The official 2005 World Series thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lidge is a lameduck pitcher now. Bench him. Posednik had no homers during the whole season, that's ridiculous for a closer to give up 2 huge gamewinning homeruns in back to back appearances.

McCarver looks like a total idiot now though after saying Lidge "doesn't have that taste now" in reference to Pujols' home run off of him in his last appearance. Methinks Lidge likes the taste of being a goat.
:wink:

I sense a sweep now. Unless Oswalt pitches an amazing game 3.

Eh, Keith Foulke gave up back to back to back game-winning HRs late in 2004, and he managed to shake it off.

The White Sox just got a couple of really good swings. Give them credit.

The problem for the Astros now is that Roger Clemens might be done, and Roy Oswalt (probably) can't pitch 4 out of the next 5 games.

Haven't heard "Elevation" on a baseball broadcast in a while.

Last edited:
I don't know when Foulke gave up the game winning homeruns but this is the postseason. Less time to shake it off, plus he is relatively inexperienced but you may be right, who knows, he may be able to come back. I'm just speculating based on the mental aspect and lack of confidence he and his teammates may have now.

It's tough to recover from a loss like this where you give up a grandslam and then claw back to tie it against the other team's closer but then lose to a walkoff homerun. It's tough to get those thoughts out of your head.

speedracer said:
Not to say that Jermaine Dye wouldn't have gotten on base, and Phil Garner erred anyway by not having Brad Lidge in the game by then...
No manager is going to bring his closer in during the 7th inning.

arizona had back to back crushing last at bat homeruns against them in 2001, and they still came back to win the world series.

:shrug: momentum is the next game's starting pitcher.

if oswalt comes out tommorow and shuts the white sox down, we've got ourselfs a series again. but then again, pettite had pretty much held off the whtie sox last night, only to have the once stellar astros bullpen give it all back.

the white sox just have that magic look to 'em right now... :shrug: i picked the astros in 6, and i'll stick with it for now... but i'm not feeling so confident in that pick anymore.

but i will say that konerko's gonna look mighty nice in mets orange and blue next year :drool::wink:

Hewson said:
No manager is going to bring his closer in during the 7th inning.

There's no law that says the best reliever has to finish the game. Bring him in the 7th when there are guys on base and the heart of the order is coming up, and let some other guy close out the 9th when the bottom of the order is batting and nobody is on base.

Yeah, Lidge gave up the game, but I'd sleep a lot easier at night if it were Lidge who had given up the grand slam in the 7th instead of Chad Qualls.

The save is perhaps the most worthless statistic in baseball.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

but i will say that konerko's gonna look mighty nice in mets orange and blue next year :drool::wink:
Nah, he's gonna have a navy blue cap with a red "B" on it.
But of course in order to free up the Manny, I mean Money to sign him, we'll end up trading Money, I mean Manny to your Mets anyway.

Anyway, the balance of the series could be quite interesting, cause after last night, both teams' closers looke like Calvin Schiraldi-Bung Hole Kim clones.

Hewson said:
Nah, he's gonna have a navy blue cap with a red "B" on it.
But of course in order to free up the Manny, I mean Money to sign him, we'll end up trading Money, I mean Manny to your Mets anyway.

manny's agent has already said he only wants to go to cleveland or angels... and maybe arizona.

not that what manny says really means anything.

No way Cleveland or AZ can pick up his contract, and I have my doubts about the Angies taking it on too (Though I'd like to see a Manny for Vlad deal straight up).

I think its Mets or bust for Manny as far as trades, and if he thinks about it, he may have no desire to play in NY if he dislikes the media attention in Boston, so I think he's staying.

With a very manageable three years remaining on his contract, I don't see Manny going anywhere, unless the Sox were blown away with an offer. Which ain't gonna happen.

Vlad for Manny :hmm: Yeah, that would work.

HOUSTON -- If Craig Biggio winds up with a plaque in Cooperstown, there will be a mention of his loyalty to the Astros, the only major-league team he ever played for in a city he never imagined he'd live in.

But Biggio's sense of commitment, the primary reason he's spent the last 18 years in this south Texas metropolis, did not begin when he was picked 22nd overall by the Astros in the 1987 amateur draft. Nor did it start when Biggio, a free agent after a stellar 1995 season, said no to the Yankees and Mets, his hometown teams, before ultimately returning to the Astros, a decision he believed was "the right thing to do."

To find the origins of Biggio's uncommon loyalty, to decode this rarest of DNA in an age of sports mercenaries, the place to look is Kings Park, Long Island.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...25,0,7587338.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

El Duque pulled off another ridiculous Houdini act in the bottom of the 9th.

Lidge looks okay, but can he swing the bat? Will the Astros blow him out in the process of getting back in the Series, as happened to Keith Foulke last year?

well... if i had to go back and do it all over again, i'd still pick the astros in 6... it's not like houston's been dominated... a 2 run loss when their starter left in the 2nd inning, a walk off homer and an extra inning homer... but evey bounce of the ball just seems to be going chicago's way.

would be nice to see the team that disgraced the sport and almost ruined baseball go another 14 years or so... making it a nice even 100... before finally winning a world series... but eh :shrug: whatever... still not half as annoying as boston winning last year... :barf:

well... if i had to go back and do it all over again, i'd still pick the astros in 6... it's not like houston's been dominated... a 2 run loss when their starter left in the 2nd inning, a walk off homer and an extra inning homer... but evey bounce of the ball just seems to be going chicago's way.

Chicago certainly hasn't looked dominant at all to me this postseason, but they're 10-1. Go figure.

speedracer said:

Chicago certainly hasn't looked dominant at all to me this postseason, but they're 10-1. Go figure.

I'd like to know what part of sweeping boston, pitching 4 complete games to beat the angels and going up 3 games to none on the astros doesn't look dominant. :confused:

It amazes me that no one here wants to give the White Sox any credit.

would be nice to see the team that disgraced the sport and almost ruined baseball go another 14 years or so... making it a nice even 100...

And yet it's okay to root for teams like the yankees who have players who have used banned substances.....:hmm:

:rolleyes:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I'd like to know what part of sweeping boston, pitching 4 complete games to beat the angels and going up 3 games to none on the astros doesn't look dominant. :confused:

It amazes me that no one here wants to give the White Sox any credit.

And yet it's okay to root for teams like the yankees who have players who have used banned substances.....:hmm:

:rolleyes:

alas, said substances were illegal, yet not yet banned by major league baseball when they were using them... and, alas, mlb still doesn't test for human growth hormone.

both are wrong and i don't condone any of it.

but alas, i don't root for the yankees... but if we're going to grade offenses against the game, i do believe throwing a world series is a bigger crime than using steroids, but that's just me.

and while we're at it, just about every team in baseball, including the white sox and astros, have had a player in their system suspended for steroid use since the begining of the year.

and as for the dominating part... they haven't blown anyone out. every game has been close, usually with the white sox winning in the late innings.

they are dominating in the only stat that counts... wins... but they are certainly don't look dominating on the field.

take the world series... they have a dominating 3 games to none lead, yet have won the 3 games by a combined 5 runs.

Last edited:

and as for the dominating part... they haven't blown anyone out. every game has been close, usually with the white sox winning in the late innings.

I seem to remember them beating the Red Sox 14-2 while I was in the U2 GA line on Oct 4th. :wink:

but if we're going to grade offenses against the game, i do believe throwing a world series is a bigger crime than using steroids, but that's just me.

I do believe Eight Men Out has become a popular rental lately.

Probably more popular than the series itself, seeing as how the ratings are way down this year.

they are dominating in the only stat that counts... wins... but they are certainly don't look dominating on the field.

Does any other stat count in the end?

Anyway, it's cool. Be haters. :wink: It won't bother me if/when they win.

Back
Top Bottom