The Official Athens 2004 Olympics Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 AM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 AM
A few moments ago Mia Audina has won the silver medal in badminton. She lost to one of the Chinese players (she did beat the #1 ranked though, crushing her yesterday). Mia also won the silver medal in Atlanta in 1996. Then, she was competing for Indonesia, now she competed for the Netherlands.

And since there isn't a Dutch football team competing, go Mali!!!

Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Thanks DaveC!

Old 08-20-2004, 05:09 AM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 09:31 PM
congrats to the people in the Netherlands- you guys do well in the pool and have I ever mentioned how much of a spunk Mr Van Den Hoogenden (shit, spelling!!!!) is.....and he seems like such a nice person and good sportsman
Old 08-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #64
War Child

Local Time: 10:31 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...9444806.htm?1c

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/gymnasti...v=ap&type=lgns

I am tired of Svetlana Khorkina's attitude. If not for her past rep I doubt a washed up 25 year old would even have gotten a medal at all. Carly blew her away on 3 of 4 apparatus. Carly's beam routine and perfect landing alone showed she deserved the gold.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
I am tired of Svetlana Khorkina's attitude. If not for her past rep I doubt a washed up 25 year old would even have gotten a medal at all. Carly blew her away on 3 of 4 apparatus. Carly's beam routine and perfect landing alone showed she deserved the gold.
I really dislike the word "deserved" - I think she "Earned" the Gold....but no one "deserves" a Gold Medal.

"Washed up 25 year old?" I think she EARNED the silver medal. She had some excellent events. Khorkina's attitude is not much different from any other athlete. After watching the team event, I got kind of sick with all of the talk of dissapointment in the US team for a silver medal. Get over it. Think of all the other countries that received NOTHING. Romania had an unbelievable event and really EARNED the Gold medal.

P.S. - Al Trautweig should NEVER be allowed in another gymnastics event again. Fish out of water. HORRIBLE decision on behalf of NBC to let him do the gymnastics.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #66
The Fly

Local Time: 05:31 AM
I wanted Svetlana to win. . .

They all did well and got what they got. Good job to all of them!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #67
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

I really dislike the word "deserved" - I think she "Earned" the Gold....but no one "deserves" a Gold Medal.

"Washed up 25 year old?" I think she EARNED the silver medal. She had some excellent events. Khorkina's attitude is not much different from any other athlete. After watching the team event, I got kind of sick with all of the talk of dissapointment in the US team for a silver medal. Get over it. Think of all the other countries that received NOTHING. Romania had an unbelievable event and really EARNED the Gold medal.

It's clear you don't follow gymnastics. Sveltana's 'tude is indeed unique to the sport. We've been discussing it on PLEBA. I've seen ice skaters behave that way but not gymnasts.

Get over what? The US got the silver because they were good but not quite as proficient as the Romanians. The girls were not upset at all. I haven't heard any fans that were either. The only ones who seeme to have a problem were a few of the reporters and announcers. Carly even said "we won a silver medal at the Olympics, that's awesome!" but the woman reporter seemed to act like they should be ashamed, and didn't even say congratulations. But no one else felt that way. Don't blame us!

I know what you mean about the silver medal, but it does not apply in this case. I have also been disgusted by people crying and whining over silver medals and (as Svetlana was quoted as saying in 2000) wanting to throw them away! Considering how many people in the world who will never even make the Olympics in their sport, I consider the silver a major accomplishment and I'd be overjoyed with one.

Each Romanian athlete winning a gold medal recieves 2 cars, a free college education and $50,000 cash. That has to be an incentive and a reason to celebrate!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
It's clear you don't follow gymnastics. Sveltana's 'tude is indeed unique to the sport. We've been discussing it on PLEBA. I've seen ice skaters behave that way but not gymnasts.
There have been many gymnasts before khorkina with an attitude such as this....hers is magnified by the media though.

Quote:
Get over what? The US got the silver because they were good but not quite as proficient as the Romanians. The girls were not upset at all.
Carly had a completely different temperment. Carly went from event to event with this horrible pouty look on her face. You CANNOT tell me their was "joy" in the responses they gave the reporter who interviewed them after the team competition. "Joy" is what you saw last night.

Again, you called a 26 year-old who won a silver in the individual "washed up." That is just as rude as the reporter asking Carly about her "defeat' (winning silver) during the team event.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:37 PM   #69
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

There have been many gymnasts before khorkina with an attitude such as this....hers is magnified by the media though.
They did try to play it up and I admire Carly for calling her 'gracious' even though she knows better. Smart girl not to give them any fodder.

Quote:
Again, you called a 26 year-old who won a silver in the individual "washed up." That is just as rude as the reporter asking Carly about her "defeat' (winning silver) during the team event.
First, I was referring to the story called "Too old too tall"

Second, personally, after watching the performances, I could name you several teenagers with more inspired and impressive performances. The way it looked to me, at times, she was given higher scores than she deserved based on her past rep. This happens in judged sports.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Yes but what where they both wearing at the time - thats the REAL issue.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:

Get over what? The US got the silver because they were good but not quite as proficient as the Romanians. The girls were not upset at all. I haven't heard any fans that were either. The only ones who seeme to have a problem were a few of the reporters and announcers. Carly even said "we won a silver medal at the Olympics, that's awesome!" but the woman reporter seemed to act like they should be ashamed, and didn't even say congratulations. But no one else felt that way. Don't blame us!

I know what you mean about the silver medal, but it does not apply in this case. I have also been disgusted by people crying and whining over silver medals and (as Svetlana was quoted as saying in 2000) wanting to throw them away! Considering how many people in the world who will never even make the Olympics in their sport, I consider the silver a major accomplishment and I'd be overjoyed with one.

Each Romanian athlete winning a gold medal recieves 2 cars, a free college education and $50,000 cash. That has to be an incentive and a reason to celebrate!
I think perceptions of attitude depend greatly on if you like or dislike the athlete. Those that like Khorkina will find her attitude charming; those that don't like her will think she's a complete bitch. Same for any other athlete (musicians too -- just think of Bono). I do wonder, leeloo if you think that the 25 and 26 year old US gymnasts are washed up.

Actually, my problem with Khorkina isn't her attitude nor her performance, but that she looks waaaayyy too thin (even more than she used to). I know she is taller than most gymnasts and must be careful about her weight, but she looks positively emaciated.

Yeah, I get kind of miffed when people (athletes, the press, or the public) are disappointed with "only" a silver or a bronze. That whole second place is just first loser attitude just ticks me off. What I noticed after the team competition is that although the US gymnasts said all the right things, it was clear from their faces and their body language that they were disappointed with the result. They seem to have perked up a couple of days later, but they were not happy on the night and they showed it very clearly. The network didn't help though, as they pushed the US team as an almost lock for the gold for weeks leading up to the games.

Actually, this Olympics I'm just watching and enjoying the performances. I find I don't really care who wins. I mean every athlete has worked very hard and made sacrifices to get this good and make these games, so every one of them is making a dream come true.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Yes but what where they both wearing at the time - thats the REAL issue.
And on that note, why when the female beach volleyball players wear such tiny little outfits, do the male players wear such sad baggy crap? C'mon guys, show a bit of skin!! What are you afraid of?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #73
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I do wonder, leeloo if you think that the 25 and 26 year old US gymnasts are washed up.

Once again! I was referring to the link I posted! The story was called "TOO OLD TOO TALL!" I did not write it!

But yes, generally, 25 is 'washed up' for competitive gymnasts. Sometimes even 20 is. I think the reason she's so skinny is because she's trying to make up for her height (5'5" while most gymnasts are barely 5 feet or less) and her age by cutting back on her weight. As the other story I posted said, she is a smoker and a drinker too. She may have an eating disorder, I don't know.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Once again! I was referring to the link I posted! The story was called "TOO OLD TOO TALL!" I did not write it!

But yes, generally, 25 is 'washed up' for competitive gymnasts. Sometimes even 20 is. I think the reason she's so skinny is because she's trying to make up for her height (5'5" while most gymnasts are barely 5 feet or less) and her age by cutting back on her weight. As the other story I posted said, she is a smoker and a drinker too. She may have an eating disorder, I don't know.
Not to nitpick (but of course I will!), but.... You may not have written it in the first place, but you did use it (see your quote below). When you are quoting use quotation marks or specify that you are quoting someone. I wasn't talking generalities when I asked if you thought Hatch and Bhardwaj are washed up, I was asking if you thought they are washed up right now.

Quote:
I am tired of Svetlana Khorkina's attitude. If not for her past rep I doubt a washed up 25 year old would even have gotten a medal at all.
As for Khorkina's weight, I think it's odd that it doesn't seem to even get mentioned. Eating disorders are a serious problem in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating (as well as dance and other such activities). The commentators would mention if a girl had gained weight.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:27 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Second, personally, after watching the performances, I could name you several teenagers with more inspired and impressive performances. The way it looked to me, at times, she was given higher scores than she deserved based on her past rep. This happens in judged sports.
Well...you are taking of your own personal opinion of what you saw via a television rebroadcast of an event. There are FAR more things that go into what is being judged than what you see, and have personally judged on.

And, like Indra said, you might be quoting this article, but you keep using this reference. How "washed up" are you when you are 26 and have beaten all but one of the "children/teenagers"???