The Official 2005 NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Kitten said:

So I leave out Aikman. Never liked him anyway, I really just added him because I do dislike him and wanted to prove that my dislike for Brady is not the only reason I diss on him.

Well, you don't just leave someone out when he's won three Super Bowls and is on his way to Canton next year...

phanan said:

Well, you don't just leave someone out when he's won three Super Bowls and is on his way to Canton next year...

I can guarantee you he will NOT be inducted into the Hall of Fame next year. You have to be retired for 5 years before you can even be on the ballot for consideration, so it will be years before he's even eligible.

Then you still have to be voted on. It's not an automatic. Lynn Swann and other greats still aren't in.

Um, next year is his first year of eligibility - 2000 was his last season. He'll definitely be going.

And Lynn Swann is already in there! You really should get your facts straight before making such claims...

phanan said:
Um, next year is his first year of eligibility - 2000 was his last season. He'll definitely be going.

And Lynn Swann is already in there! You really should get your facts straight before making such claims...

Sorry, misread your post, thought you meant Brady...:crack:

enough of this idiocy... tom brady's a great qb until proven otherwise... let's get this thread back on to more important subjects... such as...

:bow:
a_manning_vi.jpg
:bow:

What a wild finish in Seattle today, eh? I was loving it. I might be the only non-Cowboys fan among my friends, so I am always wanting them to lose. It was wonderful seeing my roommate pout after Bledsoe fucked up.

They aren't good and they aren't going anywhere.

Did I mention I hate the Cowboys

inmyplace13 said:
What a wild finish in Seattle today, eh? I was loving it. I might be the only non-Cowboys fan among my friends, so I am always wanting them to lose. It was wonderful seeing my roommate pout after Bledsoe fucked up.

They aren't good and they aren't going anywhere.

Did I mention I hate the Cowboys
You are not the only one.
I have hated the Cowboys for about 26 years with a passion. Anyday they lose is a great football day for me.

mdw3935 said:

You are not the only one.
I have hated the Cowboys for about 26 years with a passion. Anyday they lose is a great football day for me.

I hate Dallas and have ever since I was a kid. I have always rooted against them, and will root for anyone over them! I also hate how the majority of cowboy 'fans' I've met are only fairweather bandwagoners who can only name 2 players, don't watch the games and know nothing of the history, they just want to wear that big blue star and brag. Makes me sick.

Of course when there is nothing to brag about, they put the star jackets away and switch teams, most of all, they shut up. Oh the pleasure. I want them to lose so their fans and fake fans will shut up.

Also want to say, I don't want to offend anybody. I know not all Dallas fans are like that. There are some who really love football, know a lot about it and like their team no matter what. It was a Cowboy fan, a girl in elementary school, that started me liking football and told me the rules so it didn't look like guys just knocking each other over anymore and made it interesting. But sorry about 80% of the Dallas 'fans' I've met over the years fit into the category described in the post above. Maybe it's because I live in Redskins territory.

U2Kitten said:
Maybe it's because I live in Redskins territory.

bingo...

i'd imagine those who actually live in texas are "real" fans, however we're describing "real" fans these days.

i actually hate the igles and the jets more than i hate the cowboys :shrug: i dislike the cowboys... don't really hate 'em.

hated emmit smith though :mad:

what about the finish of the Chargers - Eagles game? talk about snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat.
I had a bad feeling when the announcers were saying "Kaeding is perfect. 11/11FG, 22/22 PAT. This guy hasn't missed since the playoffs....."
talk about jinxing a guy....

not that the Cowboys- Seahawks wasn't down to the wire...

Parcells probably didn't let Cortez on the team bus.

zumanity42 said:
what about the finish of the Chargers - Eagles game? talk about snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat.
I had a bad feeling when the announcers were saying "Kaeding is perfect. 11/11FG, 22/22 PAT. This guy hasn't missed since the playoffs....."
talk about jinxing a guy....

You know, I was sitting there watching that, and I realize by converting the field goal that the best Philly could do was force overtime at the end (unless they went for two, of course), but I was sitting there thinking that the Chargers should have went for it on fourth down. Probably sounds crazy, I know, but Philly was out of time outs, and if you convert, you run off the clock and end the game. If you don't, you still have a four point lead, meaning Philly would have had to go down the field and score, something that they hadn't really done in the second half.

I just think it would have worked out better, but hey, what do I know...

i can't say i disagree with the attempt to get the FG.
puts SD up by seven, which pretty much locked a win, but...
the right side of the offensive line collapsed, which allowed enough penetration to block the freakin' 28 yd kick.

it was a chip shot gone horribly wrong.

The way Phill's D had stuffed Tomlinson all game, going for it on 4th down was not much of an option.
The kick (40 yarder, not 28) was not a chip shot, but certainly a very high percentage kick for an NFL kicker.
Philly's block team just made the play. Special teams are a critical part of the game, even if the Pittsburgh Steelers refuse to acknowledge that special teams plays count after they lose AFC title games.:wink:

I've tried to be nice to Drew Bledsoe after he left New England. Seriously, I've tried.

But he truly outdid himself Sunday against the Seahawks.

Hewson said:
The way Phill's D had stuffed Tomlinson all game, going for it on 4th down was not much of an option.
The kick (40 yarder, not 28) was not a chip shot, but certainly a very high percentage kick for an NFL kicker.
Philly's block team just made the play. Special teams are a critical part of the game, even if the Pittsburgh Steelers refuse to acknowledge that special teams plays count after they lose AFC title games.:wink:

tomlinson gets completely shut down and philly still needs a blocked field goal and a fumble to win the game...

yea... i'm liking that.

There is no doubt watching the Iggles that Chunky Soup is hurting and its affecting his play.
The division is ripe for the picking this year...this week's G-Men/Deadskins game is once again an important affair.

zumanity42 said:
i'm not a c-boys fan, but how could anybody hate Emmit.

Dallas wouldn't have tthree SB wins without him....
Trust me, I hated Emmit. I hated anybody who has worn or is wearing the Cowboys uniform. I guess being from Houston and being a Houston Oiler fan, I hated living in their shadow of greatness. Also having a brother who is a diehard fan always rubbing it in my face growning up didn't help matters.

I also live in Redskins territory and got the biggest pleasure when they beat Dallas this year. Just to see the faces of shock and disbelief on those fans there at Texas Stadium was priceless. If only they had shown Jerry Jones' face too. :evil:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ironicly enough... eli has already shown, all be it early, an uncanny abillity to show up when things get tougher, as opposed to his brother who tends to disapear in those same situations.
Oooooh...a Headache zing thrown in the direction of Pey-pey, that may be a first...well played.

Hewson said:
Oooooh...a Headache zing thrown in the direction of Pey-pey, that may be a first...well played.

:wink:

i knew you'd like that. call it a case of E.I.O.G. (eli induced over giddyness).

about half of new york seems to have been struck with it...

there's no question that peyton is, at this point, by far the better quarterback... but again, eli just seems to have that special quality about him

Last edited:
Eli did play very well in the clutch yesterday (I enjoyed it very much, had the game to go over 46), the one thing I noticed that I mentioned last season is he still gets more than his share of balls batted down at the line, something Giants' fans will have to live with I guess.

And I heard the LA thing on the radio yesterday...they also said that N'awlins might get a new franchise, but not for at least 10-15 years.

The league has been looking for a way to get back into LA (its disgraceful that the #2 market in the country doesn't have a team), and this may be the way it happens. N'awlins' mayor (Mayor Don'tPissMeOff), has said he wants the Saints' name and logo to stay for expansion much like the Clevelan situation.

DaveC said:
Are you ready for some football?

Training camps are open, preseason has started, and we don't even have an official NFL thread yet. I can't understand this, but hereby take the honor of creating one for this season.

Seeing as there's not a whole lot going on as of yet, let's make some predictions, shall we?

NFC
North
1. Green Bay (10-6)
2. Chicago (8-8)
3. Minnesota (6-10)
4. Detroit (3-13)

West
1. St. Louis (11-5)
2. San Francisco (9-7)
3. Seattle (7-9)
4. Arizona (4-12)

PLAYOFFS
NFC
Wild Card
San Francisco 17 at Atlanta 3

Divisional
San Francisco 7 at Philadelphia 17

Just read this. Yeouch. :huh:

Hewson said:
Eli did play very well in the clutch yesterday (I enjoyed it very much, had the game to go over 46), the one thing I noticed that I mentioned last season is he still gets more than his share of balls batted down at the line, something Giants' fans will have to live with I guess.

you're right with that... he does get a lot of passes hit at the line, which is strange for a 6'5" qb... :shrug:

here's an article by skip bayless on espn.com...

Damn! Did You See That?
By Skip Bayless
Page 2

Eli's coming?

No, Eli was going back, back, back. Hide your hearts now, Giants fans.

For a long moment, it looked like it might be a Three Dog Night early Sunday night at Giants Stadium. The '60s group that sang "Eli's Coming" took their name from Australian Aborigines, who on the coldest nights slept next to three of their dogs to keep warm.

Back Eli Manning pedaled, looking in vain for a receiver as the final seconds ticked away. No, Eli, no.

The play had begun on the Denver 2-yard line with 10 seconds left and the Giants trailing by six, 23-17. Time for two quick pass plays.
Unless …

With Broncos safety John Lynch coming free on an up-the-middle blitz, Eli just kept backing up, risking a disastrous sack. Another split-second, and Lynch would have smothered Eli at the 15-yard line.

But Eli whipped what was basically a no-look pass, ducking as he fired to where he thought Amani Toomer was headed. This was no safe throw to a corner of the end zone. This one was aimed right down the middle, where several white-jerseyed Broncos might be able to get a hand on it.

Eli, whose football IQ is approaching his big brother Peyton's, obviously knew that Toomer had attracted the most favorable matchup. With Champ Bailey, the NFL's best cover corner, all over Plaxico Burress, Toomer was being chased by rookie backup corner Jay Feely, a third-round draft pick out of Maryland. Starter Darrent Williams had limped off a couple of plays earlier.

Toomer broke from the back of the end zone toward the goal line, rose into the chilly night and snagged Eli's bullet. And suddenly Giants Stadium went from "No, Eli," to "YES!"

Touchdown.

Damn.

Eli's coming -- of age.

As Eli's veteran teammates jumped all over each other as if they'd just won the Little League World Series, kicker Jay Feely tacked on the exclamation point: Giants 24, Broncos 23.

Yes, those were the same veteran teammates who didn't quite trust Eli last year, when he was a rookie. Then, they thought they had a better chance of making the playoffs with Kurt Warner as their quarterback. They were wrong about Warner.

But with one backpedaling, no-look, last-gasp touchdown pass, this kid convinced the Tiki Barbers and Michael Strahans that they can make this year's playoffs with a sophomore quarterback.

Could be.

The NFL's offensive Play of the Day was New York-big for the Giants and their quarterback. They came back to beat, arguably, the NFL's second-best team (behind Indianapolis) after looking overmatched for three-plus quarters. And Eli pulled off something that his big brother hasn't been known for -- a last-ditch comeback.

Father Archie made his share of late-game magic, especially at Ole Miss. But as great as Peyton is, he hasn't built his legacy on Montana-esque rallies. No, Peyton has usually thrown too many touchdown passes in the first three quarters to need late heroics.

But Eli announced his arrival with a last-second TD pass that stopped Denver's five-game winning streak.

It came so unexpectedly, because the Broncos led 23-10 early in the fourth quarter. It appeared the Giants couldn't stop Denver's surgical running game or Jake Plummer's play-action rollouts. And when Eli missed his 6-foot-5 security blanket -- Plaxico -- and Champ Bailey made a diving interception with 4:46 left, it looked an awful lot like the Giants would fall to 3-3 and questions would remain about Eli's consistency and leadership fire.

At times the kid just looks so passionless.

But the Giants' defense bailed him out, finally forcing the Broncos to go three-and-out. After the punt, Eli took over at his own 17 with 3:29 left.

This situation was why Eli told the San Diego Chargers he wouldn't play for them if they took him with the first overall pick. Several sources close to the Manning family say Eli was the one who wanted to force a trade to the Giants and "play the palace," as New York Times columnist Red Smith used to call playing for a New York team. This wasn't daddy's or big brother's game plan. This was Eli's.

How many 22-year-olds would have the guts and vision to scare off the Chargers so he could subject himself to the ultimate pressure of playing in New York? Not only would Eli have to live up to being the Giants' savior -- but he risked constant comparisons in the Big Apple media to his brother, who just happens to be the NFL's best quarterback.

But it was clear on Sunday that Eli wanted to be no place but Giants Stadium, 73 yards from the winning touchdown. He completed nine of 13 on that final drive, including the final two-yarder that felt like it was thrown from 30 yards.

In that regard, it reminded you a little of Joe Montana's most famous completion, which became The Catch, made by Dwight Clark to beat Dallas for the 1981 NFC championship. Though that play began at the 6-yard line, Montana retreated so far with Too Tall Jones leaping in his face that the pass felt almost like a bomb.

Eli didn't just flip a swing pass to Tiki. No, he made this Montana-dramatic. He went back, back, back into history to launch his legend. No, Eli. YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom