The Official 2005 NFL Thread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #421
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:06 PM

touchdown!

Old 11-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #422
Blue Crack Distributor

leave it to the sports guy to make me smile a bit...

Quote:
So what has been fun about the 2005 season? I'm going with Manning vs. Manning, maybe the most compelling subplot in any sport right now. Forget that an all-Manning Super Bowl could shatter the pregame hype record as we know it, that Archie Manning probably would have to pull a Richard Williams and skip the game or watch it in someone's basement, even that Eli has a chance to legitimately own New York for the next 15 years. There's another dynamic at work here, and it's unlike any situation that has ever happened in sports.

Imagine A-Rod putting up huge numbers over the past 10 years, then coming up short when it mattered pretty much every time. (You don't have to imagine it because it happened. Just bear with me.) Now, imagine he had a younger brother. And imagine that same brother was a highly regarded shortstop for the Cubs, and maybe his stats weren't as good as A-Rod's stats, but unlike A-Rod, he had a knack for coming up big when it mattered. Not only that, but his teammates loved him and believed in him. And imagine this kid ended up carrying the Cubs to a 2006 title over A-Rod and the Yankees and becoming an MJ-like demigod in Chicago.

That would be pretty crazy, right? Well, this could actually happen with the Manning brothers in less than four months. Peyton has Hall of Fame stats; Eli has All-Pro stats and an extra something that can't really be defined. You just know it when you see it. Jeter has it. Brady and Big Papi have it. Favre still has it from time to time. I think David Wright has it in him. So does Ginobili. Certain guys just seem to stand out in big spots. They have that extra something.

And that something manifests itself in little ways. Like the way Eli struggled in the past two games against good defenses (Denver and Dallas) but somehow sprang to life when the Giants needed him most. Like those occasional "Wow!" plays he makes (the ultimate sign of greatness), like the reverse scramble to keep a third-and-4 alive in the Denver game, or an impossible completion to Burress to keep the Dallas game alive. Like the way his teammates mobbed him after the winning TD in the Denver game (you know the QB is clicking with his team when the defensive players mob him after a big play), or all the "As long as we have Eli, we know we have a chance" quotes that filtered out of Jersey this week. He's special. You can see it.

Does that mean his brother isn't special? Of course not. But something happens to Peyton in certain big spots, and you can see that, too. He gets a little jittery. Makes that weird face like he just stepped in dog poop. Gets frustrated easily. Misses throws he normally bangs out. On the sideline, his teammates don't have that "I'd kill for this guy" look in their eyes. Again, it's nothing tangible, but that's the great thing about football -- not everything has to make sense on paper. For instance, if you examined the Steelers-Bengals box score from Sunday, you would see Bettis' 56 rushing yards and assume he couldn't possibly have been the key guy in that game. Not true. It wasn't just the yards, it was when they came and how they affected his team at the time. When the "Bus" is rolling like that, the Steelers take on a different swagger. They can beat anybody.

And that's the problem with Peyton Manning, the two-time MVP, as well as the quarterback of a team that's 7-0. There's still something missing. He doesn't have that same galvanizing effect on his team. He doesn't get better when it matters. Like A-Rod, Karl Malone, Jim Kelly and some other greats over the years, Peyton always seems to peak in safer situations, like with a 10-point lead in the second half, when the wheels are coming off an opposing team and he settles into a deadly groove. Going back to college, Eli peaks when he's down a score, when his team needs him to come through, when he doubles as the only hope on the football field. Some guys rise to the occasion, other guys shrink from it, and in this case, the two extremes just happen to be brothers.

Hey, maybe this plays out with Peyton winning a Super Bowl and ending the "can't come through when it matters" argument once and for all. Maybe this plays out with neither Manning making it to Detroit. Or maybe, just maybe, this plays out with Eli toppling the Colts on a last-minute drive in February.

Now that would be something. Almost enough to make you forget what a sobering season this has been so far.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

I thought you'd get a kick out of that.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #424
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
I thought you'd get a kick out of that.
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

touchdown!
i thought you'd get a kick out of that
Old 11-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

I did get a kick out of part of it...the FoxBox in the corner showing NE 28, ATL 20.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #426
Blue Crack Distributor

so because michael irvin was ripping on donovan mcnabb yesterday, does that mean that it's safe for us to rip on him again without being called a racist? (damn you rush limbaugh... damn you :shakesangryfist: )
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

Well, he certainly has been awful lately.

There is a distinct possibility that the Eagles might not even make the playoffs this year...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

As I mentioned before, Chunky Soup's hernia is definitely affecting his throwing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the season on IR...eventually he's gonna really hurt himself, damage his rotator cuff or something because he's changing his throwing motion to avoid pain in his abdomen when he throws.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

The Chunky Soup Jinx strikes again.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #430
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i think the only sports injury that could be more painful would be ripping the muscle off the bone... like what nomar did this year and piazza did last year back. that's gotta be a bitch.
Or the Joe Theisman leg snap. I'd heard about that for years, but I finally saw it recently. Holy !
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

I remember watching the Theisman breadstick game...MNF 1985.
They must have replayed that thing 137 times.
That and Tim Krumrie's dangling lower leg in the SuperBowl share the record for most overplayed gruesome injury replays.
Honrable mentions to Moises Alou and Jason Kendall
Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I recall the the Kendall injury, but what was the Alou one?

The Ken Norton helmet to Byrant Young's leg is up there too.
Sid Vicious's ankle injury in WCW was pretty brutal as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #433
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Kris Draper
Donald Brashear
Steve Moore
Old 11-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #434
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Or the Joe Theisman leg snap. I'd heard about that for years, but I finally saw it recently. Holy !
That was awful! You could see the bones coming out the front of his shin The announcer was going 'let's have another look at that slo mo" and we were like, "let's not!" It even grosses out my husband, and he loves gruesome movies.

Kellen Winslow's knee injury was bad when you see it get knocked out until it starts to flop around like the bottom of his leg was only held on by the skin and the pants
Old 11-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #435
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I recall the the Kendall injury, but what was the Alou one?

The Ken Norton helmet to Byrant Young's leg is up there too.
Sid Vicious's ankle injury in WCW was pretty brutal as well.
Alou was similar to Kendall, dislocated ankle sliding into 2nd...foot turned the wrong way.

I thought Sid Vicious died of an OD in the 70's.