The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the biggest collapse so far of the games - the US soccer team giving away the match on a stupid penalty with about 30 seconds left. A 2-2 tie vs. the Dutch instead of a 2-1 win.

When was it on?! I stayed up as long as I could, but never did get to see it /sigh

Random note:

NBC's Water Polo color commentator is Wolf Wigo. He played for the US National team for many years (Three different Olympics), and, less importantly, went to my High School. He swam there, we did not have a Water Polo team.

He's currently Water Polo coach for UC Santa Barbara. It's VERY rare that someone from the East Coast plays on the National water polo team.

So, yeah.

Sweet mother may I ...

ana-ivanovic-main.jpg

Probably the biggest collapse so far of the games - the US soccer team giving away the match on a stupid penalty with about 30 seconds left. A 2-2 tie vs. the Dutch instead of a 2-1 win.

If you told me before the game that the USA would have held the Netherlands to a draw, I would have been ecstatic. Also, because of the USA's greater number of goals scored, a draw against Nigeria gets them into the quarterfinals (as does a Japan win or draw vs. Netherlands, which is improbable but not impossible).

Losing Adu and Bradley to yellow cards hurts, but Nigeria will also be without two of their starting defenders, so all is not lost for the USA.

Here's an observation:

The American male swimmers are not the most charismatic people in the world*.

The female swimmers are a lot more engaging.

Of course, away from Andrea Kramer and her questions, they all might be wonderfully interesting people.

*This pertains to the US Olympic swim team, not Irivine.

Here's an observation:

The American male swimmers are not the most charismatic people in the world*.

The female swimmers are a lot more engaging.

Of course, away from Andrea Kramer and her questions, they all might be wonderfully interesting people.

*This pertains to the US Olympic swim team, not Irivine.

You miss Gary Hall jr., don't you? :lol:

g_hall_il.jpg

Were they up 2-0 at any stage? Because then it could have been the biggest collapse....if not, no, not even close.

Netherlands scored first, then USA scored two in the second half, then Netherlands equalized in injury time.

According to my friend Wikipedia, Nastia Liukin was born on October 30, 1989.

I'm not good at math, but that sounds ok to me.

:drool:

Watching diving (women's 3m synchro).

There is the Chinese team.

And then after a Grand Canyon sized gap, there is everyone else.

Okay, holy SHIT is NBC's coverage of gymnastics obnoxious? The ridiculous over-the-top jingoism is astounding. They don't behave this way with respect to Michael Phelps, an athlete who is actually the best. The American girls are really unimpressive thus far, but you wouldn't know it given the intro. Or when the one commentator noted, while the Chinese team was on, that we'll see a different degree of "refinement" from the Americans. The other guy shot him down almost immediately, thank God. Boy, we sure saw a different degree of refinement, if by refinement you mean landing out of bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom