The Official B&C Desert Island VI NSW Memorial Running Diary Thread for the Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I didn't put a write-up on mine since I figured I'd just discuss it here. More likely than not, this will be the last time I throw in a list for a major tourney, or at the very least sit the next one out. It's a lot of fun, but after seeing how quickly this past sign-up filled up and listening to everyone else's stuff, it would make a lot of sense to give someone else a shot to participate in one of these, too.

Also like, in making a list, I find that I focus too much on tweaking my own and re-listening, etc... instead of enjoying everyone else's to a more equal degree.

So yeah, that's my spiel.

Do what you can. Any input is appreciated.

It really is great so far, a couple favorites as well as generally enjoyable music. Don't know how I'm going to feel come Kanye and co. (joke?) but it really flows and shit and I like it (which is most important to me).

Oh, and I didn't put a write-up on mine since I figured I'd just discuss it here. More likely than not, this will be the last time I throw in a list for a major tourney, or at the very least sit the next one out. It's a lot of fun, but after seeing how quickly this past sign-up filled up and listening to everyone else's stuff, it would make a lot of sense to give someone else a shot to participate in one of these, too.

Also like, in making a list, I find that I focus too much on tweaking my own and re-listening, etc... instead of enjoying everyone else's to a more equal degree.

So yeah, that's my spiel.

That makes sense to me, I got so frustrated last time with trying to make a list everyone likes, that this time I just picked songs I like and entered that because, well, I enter to be more motivated to listen to the other lists, and last time, like you said, I was more focused on my own list.

Yeah, I hear exactly what you're saying.

As much as I enjoyed my list and the praise it got, looking back on it, I feel like I was swayed to move towards a little more obscure tunes and shift away from my tastes just a little bit to prove some sort of point. It was working out some sort of validation for myself and others at the same time. And now it's probably the list I listen to the least, ironically.

Now it's like, fuck it, here's the kitchen sink... hope you enjoy, you know?

Yeah, I hear exactly what you're saying.

As much as I enjoyed my list and the praise it got, looking back on it, I feel like I was swayed to move towards a little more obscure tunes and shift away from my tastes just a little bit to prove some sort of point. It was working out some sort of personal validation and others at the same time. And now it's probably the list I listen to the least, ironically.

Now it's like, fuck it, here's the kitchen sink... hope you enjoy, you know?

Yes! That's pretty much how I feel. My list feels like the most random collection of music ever to me, and I absolutely love it and of course I hope others do as well, but, if they don't, oh well.

Yes! That's pretty much how I feel. My list feels like the most random collection of music ever to me, and I absolutely love it and of course I hope others do as well, but, if they don't, oh well.

Yeah.

Fuck yeah.

Suck it, Alien Rapist... and you, Lt. Weinberg.

Back to Peef's list, I'm up to Catherine Wheel, and honestly, I should give this album a second chance, I only listened to it once, and I felt pretty neutral to it, but over time, the individual songs I've heard by them have been pretty great, especially this one.

Yeah, I barely remembered the album until I went back for it, and that was the song that stuck out the most, and it fit well.

Yeah, I barely remembered the album until I went back for it, and that was the song that stuck out the most, and it fit well.

Yeah, that was the main thing, I really didn't quite get much out of the album that first time.

Haha, ok that was good, the transition into Kanye, though, this song drives me nuts, I might be the only one who hears it, but imo, it sounds just like "No Diggity".

Ha, and you're going to get the same song on YLB's list, so have fun with that.

I really dig the riff in Flashing Lights.

Sent mine off to Phanan, Pfan, ElMel, Ash, and GAF.

I may just send it to Axver, for shits and giggles.

Haha, go for it.

I wasn't sure if I'd keep competing after DI V, simply because I was - and still am - really fond of my list for that edition and it would have been a good note to stop on, at least for a while. It's the only one of my lists I still listen to in full. The way I see it right now, I'll only compete if I actually have a good list. I'm not just going to keep putting my name in and hope I come up with something I think is worth submitting. Unless I really believe in what I've got, I'll leave the space open. This time around, I'm keen on my list and pretty interested to see how it fares, so I'm in.

I'm trying to think of who has competed in every edition. Is it just you and I?

Ha, and you're going to get the same song on YLB's list, so have fun with that.

I really dig the riff in Flashing Lights.

What a fucking epic song. I can't help but sing it whenever it pops up in my car.

Hate to toot my own horn, but the segue I've got going into "Flashing Lights" is epic. It's my El-Mel Moment.

Haha, go for it.

I wasn't sure if I'd keep competing after DI V, simply because I was - and still am - really fond of my list for that edition and it would have been a good note to stop on, at least for a while. It's the only one of my lists I still listen to in full. The way I see it right now, I'll only compete if I actually have a good list. I'm not just going to keep putting my name in and hope I come up with something I think is worth submitting. Unless I really believe in what I've got, I'll leave the space open. This time around, I'm keen on my list and pretty interested to see how it fares, so I'm in.

I'm trying to think of who has competed in every edition. Is it just you and I?

So you're the Anti-Screw. Good rationale though. Are you totally done with yours? I heard it's all-instrumentals.

I was going to say impy, but I think he missed one along the way. Khan, possibly? Where's the archive when you need it?

Hate to toot my own horn, but the segue I've got going into "Flashing Lights" is epic. It's my El-Mel Moment.

I was going to say impy, but I think he missed one along the way. Khan, possibly? Where's the archive when you need it?

I'm curious, Peef's segue was pretty damn good.

I very much miss the archive :depressed:

So you're the Anti-Screw. Good rationale though. Are you totally done with yours? I heard it's all-instrumentals.

I'm not completely finished. I have one awkward segue that I haven't resolved and a couple of others that I think work but I want to see what other people think. I'll circulate a draft of it in the coming days, once I resolve the awkward segue. Yep, it's an instrumental list, and since I'm taking a bit of a risk with that, I want to get some feedback before I submit it just to make sure it's solid.

I ... don't think I recall Khan being in the first one. If I'm not grossly mistaken, a few regulars only missed out on that very first edition.

I'm not completely finished. I have one awkward segue that I haven't resolved and a couple of others that I think work but I want to see what other people think. I'll circulate a draft of it in the coming days, once I resolve the awkward segue. Yep, it's an instrumental list, and since I'm taking a bit of a risk with that, I want to get some feedback before I submit it just to make sure it's solid.

I ... don't think I recall Khan being in the first one. If I'm not grossly mistaken, a few regulars only missed out on that very first edition.

Sounds good. Mine's been sent over, too.

Or people who stuck around for 1 or 2 more before jumping ship. Wasn't there also an Excel spreadsheet of this stuff up at some point?

Sounds good. Mine's been sent over, too.

Or people who stuck around for 1 or 2 more before jumping ship. Wasn't there also an Excel spreadsheet of this stuff up at some point?

Cool. I'll hopefully have a chance to give it a play in the next couple of days.

I think Phanan might've done something like that?

I kinda lost some interest during the AC - Radiohead span, but, that's just me. It still all is working well together.

Well, Peef, that was an interesting list. You definitely covered pretty much every single base with it, and it worked well. It wasn't my favorite list of yours, but it was a good job. um...7.5/10? or something.

I'm listening to my list one last time and waiting for a ruling from phanan...anyone know the policy on mash-ups? I have a sweeeet Ratatat v. Cut Copy v.Michael Jackson mashup but of course it's unofficial. The guy who made it put it on his myspace though.

if I can't use it I'm gonna find a song of equal length because right now my list is exactly 02:40:00 :angry: lol

but yea I'm looking forward to listening to yours pfan :up:

I'm worried mine's just going to sound like a bunch of noise to everyone but me.

Green Day/Dead Kennedys/Iggy Pop/punk rock noise.

sounds good :up: in past competitions I had some screamo/hardcore stuff that people probably didn't love so much :lol:

there are only two songs on my list by bands in that category this time, and neither of the songs are the typical style of those bands, so hopefully people will be able to enjoy them.

sounds good :up: in past competitions I had some screamo/hardcore stuff that people probably didn't love so much :lol:

there are only two songs on my list by bands in that category this time, and neither of the songs are the typical style of those bands, so hopefully people will be able to enjoy them.

Oh come now AB, you know I just adored that list :wink:

Heh...:reject: I'm in trouble then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom