The Official Athens 2004 Olympics Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2004, 09:38 PM   #121
Refugee

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
they should do a medal ranking per citizen of the competing countries instead of just per country

I wonder by how much australia would win that one
Yes this is so true, per capita, Australia is the most successful sporting nation in the world. Currently we are sitting at third on the medal tally behind 1.America: with a pop of more than 240million, 2.China: pop of 1 billion and then there is Australia: pop 20million...............

yes we are very cool, but I think it has a lot to do with our climate, look at the sports that we do well in swimming, our climate is designed for swimming and every child does swimming lessons in primary school and shit where I live, which has a population of about 200 000 there are 5 olympic size swimming pools and close to 20, 25metre pools, all of which are outdoor pools and then in the cycling, there are loads of open roads in Australia to go cycling on. We usually do well in sports that are outdoors, like tennis, cricket, rugby, cycling and water sports, but we seem to be not so great at the indoor ones....I think it is great how good we are, but then again anyone will atest to how much of a sports mad nation we are

Old 08-26-2004, 04:40 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Well, it's a shame Jana Pittman didn't get a Hollywood ending to her Olympic knee saga. Still, she's only 21 years old.

The Greek gold winner in hurdles was awesome.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #123
The Fly

Local Time: 05:13 AM
I may get mobbed for this one, but I am actually quite glad Jana Pitmann didn't win (and I know I'm not the only person who feels this way). I don't like her attitude - she seems to be quite a drama queen, and kinda arrogant.

I remember reading something about the per capita medal thing for the Sydney Olympics, with Australia coming second. First went to some little nation like the United Arab Emirates!!

There was also this thing on Roy & HG, where if Australia had the population of USA we'd have won something like 480 medals!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #124
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Luthien Black

There was also this thing on Roy & HG, where if Australia had the population of USA we'd have won something like 480 medals!!!
Looks like Oz would also take the gold in linear algebra.... If this holds true, then the five "2's" I dated in college could be considered a "10"??

USA 102
ESP 94

I guess we decided to play after all.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:32 PM   #125
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:43 PM

Old 08-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
they should do a medal ranking per citizen of the competing countries instead of just per country
Then we might as well do it by GDP, since Australia spends disproportionate amounts of money on sports compared to other nations. It would be nice to finally see the African nations sitting on top of the rest of us.

You could do it in so many ways, come to think of it.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #127
The Fly

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Some of those African athletes do well on raw talent even without the training other countries give. They win a decent amount of medals for poor nations.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 PM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor

and maybe if the united states has government run sport centers training kids out of the womb like many european and asian countries, we'd double our medal count... or not.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #129
The Fly

Local Time: 10:43 PM
That's true, most American kids are on their own, the families have to pay for training and if it's far from home they have to pay for travel. When someone gets really good they usually pick up sponsors, but nobody starts out that way.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
That's true, most American kids are on their own, the families have to pay for training and if it's far from home they have to pay for travel. When someone gets really good they usually pick up sponsors, but nobody starts out that way.
It's the same in the UK. The saddest thing about is the number of talented athletes who have to give up their sport because they and their family just can't afford it anymore, not to mention the number of people who never get the opportunity to participate in sport because it's too expensive.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #131
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
You could do it in so many ways, come to think of it.
you could yes, but in no way would the netherlands end up being on top

come to think of it, no matter which way you pick there's always just one country that ends on top
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #132
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
That's true, most American kids are on their own, the families have to pay for training and if it's far from home they have to pay for travel.
except for the distances probably being smaller I don't think there's much of a difference with europe though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

who gives a crap about medal counts. it's the performances of the individual athletes that really "makes" the Olympics for me. As for Africa, just imagine what their athletes could do if they had the training opportunities and funding that more developed parts of the world have.

Anyways, just to put it in perspective, here in the lovely but poor country of Mali, we have 0 medals to show for (not even some lowly bronze or silvers) but people are still happy because the football team went in and got into the quarter finals, against all odds. So again, it's all about sportmanship and the honor of competing, not how much metal you bring home, imho.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #134
you are what you is

the dutch do still throw the best parties in athens ja!
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
who gives a crap about medal counts. it's the performances of the individual athletes that really "makes" the Olympics for me.
Indeed, it's the individual performance that counts. For one, I always think an athlete has done excellent if he/she has improved his/her personal record. And they are at the Olympics.

In that respect, there is this nice website celebrating the last-placed athletes of the 2004 Olympics:
http://www.mcwetboy.net/dfl/
Notice the motto of the site Celebrating last-place finishes at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. Because they're there, and you're not.

I mean, the last placed athlete in the men's long jump reached 7.32 metres. I won't reach it unless I start training 24/7 from tomorrow on (and probably not even then).

As they say, to compete is more important than to win.

Although winning gold is always nice.

C ya!

Marty