The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he was not ignoring him, ha. His producer was yelling into his IFB that nobody could really hear him cos he had no mic, and that he needed to wrap the interview up immediately.

Ah, I must've missed that lol. I more meant that he didn't respond to what he said kinda/....I don't know lol. I just know I am not really liking men's beach vollyball, so I've got a lot of nothing to do til Football/Soccer comes on :p

stephanie rice hammered that race home, I was VERY impressed. That jessicah thing still looks like a zombie walked into a swimming meet.

the netherland girls were very excited, its nice to see some happiness, i think swimmers are all togethe too calm and collected. I want screaming and tears and lots of trotting around as if riding a pony.

Ah, I must've missed that lol. I more meant that he didn't respond to what he said kinda/....I don't know lol. I just know I am not really liking men's beach vollyball, so I've got a lot of nothing to do til Football/Soccer comes on :p

We saw the same thing. I just know that Costas was at some point more focused on his producer than Karolyi, basically after he asked Bela the 2nd question......chalk it up to me working in TV. :)

We saw the same thing. I just know that Costas was at some point more focused on his producer than Karolyi, basically after he asked Bela the 2nd question......chalk it up to me working in TV. :)

right, true, you do have the upperhand, sneaky little guy that you are :p

NBC's coverage can eat a dick.

I hope you guys elsewhere out there in the world have better coverage than the US has.

Well, except Canada.

oh, and i'm actually going to defend NBC for a second.

i watched the 2000 Olympics in Europe. mostly on the BBC. sometimes on Dutch networks.

and guess what?

the BBC covered BRITISH athletes. and the Netherlands station covered DUTCH athletes.

shocking that NBC devotes their time to AMERICAN athletes. good gosh, there are so many events, only so much time, and NBC has a specific audience in mind. they're not the world broadcasters, and thusly, it's not their job to provide coverage to every athlete on the planet. they cover stories and athletes that are of primary interest to AMERICAN audiences.

shocking how TV works.

not that this excuses Costas's freaky toupe.

It's not that they cover American athletes mostly (what kind of an idiot do you have to be to be surprised by this?), it's that their commentators are incredibly irritating almost all of the time. It's what bugs me beyond belief here. Their trivia is often idiotic, and half of them can't shut up. They also butcher the foreign names MUCH more than the BBC or the CBC, having seen games upon games upon games on all 3 networks.

I'm in the US at the moment and I don't feel like I'm missing events between the networks and the streaming. But the commentators really, really bug. I hate Bob Costas so much sometimes.

oh, and i'm actually going to defend NBC for a second.

i watched the 2000 Olympics in Europe. mostly on the BBC. sometimes on Dutch networks.

and guess what?

the BBC covered BRITISH athletes. and the Netherlands station covered DUTCH athletes.

shocking that NBC devotes their time to AMERICAN athletes. good gosh, there are so many events, only so much time, and NBC has a specific audience in mind. they're not the world broadcasters, and thusly, it's not their job to provide coverage to every athlete on the planet. they cover stories and athletes that are of primary interest to AMERICAN audiences.

shocking how TV works.

not that this excuses Costas's freaky toupe.

It's still nice to have a broadcast that can occasionally take a broader view.

It's not that they cover American athletes mostly (what kind of an idiot do you have to be to be surprised by this?), it's that their commentators are incredibly irritating almost all of the time. It's what bugs me beyond belief here. Their trivia is often idiotic, and half of them can't shut up. They also butcher the foreign names MUCH more than the BBC or the CBC, having seen games upon games upon games on all 3 networks.

I'm in the US at the moment and I don't feel like I'm missing events between the networks and the streaming. But the commentators really, really bug. I hate Bob Costas so much sometimes.

it's just oh-so-fashionable amongst certain subsets of Americans to complain that NBC is oh-so-ethnocentrist because they've failed to feature the Iceland women's handball team.

the US team will likely win 100 some odd medals. how do you cover that, let alone other countries?

(and based on international coverage i've seen of swimming, Australia has the best commentary, and the British the worst)

It's not that they cover American athletes mostly (what kind of an idiot do you have to be to be surprised by this?)

I'm pretty sure that absolutely nobody is surprised by that...the surprise comes when NBC takes time to focus on something/someone else.

Now that I think about it.....I was in London for the Salt Lake games and was shocked at how shitty the coverage was. I could not sleep, so I ended up seeing a lot of the events LIVE, and, yikes, it was shoddy.

It's still nice to have a broadcast that can occasionally take a broader view.

and you can get that in countries that aren't going to win 100+ medals.

:shrug:

i agree, it would be nice to have everyone equally appreciated. but handball simply isn't going to get the same coverage that track and field will in the US.

how would you feel if you were one of those 100 medal winners, and yet you were ignored by your own nation's television coverage?

and you can get that in countries that aren't going to win 100+ medals.

:shrug:

i agree, it would be nice to have everyone equally appreciated. but handball simply isn't going to get the same coverage that track and field will in the US.

how would you feel if you were one of those 100 medal winners, and yet you were ignored by your own nation's television coverage?

Who says that NBC should ignore anything to do with the United States? They're on the air long enough, though, to occasionally focus on something else. I'm not looking for = time, and I'm pretty sure that none of my posts even come close to suggesting that....I just think that a little time given to other athletes/countries enriches the telecast.

and it's not that there's nothing to complain about with NBC. there's lots to complain about.

but other nations suck too. that's all i'ma sayin'.

^When I was in Torino in 2006 Italian tv covered Italian athletes. Although when we were in Rome we were able to get some German coverage too. We were watching the German coverage of the women's snowboard cross when Lindsey Jacobellis (sp?) blew her gold medal chances. My sister and I each had 4 years of German in high school so we understood a little bit of the broadcast. All of a sudden, one word was clear as day to all 4 of us, "showboat!" lol Good times. . .

Anyway, we actually thought the Italian coverage kinda sucked. :shrug:

My sister called my dad, in Illinois, to find out what happened in figure skating. He was like, "Uh, aren't you there???"

Who says that NBC should ignore anything to do with the United States? They're on the air long enough, though, to occasionally focus on something else. I'm not looking for = time, and I'm pretty sure that none of my posts even come close to suggesting that....I just think that a little time given to other athletes/countries enriches the telecast.

i'm saying that i think NBC does a reasonable job. yes, it's american-centric. but, for example, after the women's 400 IM, they interviewed Rice, but not Hoff. and they should have. Rice won and broke Hoff's record.

and it's not that there's nothing to complain about with NBC. there's lots to complain about.

but other nations suck too. that's all i'ma sayin'.

I honestly think the CBC's coverage is at least 10x better. And they have a LOT of Canadian content, so it isn't that, but the delivery, the commentators, the live broadcasting, etc, it's just way better. And I've watched the Olympics on CBC/NBC jointly for about 20 years so it isn't like I'm comparing a one week period or anything like that.

I really, really miss the CBC...and this year is their last year. :(

Having said that, actually NBC has vastly improved since 2004, at least it seems that way to me. The streaming quality and speed has also been excellent thus far.

i'm saying that i think NBC does a reasonable job. yes, it's american-centric. but, for example, after the women's 400 IM, they interviewed Rice, but not Hoff. and they should have. Rice won and broke Hoff's record.

NBC handles the Summer Olympics a lot better than they do the Winter, I'll say that. And, it's easy for anyone to bitch about NBC's coverage, but, it's a Herculean (Notice how I did not say "Olympian"!) task.

Overall, yes, NBC does an ok, if not better job.

I honestly think the CBC's coverage is at least 10x better. And they have a LOT of Canadian content, so it isn't that, but the delivery, the commentators, the live broadcasting, etc, it's just way better. And I've watched the Olympics on CBC/NBC jointly for about 20 years so it isn't like I'm comparing a one week period or anything like that.

I really, really miss the CBC...and this year is their last year. :(

Having said that, actually NBC has vastly improved since 2004, at least it seems that way to me. The streaming quality and speed has also been excellent thus far.

NBC is no better or worse than 2004.

I've never seen anything on the CBC except their Hockey coverage, so I cannot compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom