dusty has him throw over 100 pitches in his first couple starts coming back, and surprise surprise, wood now has shoulder stiffness

the jump was actually only about 40 innings, if you count his minor league starts as well as his major league stats...

6 innings per game compared to 7 innings per game. really not that big of a jump that a 21 year old couldn't handle it...

It's not just innings, it's more pitches thrown at the higher level, over more time, AND the playoffs.

Prior ran out of steam in Game 6, just like Woody did in Game 7.

to be fair, if dusty baker was the manager of my team id be complaining too

While I think blaming for the arm injuries is stupid (baseball has been played for a very long time with guys pitching way more than pitchers do now),

DUSTY BAKER IS A TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!

Worst game manager I have seen in ages. Its called a double-switch dumbass!

anyone notice that cubs fans have become much more whiney since the red sox won the world series?

That's just coincidental, we're becoming much more whiney because we're tired of seeing the best Cubs teams in years be wasted by poor on-field management.

1. Dusty Baker needs relievers. I'm sick of people blaming Dusty for his crappy relievers. How is he to blame for players like Remlinger blowing a lead. Who else does he bring in...Wellermeyer? Hawkins is NOT a closer. He is a GREAT set up man. Borowski, the closer, has had freak injuries the past year putting Baker in a tough position for closers. Blame the orgnanization for not getting any help in the bullpen!

2. Kerry Wood and Prior both according to scouts and pitching coaches around the league are not finishing their pitches. When people see them in comparison to say Florida's Dontrell Willis, the way both finish their pitches compared to him and others, is completely different... possibly the cause for injuries. Just a little insight.

You're right, Hendry has put together a poor bullpen, but Baker misuses it anyway. For instance, he insists upon using Mike Remlinger as a LOOGY (Lefthanded One Out GuY), despite the fact that Remlinger is well-known to have much more success against righties. Last year, lefties batted over .300 against him, while righties batted less than .200. As a result, Baker will pull right-handed pitchers who are doing fine to "match up" Remlinger with a lefty, with often disasterous results.

Another example of Baker's bullpen mismanagement comes with putting LaTroy Hawkins in to save games in one-run situations. Your average closer gets that done a bit over 75% of the time. Hawkins converts barely over half of his saves in those situations. This easily may have cost the Cubs the wild card last year.

Everyone knows that Wood's mechanics suck, or at least anybody who pays attention. I personally think we need to send him down to the minors so he can learn how to pitch, if he's willing to give that a shot. He's still like 27 or something, so he has plenty of quality years ahead of him if he stops willingly destroying his arm.

Haven't heard that about Prior, though. In fact, everything I've seen on Prior is that he has very consistant and good mechanics...

As a long time Giants fan, I've seen Dusty make very questionable decisions that have cost several games. He's made several blunders in the Playoffs as manager of the Giants, as well as the World Series. Some could blame the Playoff collapse of the Cubs in 03 on Dusty.

He is also notorious for blowing out his arms. Rob Nen never recovered from being over-worked in the 02 postseason.

BTW, what has La Russa ever done for the Cards??
He's overrated too.

The OOTS said:
As a long time Giants fan, I've seen Dusty make very questionable decisions that have cost several games. He's made several blunders in the Playoffs as manager of the Giants, as well as the World Series. Some could blame the Playoff collapse of the Cubs in 03 on Dusty.

He is also notorious for blowing out his arms. Rob Nen never recovered from being over-worked in the 02 postseason.

BTW, what has La Russa ever done for the Cards?? He's overrated too.Dusty could have gotten to the WS last year with that lineup.

Knox,
Good points. I agree about Remlinger and other miscues.

But Hawkins is NOT supposed to be the closer. Even Baker has said this. The Cubs haven't had a good closer in a long time. Hawkins came to the Cubs to try and close, but quickly became the set up man. And he was brilliant. He is one of the best 8th inning guys in the league.

What do you think about Wood becoming a closer? I mean, he certainly has shown he can't hold up as a consistant starter.

P.S. Just look at the Cubbies their last two games vs. the Brew Crew. Last night they WALKED in the winning run and tonight...Hawkins strikes again. :help:

The OOTS said:

BTW, what has La Russa ever done for the Cards??
He's overrated too.

um he has the most wins of any cardinal manager, by the end of the year he will be 3rd on the all time wins list for any manager, he's won manager of the year a few times, he has taken the cardinals to the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years, winning the national league title last year, and with a good shot to do it again this year

not too shabby id say

terry francona made many blunders last year... joe torre has made TONS of blunders over the years... grady little, also has made his share of blunders, as has dusty baker...

:hmm: it appears as if there's a pattern... lose, and your manager is a blundering fool. win, and your manager is a genious despite his blunders.

i guess it all lays on the shoulders of the players after all, doesn't it?

Got Philk? said:
But Hawkins is NOT supposed to be the closer. Even Baker has said this. The Cubs haven't had a good closer in a long time. Hawkins came to the Cubs to try and close, but quickly became the set up man. And he was brilliant. He is one of the best 8th inning guys in the league.

He actually came to be a setup man, and after Borowski got hurt Baker decided, what the hell, I'll give him another shot at being a closer, a role he has consistantly failed in whenever he tries!

Then when Borowski went down again, Baker replayed the same mistake.

If Baker says he ain't a closer...why does he keep closing? :mad:

Got Philk? said:
What do you think about Wood becoming a closer? I mean, he certainly has shown he can't hold up as a consistant starter.

I don't know. I think he needs to reinvent himself. Back to the mechanics -- if he can't control his release point, it's not going to matter how many innings he pitches because he's still going to walk too many people. The Cubs now have over ten million dollars per year invested in this guy, why can't they make him change? He's hurting himself and the team with every pitch he throws, it seems.

Got Philk? said:
P.S. Just look at the Cubbies their last two games vs. the Brew Crew. Last night they WALKED in the winning run and tonight...Hawkins strikes again. :help:

Hawkins lost last night, but that's the kind of loss that "happens" from time to time. I believe the winning hit was on a bloop/popup that Hairston couldn't manage to track down. Just remember, Hawkins wouldn't even have been there were it not for Ramirez's homer with two outs in the 9th. He's back!

I hate Tony LaRussa, but I'd rather have him managing the Cubs than Dusty Baker. At least he's got a fuckin clue.

By the way, Philk, you might want to check out Bleed Cubbie Blue, one of the best Cubs blogs out there.

Chizip said:

um he has the most wins of any cardinal manager, by the end of the year he will be 3rd on the all time wins list for any manager, he's won manager of the year a few times, he has taken the cardinals to the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years, winning the national league title last year, and with a good shot to do it again this year

not too shabby id say

Look at the teams he's had over the years.
Chisox, A's, Cards.

1 Championship and countless playoff failures.

Plus, I could manage the Cards to the playoffs in that division and with that lineup.

In fact, Dusty has done a lot more with a lot less. He just crumbles under pressure and makes stupid decisions at critical moments in ballgames.

terry francona made many blunders last year... joe torre has made TONS of blunders over the years... grady little, also has made his share of blunders, as has dusty baker...

Have those managers ever:
1) batted a pitcher late in the game with the bases loaded in a critical playoff game?

2) Pitched a shaky and inexperienced rookie when the division title is on the line ie) Soloman Torres

3) Pitched an overweight Livan Hernandez in game 7 of the World Series when everyone and their mothers could see that the only thing slowing down the Angels lineup was left handed pitching. Plus, Livo got clobbered in Game 3.

4) Pulled a rolling Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of a WS in favor of a fastball, meatball pitching Felix Rodriquez.

5)Countlessly overworked the bullpens.

Sure, all manages make blunders. But, Dusty has a knack for making them at THE most critical times. But, in Dusty's defense, he does get the most out of his teams.

The OOTS said:
Sure, all manages make blunders. But, Dusty has a knack for making them at THE most critical times. But, in Dusty's defense, he does get the most out of his teams.

If Dusty got the most out of his teams, they would be winning more games and playoff series...

You're right. Hawkins was brought in to be a set up man. And now he's forced into the role of closer...again. But my question would be who else should close? Wellermeyer tried and gave up 2 runs, Chad Fox saved a game and then reinjured his elbow(I know, another arm for Baker).

I suppose why not just try someone else, but it seems they could have at least tried to sign someone. Maybe Borowski will come back and be outstanding.

And thanks for the website. I'm in.

So what's the big deal? When have the Cubs ever won? Regardless of who they get, they will always find a way to lose.

Back
Top Bottom