The Official 2005 NFL Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Brady is not that great a quarterback, many guys could have done what he did in that system. The reasons they won so much was, a, the defense, b, the brilliant coaching plans, and c, nobody else did. I do not and will not ever consider the Pats one of the greatest teams ever like the 49ers, Packers and Steelers.
Do you live an alternate reality where there is another quarterback who has led the Patriots to 3 of 4 Super Bowls? I love these "other guys could do it" lines. It's complete crap. We can't know if it's true or not. Give the guy his props. Being bitter that your team hasn't won 3 of 4 isn't the way to go through life.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What does Tom Brady do? He makes good decisions quickly, takes what the defense gives him, and throws an easily catchable ball into the correct space for his receivers.

One would think that any NFL quarterback would be able to do all these things, but one would be wrong.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Brady is not that great a quarterback, many guys could have done what he did in that system. The reasons they won so much was, a, the defense, b, the brilliant coaching plans, and c, nobody else did. I do not and will not ever consider the Pats one of the greatest teams ever like the 49ers, Packers and Steelers. I admire the 49ers so much because they did it all without ever trash talking or becoming arrogant. As much as I HATE DALLAS and always have, I have to admit they were a good team and deserved to win 2 of the 3 Super Bowls they got in the 90's.
Thanks - this was quite humorous to read.

You think another QB can just step in and do what he does, huh? Nobody recognizes what the defense is bringing better than Brady, and he's incredible at looking off the safety, has excellent poise, and is extremely accurate. All little things that add up to winning games. He may not have the sexy stats of your boy Peyton, but then again, winning three Super Bowls in four years is something Manning will never accomplish.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

He may not have the sexy stats of your boy Peyton, but then again, winning three Super Bowls in four years is something Manning will never accomplish.
Don't make that bet too soon.

Brady is NOT the Super amazing QB that Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman were, and never will be. He's more like the fill in the blanks QBs the Joe Gibbs Redskins used to win 3 Super Bowls close together. One with Joe Theismann, one with Doug Williams, one with Mark Rypien. NONE were stellar QB's, good but not great, it was the team, the system, the coach that made them succeed. Those teams had the same front line (HOGS) the same basic defense, and the same coach. The QB's and recievers changed and it didn't matter, it still worked.

Yes I believe there are other QB's who could also have carried NE to the same results as Brady, he's not special. He's more of a Kurt Warner.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Don't make that bet too soon.

Brady is NOT the Super amazing QB that Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman were, and never will be. He's more like the fill in the blanks QBs the Joe Gibbs Redskins used to win 3 Super Bowls close together. One with Joe Theismann, one with Doug Williams, one with Mark Rypien. NONE were stellar QB's, good but not great, it was the team, the system, the coach that made them succeed. Those teams had the same front line (HOGS) the same basic defense, and the same coach. The QB's and recievers changed and it didn't matter, it still worked.

Yes I believe there are other QB's who could also have carried NE to the same results as Brady, he's not special. He's more of a Kurt Warner.
I've already made that bet - let's see if he can win one first, eh?

Actually, Brady is quite similar to both Montana and Aikman, not only in how well they manage the game, but how well they deliver under pressure. And all three had an excellent system to work in, as well.

Kurt Warner? Um, if you say so.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
He's more of a Kurt Warner.
No offense, but that's probably the worst comparison you could have made.

Based on your argument of the defense and the system being the difference, Trent Dilfer would have been a lot better choice than a guy who was the leader of the "greatest show on turf."
Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I've already made that bet - let's see if he can win one first, eh?

Actually, Brady is quite similar to both Montana and Aikman, not only in how well they manage the game, but how well they deliver under pressure. And all three had an excellent system to work in, as well.

Kurt Warner? Um, if you say so.
Also consider that Montana had Jerry Rice and Roger Craig. Troy Aikman had Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith.

Tom Brady had Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, Troy Brown and Deion Branch. Granted, free agency has spread the talent around the league a bit on offense and defense and has evened out the competition...but nonetheless, Brady's working with a lot less here than Montana and Aikman ever had.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

So again, I compare the recent Pats to the Redskins of the 80's who won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs (and mostly different recievers and running backs) because it was the coaching,the defense and the system that made them successful. You could have had Brady, Bledsoe and some other guy and it would have been the same.

And speaking of free agency spreading the talent around I've seen it said that the Colts are the most complete post free agency team.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Also consider that Montana had Jerry Rice and Roger Craig.
Montana won his first 2 Super Bowls with Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon at wide reciever, and running backs whose names I can't even remember. It wasn't a 'triplets' type situation like Dallas, or even like Manning, Harrison and James. Joe used a lot of different guys who came and went over the years. I have a Sports Illustrated from Jan. 1982, right after the "Catch" game that sent them to their first Super Bowl. Dallas coach Tom Landry, who had just lost, was quoted as saying "Montana has to be the key. There really isn't anything else there." I would go so far as to say there was nothing else there, but I will say it was Montana that made the difference, he was truly special and great himself.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The reasons they won so much was... c, nobody else did.
This is laughable...the reason tha Pats won 3 Superbowls is because nobody else did. What kind of argument is that?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Brady is NOT the Super amazing QB that Terry Bradshaw were, and never will be.
C'mon...you're using Bradshaw?
Yes the man won 4 SuperBowls, but if you wanna argue about a QB being on a team with a great D and winning, Terry's your guy.
We went through this last year when you argued that Brett Favre wasn't one of the top 10 all time QB's and I asked you 10 better and one of the names you listed was Bradshaw. I threw every QB's career stats out for you, Bradshaw's were the worst in the bunch by a longshot. The man has a career 51.9 completeion percentage, 212 TDs to 210 INTs. Brady's completeion percentage for his career stands at 61.7 and his TD-Int ratio is 105-56.
So Bradshaw threw 1 TD for every 1 int and Brady throws 2TDs for every 1 int.

You gotta do better than that.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So again, I compare the recent Pats to the Redskins of the 80's who won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs
Except for one small issue, the Pats have done it with one QB...Tom Brady.

Quote:
And speaking of free agency spreading the talent around I've seen it said that the Colts are the most complete post free agency team.
By who? In the free agency/salary cap era, lets call it the last 10 years, the Colts have zero championships, and zero appearances in the Super Bowl.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Montana won his first 2 Super Bowls with Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon at wide reciever, and running backs whose names I can't even remember.
I guess Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, and John Taylor didn't contribute much to the other super bowl wins? I think those are some pretty good guys around him. Not to mention Ronnie Lott, the 49ers were a dynasty because the teams they assembled were awesome due to the lack of a salary cap. They could spend money how they wanted. Montana was great, but he wasn't doing it alone.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Craig played in Montana's 2nd SuperBowl. So he only had 1 without a high profile RB (though Earl Cooper was a tremendous fullback)
And I wouldn't exactly call Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon chopped liver.

And lets not forget Brady's first 2 wins came with Antowain Smith as RB.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Craig played in Montana's 2nd SuperBowl. So he only had 1 without a high profile RB (though Earl Cooper was a tremendous fullback)
He was a rookie of not much acclaim at the time. They also used Carl Monroe.

Quote:
And I wouldn't exactly call Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon chopped liver.

Oh, I am certainly not, just saying they were different guys, it wasn't the same thing as a team having the same ones like Bradshaw having Stallworth and Swann the whole time.