The Official 2006 NBA Playoffs Thread - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #481
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
You know, I remember when the mods hardly had to come in the sports forum. What happened?
People can't behave.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Since there have been teams to lose 7 game series after 3-0 leads coughYANKEEScough, I wouldn't call this "breaking the worldwide record of choking".
True.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #483
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Hmm. All this about about the league helping the Heat out reminds me of the questionable calls that got the (at that point, stumbling) Mav's into the Finals in the first place.

Yes? No?

I believe the officiating goes both ways.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #484
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS

Cuban got his sheckles.

I now think the NBA tilted this series toward the Heat. A few suspect calls at critical points in close games slanted this toward the Heat. I think Dallas is the overall better team. But The Heat have more marketable players than the Mavs at this point. Longtime players like Walker, Zo, Williams, Payton finally reaching the pinnacle.. Superstars like Shaq and the Jordanesque Wade pairing up for a championship run. Pat Riley returning to coaching to win another championship. All great stories. The NBA is a business and they like to flaunt their superstars and hype the stories. Dallas didn't have as much going for them as far as 'good stories' and marketable players.
you mean the Dirk-Hasselhoff story wasn't NBA gold

I declare 2006 Year of the Hasselhoff.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

The Miami fans holding the pictures of Hasselhoff was hilarious.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #486
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
The Miami fans holding the pictures of Hasselhoff was hilarious.

I know this guy.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #487
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

OMG...

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

Bikini briefs and a leather jacket, thats normal every day attire.

I hope Hasselhoff was compensated well for that photo shoot.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #489
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #490
Refugee

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

you mean the Dirk-Hasselhoff story wasn't NBA gold

I declare 2006 Year of the Hasselhoff.
Hasselhoff is a hard sell in the USA.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #491
Refugee

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Hmm. All this about about the league helping the Heat out reminds me of the questionable calls that got the (at that point, stumbling) Mav's into the Finals in the first place.

Yes? No?

I believe the officiating goes both ways.
Yes...but why?
Let the players decide.

This series kinda remined me of the Superbowl. Referees making favorable calls/bad judgment in favor of one team to swing momentum. That's just the way I saw it.

BTW, I'm neither a Mavs fan nor a Heat fan. I was just a casual observer.

I'm a Warriors fan
Old 06-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #492
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Marquis (if its the call I'm thinking of) definitely swiped Wade's arm, just he pansy-fouled him and its his own fault for not making the foul count.

http://www.ericfolkerth.com/phantomfoul3.mov

Tell me another one.

http://www.ericfolkerth.com//B108261...743/index.html
Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #493
Blue Crack Addict

Watch the 3rd angle (shot from the top of the basket).
before Wade rises up, Daniels swipes (quite gently) his forearm. As I said, and Hubie Brown also noted (in more TV friendly terms) it was a pansy foul, didn't prevent or even hinder Wade from getting up a clean shot, but he made contact, and Wade scored on the continuation.
Daniels should have grabbed Wade's forearm once he made the contact and heard the whistle and prevented the easy score.
Sorry, but that was a foul. And the swiping motion just makes the ref take more notice.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #494
Blue Crack Addict

That Eric Folkerth lives in a nice world, yeah we'll use instant replay on all foul calls in the NBA, and reverse calls made "on the field" (does he know its played indoors and not on grass), games will take 6 hours.
And he always refers to daniels as "Daniel".
You're using this clown to back up your arguments?

I watched his video and read his blog, and stand by my statement that the only legit beef Dallas had of those calls was the one where Wade ran into Dirk.

In Phantom foul #2, he says Wade elbows Harris, does he see Harris, feet moving, bumping with Wade the entire drive...guess what, thats a defensive foul, plus the final contact is inside the circle.

Heat won, Mavs lost, Refs were not great like in the SuperBowl, but Dallas can blame only themselves. The Refs didn't force Dallas to start the 3rd quarter 2 for 16 or have them tighten up over the last 6 minutes of game 3, or make the decision to have the best player inbound the ball with 1 second left in game 3 rather than be on the floor to shoot.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #495
ONE
love, blood, life

This apathetic mindset a lot of people have regarding the refs is only going to hurt the quality of play in this league.

Before I go further, allow me to make a few things clear:

The Mavs were infuriating in the second half of last night's game. When the whole world knew that they should be taking the ball inside, they kept settling for jumpshots. Furthermore, I didn't see the fire in them, the fuel that drives you to win. They seemed a little passive. You shouldn't be passive in Game 6 of the Finals. Their performance in the second half of last night's game was not the performance of a team that deserved to win the title, however much I favored them(neither team is 'my' team, but I was routing for the Mavs).

However, their performance(or lack thereof) does NOT, in any way, excuse what these refs are doing.

Every single call that involved Dwyane Wade in any way, went Wade's way. That doesn't mean that every call was blatently wrong or that every call should've gone against Wade. It just means that every call that was legitimately questionable in any way, went Wade's way. This is not a coincidence.

I really think any objective fan can look at Games 5 and 6 and say that the refs were undeniably calling in favor the Heat. This shouldn't be happening, but it's been happening for years. Player A commits a foul against Player B, but because Player A is flashier and more popular, the foul is called against Player B instead. I really think any objective fan can see that there are big problems with the officiating in today's NBA.

But the fans of teams that are benefitting or have benefitetted from those problems, are not objective, and a lot of the time, they refuse to admit that the refs are helping them. And that is infuriating to me.

None are more guilty of this than fans of the Lakers during their 2000-02 championship reign. Shaq commited probably 20-25 offensive fouls per game and got called for maybe 2 or 3 of them. Kobe got everything as well. Couldn't breath on him without getting called for it. Even their role players - Horry, Fox, Fisher - had everything go their way. Now, today I look back and appreciate that those Lakers teams were very good teams, despite the poor officiating. But what I can't get past is the Lakers fans that absolutely would not admit under any circumstance that the Lakers had help from the refs in every single game, and every single series. I mean, it's not like you'd be turning your back on your team or being a bad fan if you admitted it. It doesn't make your team any less talented. But to admit that your team had help from the refs is to be a man(or a woman). To claim the the officiating in a game like Game 6 of the 2002 WCF vs the Kings was 'fine' or anything of the sort - when the whole basketball world knows that that game was one of the worst officiated games in the history of professional sports(remember Kobe putting Bibby in a headlock and Bibby getting called for a foul?) - is to be a coward.

Last night and today, Heat fans are now getting their first taste of a championship. And the Heat, too, were helped by the refs. Unquestionable, non-negotiable, albiet not quite on the level of the help those Lakers teams got. But Wade was getting every single call his way, while similtaniously being allowed to commit backcourt violations, travel, commit fouls, etc, without getting called for it. Alonzo got every single block, no fouls or goaltends were called. Etc etc etc. Now, Heat fans can either be like those Lakers fans and refuse to admit that the Heat got help, or they can be adults and admit it. It's up to them. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy your championshp any less, it doesn't mean you have to love your team any less. It just means you have to be honest with yourselves.

Moving on...what's even more infuriating is the commissioner's reaction to the officiating problems of recent years. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that I think David Stern is behind it, fixing series' from the league front office. I really don't think that's the case at all. I just think refs are either incompetent or intimitated by the prospect of not giving big, popular stars who have legions of fans the calls.

The only thing Stern is guilty of is turning a blind eye to it. Every time he is interviewed he is asked about it, and every time he just grins that goofy-ass grin of his and says, 'we have the best refs in the business'. That's bullshit. He knows it's bullshit. He knows that everybody knows that it's bullshit. But he says it anyway. That's what pisses me off about Stern. He's done a lot of good, even great, things for this league since he took over in 1984, but this officiating thing is one of the bigger problems facing the league, and he seems content to just sit and do absolutely jack fucking shit about it, and that, to me, is unforgivable. To let a problem that directly and consistantly effects the quality of the gameplay and competition in the league to just continue to exist without doing AN-Y-THING about it...that's unforgivable.

That's all.

Congrats to the Heat.