The Official 2007 AFL Season Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
It may be a little early, I'll admit, but I am beginning to get quite excited about this upcoming season of football. I've tired of the cricket, namely because England have been so pathetic, and even when Austalia are 6/7 they still win. Anyway.

So what will happen this season? Can West Coast win back-to-back premierships and become the most successful non-Victorian team in the history of the AFL? Or will Syndey bounce back? Can Geelong and St. Kilda, the two Victorian sides who were out hopes in '06 deliver? Can the Western Bulldogs progess deeper into September? Can Essendon deliver stawlart James Hird the finish he is hoping for?

Only time will tell, but here's hoping the mighty Cats have a much better year in '07.

Engage discussion.

I was thinking of starting this one yesterday! :lol:

I am going to SPIT if West Coast take it out again! Especially if we (Sydney) meet them in the GF. I have high hopes for Sydney this year.

http://www.oztips.com/yourtips.asp?m=y&compid=84794&round=1

This is the tipping comp I have been in the last few years which Shika and Daniel suggested they might like to join as well. I hope everyone else would like to, too. It ends up quite large, I think there were around 4,800 members last year.

www.oztips.com is the general address which you can sign up through if you're new to oztips.

"shut up! footy's on the radio!"

AFL, already!!!

C'mon, we've got the A-League finals to sort out before then! Go Victory!

The mighty swans will be thereabouts again this season, as will the Eagles and the Saints. Freo and Adelaide might drop off a bit this year, but Neil Craig is a master coach who has been pretty much the sole reason for Adeliade's resurgence in recent years.

Probably, and hopefully, Collingwood and Essendon will be shite again, and here's hoping Footscray can secure a spot in the top four for playing exciting footy in the midfield. Brisbane Lions will be shite also, cause they've got barely any quality players left (or fully fit).

I predict another dull season, with the only highlight being the awesomeness that is the West Coast vs. Sydney rivalry. If the AFL wants to make footy a more viable, they should kick out all 14 other clubs and just have 15 matches a year between the Eagles and the Swans...

I looooove that thinking! NSW needs to fuck off this rugby league bullshit and concentrate on the beautiful game of AFL. All this state needs is football (soccer) and AFL.

So who's joining the oztips comp? My username is Jesus Online. If you join, share what your name is so we can watch how we all do!

Angela Harlem said:
I looooove that thinking! NSW needs to fuck off this rugby league bullshit and concentrate on the beautiful game of AFL. All this state needs is football (soccer) and AFL.

Hell year - football and AFL are all AUSTRALIA needs!!

Anyhow, FWIW - This year is going to be the year of the Crows - no doubt about it!! I have a feeling Craigy would have been really pissed off that we fell that one week short last year and will be firing up the boys for revenge!!!

Angela Harlem said:
we might have enough people to drag it out to two threads this time though!

Only because we started in the middle of summer :lol:

Oh well.....I guess I will become interested in the AFL again when March Rolls around.

bono_man2002 said:

Only because we started in the middle of summer :lol:

Lol :lol: I contribute that to the fact that the cricket has become to predictable to watch. I thought when the Pommies had us 5 for 2 they might have a chance, but apparently Michael Hussey just cannot be dismissed. What a cricketer! :love:

I'm in a pretty good mood, too. I just picked up the WITS single with Kite (poke in the eyes) and Zoo Station and Dark Side of the Moon. JTBATC stay tuned. :sexywink:

Go the Cats!

PS Did anyone read about Carlton today? Apparently it's merge, move interstate or bust!

I'll join that tipping comp. My name is Papatron. Everyone else's?

OzTips AFL Fans (#84794)

That's apparently the draw? Are you a member yet? I simply clicked through the codes until I got to one which said public comp under the AFL tab. So just start by finding the AFL tab, it will ask you to log in or register, then it's (if I recall correctly) a blue hyper-link for the comp. I can't access it now as I have joined it, it seems.
The sites' main page is www.oztips.com and that should have this blue hyperlink in an orange kind of table down the right hand side? Or else just navigate through the AFL tab along the top.

:up:

COBL_04 said:

Lol :lol: I contribute that to the fact that the cricket has become to predictable to watch. I thought when the Pommies had us 5 for 2 they might have a chance, but apparently Michael Hussey just cannot be dismissed. What a cricketer! :love:

I'm in a pretty good mood, too. I just picked up the WITS single with Kite (poke in the eyes) and Zoo Station and Dark Side of the Moon. JTBATC stay tuned. :sexywink:

Go the Cats!

PS Did anyone read about Carlton today? Apparently it's merge, move interstate or bust!

I'll join that tipping comp. My name is Papatron. Everyone else's?

I'm Jesus Online.
:wink:

where are carlton moving to, dare i ask?
:eyebrow:

Ohhhhhhhh hopefully the Bombers will pull their collective heads out of their arses this season and actually win some games. I can but hope. If not - being a temporary Sydneysider (Melbourne is home, Sydney is... here) I would be happy for a Swans win.

Swans VS Bombers at the G at the end of September - :drool:

"Go off" probably isn't the right expression, because the spectating culture of Australian football doesn't allow for unrestrained passion or emotion.

That said, in Melbourne during GF week, all you will hear about is the GF, and all that will be talked about is the GF, and the local media is all about the GF. It's inescapable, absolute saturation. For the Sydney v West Coast GF in 2006, never before had true football fans ever anticipated a GF so eagerly. It didn't matter that no Victorian teams were participating, everyone was looking forward to that match, and few were disappointed...

Gotta feel for Mark Coghlan...done his knee again.

More importantly, Matthew Scarlett has injured his eyeball! PLEASE be alright...

Hey I just got that joke! That was quite good. Hopefully this new touch-the-forward's-back-and-it's-a-free-kick rule doesn't make the umpires trigger happy.

For those who haven't discovered yet, the round's games will be televised as follows:

Friday Night
Channel Seven
Saturday Afternoon
Channel Ten
Fox Sports 3
Saturday Night
Channel Ten
Fox Sports 3
Sunday Afternoon
Channel Seven
Fox Sports 3
Sunday Twilight
Fox Sports 3

Brownlow Medal
2007 - Channel Seven
2008 - Channel Ten
2009 - Channel Seven
2010 - Channel Ten
2011 - Channel Seven

Grand Final
2007 - Channel Ten
2008 - Channel Seven
2009 - Channel Ten
2010 - Channel Seven
2011 - Channel Ten

The New TV Deal is kind of Okay I guess, I mean, In all honesty I think it sucks that its gone from "Yeah sure, All games will be on Free-to-Air"

Of course that was never really going to happen unless there was another free-to-air network that started doing AFL only....I usually stick to radio broadcasts anyway, you can't beat rex hunt, he's better than the boring old Channel 9 mob and Steve Quatermain....

Should be interesting.

Arrrggg! why can't they just be on one channel?

I don't like watching footy on channel 7 its just not the right way :mad:

^ :ohmy: really i always thought channel 10 showed the AFL and channel 9 showed NRL and the Union on 7

maybe i should pay more attention :reject:

i dont care as long as every sydney game is on free to air. im kinda tempted to sign this 'keep sport free' campaign which is going aroundto keep all sport off foxtel exclusively. foxtel is a joke. we had it once before, and i'd put up with the ads, repeats, and old shows if it were just a little cheaper. but at that price, id expect either better programming or something.

And it keeps getting worse.

I'd love to get it, I probably will once I move out....if its going the way, You get to see most of the Aussies Cricket matches during the winter, and various other sports, I used to watch so much English Premier League over 2004/5...now SBS don't even show a game anymore...

I guess there's "The World Game" on sundays....but its not the same.

Foxtel is awesome for sport. the rest, I have most of the TV show's I want to watch over and over and over on DVD anyway.

And Yes, its pay PAY TV! hence the reason there should be NO ADDS!.

^ Yeah it is ridiculous the adds. I would understand if it was just self-promotion, maybe a few clips of upcoming shows after shows, but...

Anyway, I am currently applying for work experience at the Herald Sun. Part of the process was write an article. I want to be a sport journo, so I wrote one on sport. I'll probalby post plenty of these, so if you want to take the time to read them and dish some feedback, positive and negative, that'd be swell. :) Thanks!

The Role Model Cliché
Comment by Daniel Paproth
THE recent misbehaviour of certain Carlton players brings back questions about footballers being role models and media figures.
Prospective captain Lance Whitnall was alleged to be involved – although the Blues were satisfied he played an insignificant role in the incident. He was fined about $1000 under the AFL’s code of conduct for breaking curfew. Heath Scotland was fined “considerably more” than Whitnall and the others involved.
Scotland now has an increasingly bad record, although he avoided conviction last year after allegedly slapping a woman in a club. He was charged with recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault, and went into a diversion program, and is likely to be ordered to undergo counselling by the club.
The six players who have come under disciplinary action – Kade Simpson, Brad Fisher, Shaun Grigg, Michael Jamison, Heath Scotland and Lance Whitnall – have been fined under the AFL’s code of conduct. Also blemishing the players was the fact that the two players interviewed by police were too inebriated to be interviewed. This is where that cliché “role model” comes into play.
But this latest news of AFL players being getting themselves in trouble after dark is hardly a surprise. It was revealed in early January that the mercurial Geelong forward Steve Johnson had been banished from the club. He was arrested for being drunk in a public place, not for the first time. He failed to notify his club for another nine days, which although was wrong, raises questions as to why he did not tell Geelong.
Perhaps the reason was because he was aware of the negative publicity and criticism he was destined to achieve in doing so, which once again understates the pressure and scrutiny the footballers come under through the media. As it turned out, he was banished by his football club to the reserves until at least round six. The banishment by the Cats sent a strong message to other clubs about the handling of public incidents such as Johnson’s, and only time will tell if it will be of any benefit.
There were also numerous incidents revolving public drunkenness and general off-field misconduct last year. Dean Brogan allegedly punched an Adelaide Crows fan in an airport. Months later, he allegedly assaulted a doctor. Chris Tarrant and Ben Johnson were both involved in a fight. These are amongst an abundance of other misdemeanours, so the problem is not being curbed or dealt with sufficiently.
Some ask, aren’t they humans too? And to some extent this is true. The number of incidents in which ordinary people get into fights or are arrested for public drunkenness – yet don’t make the news – would be a very large and daunting number. The slightest blunder these players make is chewed up, exaggerated, and then spat out. There is no escaping the media condemnation.
But when a footballer is drafted by a club, they immediately become public property. Ultimately everything they do and say finds its way back to the news. Despite the fact footballers just starting out are informed of the dangers of becoming public property these incidents continue to happen. There is invisible fine print on player contracts; not only are they becoming a footballer for a certain club, but that concurrently turns them into a media figure. A foot put wrong could see blood spilt.
Role model may seem nothing but a cliché nowadays, but footballers are role models, whether they like it or not, and the sooner this is accepted and understood the better for everyone involved.

There used to be a fellow by the name of brettig, on here, who is a great guy and writes a sports column in a paper. He would be a fantastic help. Not sure how you could get in touch with him though, or what he is really up to these days.

I liked your article. I dont know how to critique something in a constructive manner unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom