The Official AFL Season 2009 thread that may be super!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People will always call it Docklands. Like AAMI Stadium is still sometimes called Football Park.

I think Docklands is the one people stick to. There's some mighty racist people in that facebook group :lol:

Same with Skilled still being called Kardinia...

Honestly, I mostly hear people calling it the Telstra Dome.

Haven't heard a single person call it Etihad Stadium yet, other than the obvious use of it by commentators and whatnot.

I guess it's Wednesday so I think it's a fair enough time to start dishing out our tips for round 5.

Here we go with Axver's Uneducated Picks for a third time!

Port vs St Kilda
Essendon vs Collingwood (I know that whichever team I pick here, I'll be wrong)
Hawthorn vs Eagles
Freo vs Swans
North Melbourne vs Poormond
Geelong vs Brisbane
Bulldogs vs Carlton
Melbourne vs easy win for Adelaide

Port vs St Kilda - Just because they beat Hawthorn doesn't mean they'll beat St Kilda.
Essendon vs Collingwood - A bit topsy turvy C'wood should win in a thrilla!
Hawthorn vs Eagles - Hawthorn by not too much, if this was in Subiaco then Eagles would be favourites.
Freo vs Swans - Never tip Freo.
North Melbourne vs Richmond - Will be a tight tussle.
Geelong vs Brisbane - A no brainer.
Bulldogs vs Carlton - Can't see Carlton winning.
Melbourne vs Adelaide - see Geelong vs Brisbane

Those are my tips!

(How I wish we coulda had a tipping comp in this thread)

Port vs St Kilda
Essendon vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Eagles - I cannot explain why, I just got that hunch.
Freo vs Swans
North Melbourne vs Richmond
Geelong vs Brisbane
Bulldogs vs Carlton
Melbourne vs bye for Adelaide

Bloody hell, it's only Wednesday! :lol:

Port vs St Kilda - should be a great challenge for the Saints. They could very well be knocked off.
Essendon vs Collingwood - Bucks said the truth when he said the Pies win the big games, lose the small ones
Hawthorn vs Eagles - can't be this bad?
Freo vs Swans - how many members of the KKK know how to play football?
North Melbourne vs Richmond - ...
Geelong vs Brisbane - come on.
Bulldogsvs Carlton - Tough one, but I think Blues'll bounce back.
Melbourne vs Adelaide - it'll be closer than you think

It's probably one of the few reasons that I watch the Footy Show for. Oh and tonight Crawf is going to take on some spiders I heard. THAT'S WHAT I'M TARRRLLLKKKIN' ABOUUUTTT!

:wink:

I'd say as soon as one round's results are all in, it's soon enough to make picks.

But then these are Axver's Uneducated Picks. I should just randomly make some picks right now for round 17 or something.

Then compare those picks to the picks you'd make just before the start of round 17.

I'd say as soon as one round's results are all in, it's soon enough to make picks.

But then these are Axver's Uneducated Picks. I should just randomly make some picks right now for round 17 or something.

Dad & I tipped for the whole season before round 1 in the late 90's and we won the competition.

Axver's Uneducated Picks, Round 17 Crystal Ball Edition.

Carlton vs Collingwood
Geelong vs Hawthorn
Freo vs Eagles
Lions vs North Melbourne
St Kilda vs Bulldogs
Melbourne vs Swans
Essendon vs Richmond
Adelaide vs Port

If by horribly wrong, you mean Richmond getting up over Essendon, then I would consider that horribly right.

I basically meant that I would think Adelaide would beat Port, but then again I am biased.

Probably the games I'm least sure about there are Carlton vs Collingwood and Geelong vs Hawthorn. Reckon both could easily go the other way.

What the fuck, Freo.

How?!

Also, nice work against the Kangatr00s, Moderateincomemond.

Alright.

-How about Essendons win against C'wood anyone? One of the best matches over the past few years, classic. And that last gasp goal from Zakarakis (spelling?) ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!!! I'm not even a Bombers fan yet that didn't stop me dancing around the room in amazement. Also honourable mention to Paddy Ryder.

-Finally, Richmond have got a win on the board and it was well deserved too. After the first 5 minutes of the match I was expecting Nth Melbourne to just run away but credit to the Tigers, and didn't they sing their club song so passionately.

-Freo actually won would ya believe it?! But honestly they were always in with a chance when at home and especially with Sydney w/o Barry Hall and Mick O'Loughlin absent. I'm not that surprised.

-Last but not least I will use this to ridicule Port Adelaide after that pathetic showing against the Saints, and they tell us to respect them and rate them higher. How about no. I see they're still an arrogant side who can't even get a crowd of 30,000.

Bombers were fantastic, a great win, and are riding well on the back of the young kids, Zaharakis, etc. Paddy Ryder played the best game of his career, but Scotty Lucas looks shot, shame about Lloyd too.

Five things we learnt this week.

- It's fine to draw on the ANZAC spirit, but to say the Dons/Pies clash "epitomised the spirit" of the ANZACs and "we let the ANZACs down" is going too far.

- Footy is never, ever clear cut, fear the underdog.

- If Ablett doesn't win the Brownlow this year, something is seriously wrong.

- Poor weather leads to pathetic showings.

- Melbourne aren't the easybeats everyone thinks they are; give them a few years.

Now, I bet $5 bucks on Riewoldt to be the round's leading goalkicker @ $12. He kicked four goals, and whilst no one kicked more than that, I think another five or six also kicked four. I better still get my 60 bangas.

Were you there Sunday? It was fucking freezing. Comical to see shots at goal from 30m out going back over player's heads, but, in the end, not worth it.

I interviewed Simon Atkins after the game, geez he gave us a spray.

Axver's Uneducated Picks, week six (because it's never too early to pick).

North Melbourne vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Carlton
West Coast vs Freo
Brisbane vs Essendon
Port vs Adelaide
Sydney vs Moderateincomemond
Melbourne vs Geelong's gonna win by a zillion
Bulldogs vs St Kilda

Alternatively, picks based on the logic of team names:
Kangaroos vs Magpies: wouldn't want to be a 'roo attacked by a flock of angry maggies
Hawks vs Blues: the hell is a Blue anyway? The music? Depression? The colour? As if a hawk cares about that!
Eagles vs Dockers: Really, what are the Dockers going to beat? Worst. Team name. Ever.
Lions vs Bombers: I think a bombing run over some lions is going to end in tears for the big cats.
Power vs Crows: Crows gonna get fried.
Swans vs Tigers: OK, maybe a docker would beat a swan.
Demons vs Cats: Come on, demons probably eat kittens for breakfast.
Bulldogs vs Saints: "Good puppy ... goooood puppy- ARGH IT'S GONE FOR MY JUGULAR!" So much for behaving saintly.

North Melbourne vs Collingwood - C'wood should bounce back, can't see Nth Melb win w/o Harvey.
Hawthorn vs Carlton - They really showed the Bulldogs last week, and should account for an underdone Hawthorn.
West Coast vs Freo - Ah, the fierce derby, i'm tipping the Weagles even though Freo have got the better of the past few encounters (am I right?)
Brisbane vs Essendon - Brisbane only because it's at the Gabba.
Port vs Adelaide - The showdown has arrived, Crows to win comfortably in the end, but it will have a lot o' rough 'n tumble.
Sydney vs Richmond - If i'm right Sydney have the wood over the Tigers.
Melbourne vs Geelong - Geelong could easily score 200 points methinks.
Bulldogs vs St Kilda - Enough said.

Yeah. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom