The Official 2005 NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
randhail said:

If anyone did that they would be an ass too, not just TO.

But that's exactly what Brady did monday night, read the link I posted.

U2Kitten said:

But that's exactly what Brady did monday night, read the link I posted.
And please show me where it says Brady "Stormed out" of the press conference.
Those are your words and yours alone.

Did you watch the local Boston TV postgame and see the press conference?
Do you think the fact that it was 1AM might have had anything to do with Brady making only a brief appearance, followed by a full Q&A session on Tuesday for the media?

Hewson said:
And please show me where it says Brady "Stormed out" of the press conference.
Those are your words and yours alone.

Did you watch the local Boston TV postgame and see the press conference?

They certainly left the impression that he did not want to stay and talk, or answer any questions, and was in a bad mood.

Do you think the fact that it was 1AM might have had anything to do with Brady making only a brief appearance, followed by a full Q&A session on Tuesday for the media?

If he'd have won, I'm sure he would not have been too tired.

A lot of guys can cool down overnight, that's why most interviewers want to get them immediately after the game while they are still full of emotions (and likely to say things they wouldn't have if they got to sleep on it) Yes, the media does get off on making anyone look bad. But again, you guys keep defending him, and you really don't know the whole story any more than I do. You have to admit, you COULD be wrong?

Last night, Jay Leno made fun of Brady whiining that he had said he looked down at his 3 SB rings and said 'is that all there is?' Then he said if they keep up the way they are playing it will be, and the audience laughed (NY Jets fans among them, I'm sure;) ) So something about his behavior brought him to the attention of comedy monologue writers.

And if he really did say that, whenever, wherever, it is extremely obnoxious, pretentious, ungrateful and greedy. Look at all the other guys in the league who have had to retire without even one. He should be glad, not greedy.

Actually thats taken from the 60 minutes interview, nothing to do with the Colts game, and again, taken out of context for comedy writers.
Keep grasping.

U2Kitten said:
And if he really did say that, whenever, wherever, it is extremely obnoxious, pretentious, ungrateful and greedy. Look at all the other guys in the league who have had to retire without even one. He should be glad, not greedy.

So is his supposed to not care anymore and lose his desire to win because he has already won three Super Bowls? What athlete says, I'm just going out there not wanting to win? What if Joe Montana wasn't content and wanted more than the four he got? Since you're a fan of his, it's probably ok. It is in an athlete's nature to want to achieve more success. Once an athlete loses this desire, they are done for.

Here's Brady's exact quote for you...please show me the ungrateful/greedy portion:

Why do I have three Super Bowl rings, and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, "Hey man, this is what is." I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think: God, it's gotta be more than this. I mean this can't be what it's all cracked up to be. I mean I've done it. I'm 27. And what else is there for me?

More evidence to TB's overt dochebagginess:

KROFT: You signed a $60 million contract. And a lot of people think you've left a lot of money on the table.

BRADY: Wow. (LAUGHTER)

KROFT: I mean Peyton Manning, of the Colts, is getting 98 million and a $34 million signing bonus. Michael Vick of the Falcons, 130 million. None of them of them has won even one Super Bowl, let alone three. Why didn't you hold out for more?

BRADY: Well, everybody makes different decisions, and everybody has their reasons. Peyton and Michael decided they wanted to, whatever they want to play for is up to them. I used to get $600 dorm checks and go eat Subway, and use pizza cards to get my way through college. And eat baked potatoes and make pancakes every night. So I don't think that's ever been a big thing for me. I mean I'm making more money now than I ever thought I could ever make playing football. I'm very lucky to be here. Why would I go screw this up? I mean where else would I want to be? Where I want to get paid more money? I mean I'm not gonna be able to spend this money.

KROFT: It's been reported that one of the reasons why you signed the contract was that you wanted the franchise to have money to go out and hire great players. Was that a factor?

BRADY: Yeah. I mean that's always a factor. The way the NFL works, the more you take, the less money other guys have. And I decided, hey, this is what I think I deserve. And it's very fair. And it is a business, and I make those decisions. It's not like I'm, you know, non-profit here. I'm not working for free, and I'm getting paid a lot of money. Other people need to get paid a lot of money too, because a lot of other people contribute. But it's not like the grass is greener anywhere else. I mean, I'm a part of three championships here. And I've got a great relationship with the coach, the ownership and the players.

KROFT: And the fans.

BRADY: And the fans, and the city. And it's like why leave here? Why would that make sense? That would be the dumbest -- it's such a stupid decision if I ever decide something else. And if people ask those questions, I don't think they're very smart either. 'Cause if they were to evaluate it the way I did, it'd be an easy decision.

randhail said:

So is his supposed to not care anymore and lose his desire to win because he has already won three Super Bowls? What athlete says, I'm just going out there not wanting to win? What if Joe Montana wasn't content and wanted more than the four he got? Since you're a fan of his, it's probably ok. It is in an athlete's nature to want to achieve more success. Once an athlete loses this desire, they are done for.

Maybe he shoudn't openly say it, because it makes him look like my bratty little cousin I grew up with who would always refuse to share and take everything away and push you out of the way going "I want ALL the turns, I need ALL the toys!"

Joe never said a thing like that. Joe was pure class. Rice and Young would say 'the fire still burns' and that they wanted to keep going, but I have never heard ANYONE else sound so petty and childish and whiney over being depressed over having ONLY 3 SB rings. What a putz. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this, he did get made fun of in the Leno monologue and it got a huge laugh.

Here's the quote included with Kroft's question and his follow up question, perhaps now you'll see that he's not "whining" about having only 3 SuperBowl rings, (but likely not):
KROFT: This whole experience -- this whole upward trajectory -- what have you learned about yourself? What kind of an effect does it have on you?

BRADY: Well, I put incredible amounts of pressure on me. When you feel like you're ultimately responsible for everyone and everything, even though you have no control over it, and you still blame yourself if things don't go right -- I mean, there's a lot of pressure. A lot of times I think I get very frustrated and introverted, and there's times where I'm not the person that I want to be.

Why do I have three Super Bowl rings, and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, "Hey man, this is what is." I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think: God, it's gotta be more than this. I mean this can't be what it's all cracked up to be. I mean I've done it. I'm 27. And what else is there for me?

KROFT: What's the answer?

BRADY: I wish I knew. I wish I knew. I mean I think that's part of me trying to go out and experience other things. I love playing football, and I love being a quarterback for this team, but, at the same time, I think there's a lot of other parts about me that I'm trying to find. I know what ultimately makes me happy are family and friends, and positive relationships with great people. I think I get more out of that than anything.

Oh, for crying out loud. TB's talking about finding deeper fulfillment in life. Who doesn't want that?

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Maybe he shoudn't openly say it, because it makes him look like my bratty little cousin I grew up with who would always refuse to share and take everything away and push you out of the way going "I want ALL the turns, I need ALL the toys!"

Joe never said a thing like that. Joe was pure class. Rice and Young would say 'the fire still burns' and that they wanted to keep going, but I have never heard ANYONE else sound so petty and childish and whiney over being depressed over having ONLY 3 SB rings. What a putz. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this, he did get made fun of in the Leno monologue and it got a huge laugh.

I just want to bang my head against the wall and light myself on fire. :combust:

randhail said:

I just want to bang my head against the wall and light myself on fire. :combust:

Anakin says, don't try it :no: It hurts!

crispy2.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what the hell has happened to our NFL thread? can we get back to talking about shit that actually mattes? jees

It's past 500 posts now which means the mods will surely lock it down at any time. We can start part 2 with more serious discussions of games. If I want to bash Tom Brady, I can start a new thread like the TO bashing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom