The Office (U.S.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I've been watching it lately. Having been a big fan of the original UK series, I had my doubts over whether the NBC remake could work.

But lately, I find myself really liking this show...for different reasons. Steve Carell is downright petty and mean spirited, compared to Ricky Gervais' well-intentioned buffoonery. But why would I want an exact copy of the latter? Then we'd probably get even more complaints. I also think the U.S. version actually has more character development with the minor office characters, rather than how the UK version just focused on the same core characters. And it works.

Anyway, while there was a lot of hoopla over NBC remaking such a venerable British comedy, I really do think that both can successfully coexist.

Melon

Since I loved the UK version so much, I've avoided the U.S. version. However, my brother (also a fan of the original) has said that the new version is quite good. But I just can't bring myself to watch it.

Did anyone watch it last night? Their Christmas episode was absolutely hilarious!!! I've seen a few episodes of the British version and I really like both (I'll have to rent the original over my winter break). Steve Carrell is vicious. What a jackass!

Ahhh, yesterday's episode is my new favorite :up:

I've seen both the US & UK versions but this one if my favorite mainly because I've seen all the episodes in the actual running order so I've gotten a feel of the characters.
I love Jim, Dwight, Phillis, Pam, Angela and Kevin (creepy smiling guy)!!

One of the best shows on at the moment on primetime :happy:

I loved yesterday's episode as well...I've never seen the U.K. version, but I watch the U.S. version regularly and it's hilarious. :lol: I :heart: Steve Carrell! It was so like his character to start "Yankee Swap" after getting the oven mitt....:lmao:

I rented the entire BBC Office and watched it back to back with the US Office and even though the shows share similar characters and the pilots are basically the same

they're both different, and I agree the minor characters get more development, and Carell is an asshole as the boss, while Gervais is more of an idiot

I love the US version. Its very funny. Ive never watched the UK version but I hear good things.

I've never seen the UK version, but I never miss the US version. I think it's pretty spot on the drudgery and crap that really happens in the workplace, the idiotioc asswipe boss, the weird "will they or won't they" flirtation, the lame office parties, etc.

And I actually liked Phyllis's knitted oven mitt. Michael was such tool in his reaction (well, of course, that's his personality). However, I would die if I got that creepy baby poster that Angela got.

And Kelly and Meredith? WTF?

Awww, that was so sad with Tim and Pam! Dwight was such a bastard not letting Jim buy it back. Thought "c'mon, you don't want this awesome shamrock keychain?" HAHAH!

sorry melon, didn't know you had started this thread.

perhaps we should merge these two threads?

so is dwight better than gareth?

i say they're both equal, but in different ways - much like the shows themselves.

dwight is a complete nerdlinger who won't even let people open their presents unless michael is there to guide them.

gareth is 7ust a pycho perv who looks like he's gonna kill someone.

good times!

exactly, the corresponding characters of the diff versions are funny in their own rights

like what you said with Dwight/Gareth
and Michael/David and the other ones I can't think of right now

They've just finished showing the US version in the UK. It was dumped in a graveyard slot and received no publicity but I'm going to be brave and say that I think it's superior to the original.

Not as good as Extras but I think with the exception Tim/Jim the characters were better in the US version of things. Not sure that the US settings matched up with the horror that is Slough and Swindon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom