The Official 2006 NBA Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
inmyplace13 said:
Yeah, BECAUSE I LIVE THERE.

Oh, come on, you know that NBA teams have fans all over the world.

I will not say anything else and I did mean no personal offense. If it makes you happy, sure, the Mavs were better than the Spurs this year.

Finally, since it seems that my original post was taken in the wrong way, I will delete it.

Yeah, Wade's little shove action at the end made me want to throw a fucking wrench into my TV set.

I'm glad Zo finally got a ring though, of all the people on the Heat, he deserves it the most (I don't forgive him for that hissyfit he pulled when he got traded to the Raptors though.)

Hopefully next year Dallas will be back, playing against the Magic baby! :wink:

U2@NYC said:

I'm not patronizing anyone. There is a coincidence that more people in this Board at this time were rooting for the Mavs. And that is why you are thinking that.

Under the same pattern, calling me a bitch, pathetic, calling Ginobili a bitch and posting pics of the Mavs against the Spurs follows the same line of reasoning.

I am not making this personal. As I stated before, I am happy that the Mavs lost. Big deal.

Being happy a team lost and being a jackass about it are two different things.

I know I've rooted for the Mavs because they've been my 2nd favorite team since the 02-03 playoffs, and I have an extreme distaste for the Spurs.

Why are you trying to troll around here again anyways?

Niiiiice.

I like Dallas a lot, wouldn't have minded them winning (although in the West I would have preferred Phoenix, and just thank fuck that it's not the Spurs), but very happy that Miami did. 7 games would have been nice though.

Cuban - I think the passionate/involved owner thing is fantastic, but he does cross the line too much. I'm sure it plays brilliantly to Dallas fans (who may be all that matter) but he can come across as a petulant tool as well.

U2@NYC said:

I'm not patronizing anyone. There is a coincidence that more people in this Board at this time were rooting for the Mavs. And that is why you are thinking that.

Under the same pattern, calling me a bitch, pathetic, calling Ginobili a bitch and posting pics of the Mavs against the Spurs follows the same line of reasoning.

I am not making this personal. As I stated before, I am happy that the Mavs lost. Big deal.

You are trolling, everyone knows you are trolling, and you've been called a troll several times to this point.

How you cannot see that you are trolling is beyond me.

For your own good, walk away.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Being happy a team lost and being a jackass about it are two different things.

I know I've rooted for the Mavs because they've been my 2nd favorite team since the 02-03 playoffs, and I have an extreme distaste for the Spurs.

Why are you trying to troll around here again anyways?

I am not trolling. I have often posted on this thread expressing my views and comments about the game.

When the Spurs lost, I dealt with jackass comments from other posters and I took it as they were, a demonstration of passion. Sports are lived like this.

stammer476 said:

You are trolling, everyone knows you are trolling, and you've been called a troll several times to this point.

How you cannot see that you are trolling is beyond me.

For your own good, walk away.

Ok, fine.

If my comments were taken the wrong way, then I must have expressed them wrong. For that, I apologize.

I live sports with passion and sometimes passion makes you say things in a certain way.

I seriously think the Mavs are a good team and that they had a great run.

U2@NYC said:

Ok, fine.

If my comments were taken the wrong way, then I must have expressed them wrong. For that, I apologize.

I live sports with passion and sometimes passion makes you say things in a certain way.

I think the Mavs are a good team.

I can understand that when you're having a conversation with people in person, but on a message board you can atleast review what you say.

Holy crap, this is ridiculous.

inmyplace13 this is your LAST warning in this forum for your behaviour. Your personal attacks are CLEARLY crossing the line and you know it. I will not tell you again. You are lucky that you are getting a warning for this.

BOTH you and U2@NYC need to put your bickering behind you. U2@NYC you have already had a suspension from this forum, dont make it permanent.

I am not kdding, if this continues there will be no more warnings.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I can understand that when you're having a conversation with people in person, but on a message board you can atleast review what you say.

For that same reason, I have deleted my first post.

U2@NYC said:

Ok, fine.

I seriously think the Mavs are a good team and that they had a great run.

Honestly, man, I think it's a cultural difference. What may be a polite way to be "passionate" about sports in Argentina may not be a polite way in America. And since the majority of posters in this thread are American, you come off wrong.

Sorry that's the way it is, but you might as well deal with the reality.

Sicy said:
U2@NYC you have already had a suspension from this forum, dont make it permanent.

Sicy, I understand.

I have deleted my first post and apologized. It seems that my first post was taken in the wrong way and that was probably due to poor typing on my side.

Put 'Em Under Pressure
This forum is dedicated to the discussion of sports. No cursing the refs, k?

Just because this is a sports forum it does NOT give anyone the right to personally attack each other. The FAQs and Rules still apply. I dont care if sports are 'lived like this'. This is a message board and you go by the rules here or you dont go here at all.

stammer476 said:

Honestly, man, I think it's a cultural difference. What may be a polite way to be "passionate" about sports in Argentina may not be a polite way in America. And since the majority of posters in this thread are American, you come off wrong.

Sorry that's the way it is, but you might as well deal with the reality.

That might be the case. We Latins are more "passionate" and direct than Americans. I deleted my first post for that reason.

You know, I remember when the mods hardly had to come in the sports forum. What happened?

U2@NYC in the past has made attacking posts, but seriously, this was not one of them, despite his comments not really making sense. I've seen far worse.

Some of the overreactions here are appalling...

:shifty: tiptoes in...

Congratulations to the Miami Heat - well done. I didn't think you had it in you after Games 1 & 2. By Game 5 I was almost wondering how the match up with Phoenix would have played out... :hmm:

:up: Miami Heat

tiptoes out :shifty:

BTW, props to Mark Cuban for applauding the Heat at the end of the game.

Okay, enough playing sore losers. Can't we just celebrate that Miami who has never won a basketball championship? Or at least be happy for us Miamians?

I went out into the streets tonight, in white :wink: and it was amazing. This city is such a fuckface sometimes but it's times like these we unite. I mean people actually let me cut in!
A sea of people shut down Kendall's biggest intersection. It was like standing room only. Even the cops were celebrating!

I've got some video of it, guys. Hope you don't take it personally. Dallas held their own until the very end, regardless of (what you think were) shitty calls.

:applaud:

Bono in Miami 11/14/2005: Hey Miami! The HEAT is on!
Edge: Wha?
Bono to Edge: Their basketball team is the Heat!
Edge: *grins*

PlaTheGreat said:
Okay, enough playing sore losers. Can't we just celebrate that Miami who has never won a basketball championship? Or at least be happy for us Miamians?

I went out into the streets tonight, in white :wink: and it was amazing. This city is such a fuckface sometimes but it's times like these we unite. I mean people actually let me cut in!
A sea of people shut down Kendall's biggest intersection. It was like standing room only. Even the cops were celebrating!

I've got some video of it, guys. Hope you don't take it personally. Dallas held their own until the very end, regardless of (what you think were) shitty calls.

:applaud:

Bono in Miami 11/14/2005: Hey Miami! The HEAT is on!
Edge: Wha?
Bono to Edge: Their basketball team is the Heat!
Edge: *grins*

Orlando's next! :D

Darkoooooo. :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:
shitty calls.

I'm not taking anything away from the organization, but it's difficult for me to be a gracious loser. The Mavericks dropped the ball in games 3 and 4, no doubt about it. But I feel like the game was completely taken away from them in both 5 and 6, and the fact that they were still within striking distance is frustrating.

Shit calls in Game 6 include:

Marquis on Wade in second quarter? What the hell? He didn't even touch the guy.

Wade also traveled in the third I think. I don't have tivo so I don't know exactly when. But it was after the Williams missed 3 that Wade tried to put back twice. He did a little shuffle that was definitely a travel.

The Coors Light "Cooler Cam" or whatever showed Zo swatting somebody and talking about what a great block it was. Unfortunately, it was actually a goaltend.

And then Wade sticking his elbow right into Dirty's chest.

Still, I'm sure you're thrilled, and that's a feeling I hope to feel sometime in the near future (next season).

Also, it hurts me as a basketball fan to think of Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton with rings on their fingers.

U2@NYC said:

On breaking the worldwide record of choking.

They are up 2 games to nothing. Yet, they lose the series.
Since there have been teams to lose 7 game series after 3-0 leads coughYANKEEScough, I wouldn't call this "breaking the worldwide record of choking".

inmyplace13 said:

Also, it hurts me as a basketball fan to think of Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton with rings on their fingers.
I am quite pleased for bothe Payton and Walker.
Payton came close with Seattle, but ran up against Michael Jordan, who singlehandedly kept hall of famers Stockton and Malone from winning titles as well. He accepted a lesser role twice late in his career (Lakers 2 years ago, and Heat this year) just to try for the ring.
Walker went from being the primary focus on the Celts for years and an all star to 3rd or 4th option on the Heat, accepted his role (much like he allowed Paul Pierce to take over as 1st option in Boston), did what the coaches asked and now has a ring. It may be harder to see outside of Boston where Toine spent most of his career, but he's a damn good player, and aside from a little too much complaining at times, plays the game the right way. He still hoists a few too many unnecessary threes, but I'd welcome him back on my team any day.

Williams...eh, I cringe every time I see him toss up a 3 with 22 seconds left on the shot clock. Never a big fan of him dating back to Sacklessmento.

As for the game, I agree the call on Nowitzki was the wrong one, Wade initiated the contact. But when a 7 footer is out on the perimeter without his feet set and a guy like Wade drives into him, the call is gonna go on the defender more often. Would that have changed the outcome? Hard to say, but the Mavs still had their chances.

The other calls mentioned above...far less controversial, Zo's block was not a goaltend. Marquis (if its the call I'm thinking of) definitely swiped Wade's arm, just he pansy-fouled him and its his own fault for not making the foul count.

Wade is a money player. He's not the next MJ (nobody is), he's not the best player in the NBA (probably Lebron at this point), but he's a big time clutch performer and a winner, and earned the finals MVP. Congrats to him and the Heat.

I also applaud Mark Cuban for his class after the game. I would be happy if he owned my local franchise. I can only assume the Mavs' players like playing for him, he clearly wants only to win.

Finally thanks to the oddsmakers for installing the Mavs as hefty series favorites, making my play on the Heat pay nicely.

Originally posted by Hewson after game 3
The final 6 minutes of that game may well have altered the series.
Dallas looked like a team that tightened up down the stretch with the opportunity to effectively grab the title in their hands. Dwayne Wade showed that he is one of the premier players in the league, stepping up and knocking down a number of clutch shots...

Miami has a pulse. I think they may come back and win the title. Dallas looked "ascared" to win last night.

And yes, the final 6 minutes of game 3 did alter the series landscape 180 degrees

The OOTS said:
Think of the $$$'s Cuban stands to make (and the NBA too) if this series went back to Dallas in a full arena for Games 6 and 7.

Still think Cuban had his team lie down in game 3 for a few extra sheckles?

I didn't then, and certainly don't now.

Hewson said:
Still think Cuban had his team lie down in game 3 for a few extra sheckles?

I didn't then, and certainly don't now.

Cuban got his sheckles.

I now think the NBA tilted this series toward the Heat. A few suspect calls at critical points in close games slanted this toward the Heat. I think Dallas is the overall better team. But The Heat have more marketable players than the Mavs at this point. Longtime players like Walker, Zo, Williams, Payton finally reaching the pinnacle.. Superstars like Shaq and the Jordanesque Wade pairing up for a championship run. Pat Riley returning to coaching to win another championship. All great stories. The NBA is a business and they like to flaunt their superstars and hype the stories. Dallas didn't have as much going for them as far as 'good stories' and marketable players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom