The official 2005 World Series thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

I don't know, if I was baseball I'd kind of like to see my best baseball teams getting more airtime, especially when they are in big markets. I mean it can't be good for MLB that if the Yankees or Red Sox, and maybe the Cubs aren't invloved that nobody cares.
But they got 4 primo prime time slots and nobody watched...you need teams with stars and appeal...the Red Sox, Yanks, Cubs and Dodgers have national team appeal.
SF would do well with Barry Bonds, but the game itself is too slow on TV and won't carry a casual audience without a draw, and neither the stros or Chisox had that draw, Clemens was the closest thing nad he pitched 2 innings and left hurt.

There wasn't a real intriguing story line, aside from the Black Sox thing, but it pales in comparison to things like the Curse of the Bambino, the Billy Goat/Bartman thing or the national love/hate relationship with the Yanks.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Well the White Sox have hadn't won a World Series in 88 years, but they aren't jackasses and blame their losing ways on a mythical "curse" like some teams do. I guess teams need to generate excuses for being losers in order to generate any interest.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Teams don't generate excuses...the "Curse of the Bambino" was derived from a sportswriter's book...not the Red Sox...the story lines with The Red Sox and Cubs have been more intriguing over the years than with the White Sox, the Red Sox have lost in some bizarre ways, coming ever so close in 1946, 1967, 1975, 1978 and 1986, all with a controversial or memorable play being a huge factor in the outcome. The Cubs sell out regularly when they suck, have a hugely loyal fan base, and had their own bizarre defeat moment in 2003.
The White Sox don't draw even when winning, check the regular season attendance this year...their most intriguing recent story lines prior to this year's title are about hooligan fans attacking opposing players and coaches...not an appealing thing to most.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well the White Sox have hadn't won a World Series in 88 years, but they aren't jackasses and blame their losing ways on a mythical "curse" like some teams do. I guess teams need to generate excuses for being losers in order to generate any interest.
the white sox aren't even the most popular team in their own city... they're not getting huge national ratings.

they were in first place the entire season, while the cubs blew... but the cubs averaged 10,000 more fans per game, with a smaller ballpark, mind you.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Part of the reason why you have the Red Sox and Yanks on tv all the time is because their fanbase is spread out over the entire country. Tropacana Field is like Fenway south when the Sox roll into town. It's a similar situation in Baltimore, Toronto, and even Anaheim. Hell, their is a even Red Sox bar in Santa Monica. If Fox or ESPN put one of those teams on, they know that people all around the country will watch not just the local fans.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Part of the reason why you have the Red Sox and Yanks on tv all the time is because their fanbase is spread out over the entire country. Tropacana Field is like Fenway south when the Sox roll into town. It's a similar situation in Baltimore, Toronto, and even Anaheim. Hell, their is a even Red Sox bar in Santa Monica. If Fox or ESPN put one of those teams on, they know that people all around the country will watch not just the local fans.
This is very true. We live in Birmingham, Alabama, and my parents are diehard Boston Red Sox fans. We lived in Massachusetts for a year when I was a kid, and they were always going to Fenway Park for the games. We moved back but my folks didn't stop pulling for the Sox, ever.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
they were in first place the entire season, while the cubs blew... but the cubs averaged 10,000 more fans per game, with a smaller ballpark, mind you.
Those 10,000 extra people probably weren't there to for the love of baseball though. And can we never, ever mention the "Bartman" thing again. The poor douche didn't evenget to touch the ball. The real "curses" of that game were piss poor pitching and botched fielding. I do believe the team bought into Bartman instead of looking at their own failures.

And my complaint is not just with the scheduling of games but the coverage on Sports Center.

Attendance was up 10.5 % this year at the Cell.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

I'd like to see how "loyal" Cubs fans would be if they didn't play at Wrigley Field with a ton of bars surrounding it.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:54 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I'd like to see how "loyal" Cubs fans would be if they didn't play at Wrigley Field with a ton of bars surrounding it.
Yes, I'd like to see that too. This astute assesment of many Cub fans has earned you an invitation to come watch my World Champion Sock next year from my 1/2 season ticket seats.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Yes, I'd like to see that too. This astute assesment of many Cub fans has earned you an invitation to come watch my World Champion Sock next year from my 1/2 season ticket seats.

Fuck the Sux.

: pouting:
Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Fuck the Sux.

Glad to see nobody's bitter.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Thanks. I feel like I am handling it really well. I have given into almost none of that homosidal rage that I have been feeling.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Fuck the Sux.

very mature

Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

ummm, the cubs didnt win anything, so how does me making a point about their fans make me bitter? if you wanted to call me bitter you should have said it after i trashed the astros ballpark or the wild card format.

if the white sox played at wrigley and the cubs played at us cellular or whatever they call it, do you really think the cubs would be selling out every game? the white sox sure would be.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:39 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

ummm, the cubs didnt win anything, so how does me making a point about their fans make me bitter? if you wanted to call me bitter you should have said it after i trashed the astros ballpark or the wild card format.

if the white sox played at wrigley and the cubs played at us cellular or whatever they call it, do you really think the cubs would be selling out every game? the white sox sure would be.
You've got it backwards. The bars around Wrigley Field don't cause fans to attend games -- Cubs fans have caused bars and other establishments to sprout up around Wrigley field. At least that's how I see it.