The Official Athens 2004 Olympics Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 AM   #91
War Child

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Émilie Heymans is my new love.

She was great! So good to see someone from another country no one expected take a gymnastics medal! I am really tired of it being all about the US-Russia-Romania-China. I'd love to see all different people win! But again I do believe in most cases the judges give higher scores to more well known and established people. I can't swear this in gymnastics but I am going by figure skating where that does happen.

On the 'skinny' Khorkina thing, I think there is a difference between just thin and thin and sick looking. She stood out from all other gymnasts on the floor and literally pales in comparison to her former self. I jump to no conclusions but would not be surprised if she had a problem. Hey we were right about Mary Kate.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Men's 400 Final

Wariner leads first American sweep in men's 400m in 16 years

It is sick how fast these guys run.....

Old 08-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo

She was great! So good to see someone from another country no one expected take a gymnastics medal! I am really tired of it being all about the US-Russia-Romania-China. I'd love to see all different people win! But again I do believe in most cases the judges give higher scores to more well known and established people. I can't swear this in gymnastics but I am going by figure skating where that does happen.

On the 'skinny' Khorkina thing, I think there is a difference between just thin and thin and sick looking. She stood out from all other gymnasts on the floor and literally pales in comparison to her former self. I jump to no conclusions but would not be surprised if she had a problem. Hey we were right about Mary Kate.
Émilie isn't a gymnast...she's a diver.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:28 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ina/index.html

Is it just me, or is that a little bit of cameltoe I see? Or is it just really weird lighting?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:31 AM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:47 PM

BTW, the mayhem at yesterday's men gymnastics is also another reason to drop those 'jury sports' from the Olympics.

*never liked 'jury sports' anyway*
Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ina/index.html
She's right, as anyone who watched last night's joke of a competition will agree.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 AM   #97
War Child

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Ehy, have you seen the galà for the gymnastic?
It was great!
I'm in love with the performance the Italian girls did! Absolutely great! Especially when they were all together and moving just their arms as if they were just a single thing!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #98
War Child

Quote:

Émilie isn't a gymnast...she's a diver.
Sorry, got her mixed up with the French gymnast who won gold in the uneven bars.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #99
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

She's right, as anyone who watched last night's joke of a competition will agree.
Was the mens' or womens' the 'joke?' The men maybe, but not the girls. Svetlana did not win a medal because she didn't do well enough. So, did the French girl win because she was from France?

Back to the bitching over the balance beam score: Carly's routine was much more difficult. Her dismount and landing alone blew away anything in Svetlana's routine (which BTW unlike most gymnasts she never changes!) Carly somersaulted down the beam, then did triple tumbles into a blind landing, something no other girl attempted. That landing is incredibly hard to stick, and Carly did it. Sveltana sort of just, flipped off the end of the beam. She got a better score than she deserved. When she talks of judging on beauty and grace instead of athletics, that sounds like she knows she can't do those things and is bitterly jealous of the young girls who can. I don't even think she has the grace and elegance she had in earlier times, she has lost a lot of it, all I see are big long stick stork legs flopping around. Just doing the required elements is not enough, style does come into it.

Judging- I am not one to take up for the judges. For years Amercian and Canadian skaters were cheated for the Russians. It happens in scoring sports like football and basketball too. YES I do believe some judges are biased and unfair. But I don't think that's what happened to her this time, she just plain was not good enough and she can't accept that so she has to whine and blame somebody. She's damn lucky she got the silver in the all around. And if they really are against her, she should remember that her constant bitching, whining and criticism of them along with her prima donna attitude have done nothing to endear her to them.

It's been a great career, Svetlana. Don't ruin it now by whining and looking like a bitch and criticizing the other girls.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:30 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
The men maybe, but not the girls.
Funny how you call it "mens" and "GIRLS"!

It's too bad that by the time these "girls" become "women" - it is perceived that they are "washed up"
Old 08-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #101
War Child

Male gymnasts have always been traditionally, mostly, several years older than female ones. But my lack of use of the word 'women' is a personal thing with me, I don't personally like it, use it, or want to be called by it. Why? Because most of the time when someone says 'girl' or 'female' it's nice but the word 'woman' is more often associated with the word 'bitch'
Old 08-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Back to the bitching over the balance beam score: Carly's routine was much more difficult. Her dismount and landing alone blew away anything in Svetlana's routine (which BTW unlike most gymnasts she never changes!) Carly somersaulted down the beam, then did triple tumbles into a blind landing, something no other girl attempted. That landing is incredibly hard to stick, and Carly did it. Sveltana sort of just, flipped off the end of the beam.
It kind of amuses me to see the person who accused others of not being very interested in gymnastics showing an inability to use the correct names for the skills gymnasts included in their routines. But perhaps that's just me.

And that "Carly's routine was so difficult" line is precisely why I hated her performance. Her entire performance screams out "look how difficult this is!" when the gymnastics is supposed to look beautiful and effortless, no matter how difficult it actually is. Everything about her routines seems to focus on making everything look difficult as though that's supposed to be what the judges are looking for. Her floor routine has absolutely no choreography, it's just about jumping from one 'difficult' skill to the next.

Quote:
When she talks of judging on beauty and grace instead of athletics, that sounds like she knows she can't do those things and is bitterly jealous of the young girls who can. I don't even think she has the grace and elegance she had in earlier times, she has lost a lot of it, all I see are big long stick stork legs flopping around. Just doing the required elements is not enough, style does come into it.
Well, sorry, but looking beautiful, graceful and elegant is actually kind of important to gymnastics. It's sad that when an incredibly successful gymnast points that out, she just gets accused of being jealous of younger gymnasts. Maybe you can explain why you think a graceful and elegant performance is less important than an "athletic" one. And while you're at it, perhaps you can explain why you think being tall is a bad thing.

And on the biased judging, the Russian delegation are protesting to the IOC about how prejudiced the judging has been in this Olympics. It's hardly as though just one gymnast thinks she was unfairly judged, it's an entire team. And given the fact that three judges were suspended for making huge and blatant mistakes, it's hardly as though it's unreasonable to suggest that the judging hasn't been of the fair, unbiased quality it should be.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Because most of the time when someone says 'girl' or 'female' it's nice but the word 'woman' is more often associated with the word 'bitch'
This is YOUR OWN little hang-up!!!!! I have NEVER associated the term "Woman" with "bitch" and have no idea how you have conjured this up.

In my world, Woman is a respectful term of saying "adult female" - NOTHING to do with the female name for a dog (OR a derugatory name for a person).

This is one of the silliest things I have ever heard on these boards.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
"Subjective sports" will always leave someone unhappy
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #105
War Child

Oh good God, whatever!! This is the dumbest shit to fight over!

It's interesting how people who keep commenting on how 'silly' things are keep coming back posting on them again and again