The Office Part 3: It's Got a Sort of Oaky Afterbirth - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #106
The Fly

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Okay, right now I'm watching Business School, and this episode always makes me wonder how people can't like Michael, despite his many faults. The scene at the end with him and Pam is so incredibly touching. He's such a great, complex character. Certainly he's self-centered, obnoxious, and idiotic at times, but then we get other glimpses of him like this where he's so awesome, sympathetic, and human. I've never gotten the impression that any of these bad qualities come from a malicious place, which would make him wholly unlikable. Rather, I think he's just insecure, socially dumb, and naive. This is in sharp contrast to his English counterpart, David Brent, who was rarely (never? I can't recall) ever shown to be so vulnerable and sympathetic.
Agreed. I also like that part before he goes to Pam's art show. He tells Ryan something like this: "A good manager hires and inspires people, and people will never go out of business."

Michael is a jerk but he's not a jerk on purpose. He actually cares about his employees (except for Toby, but he's gone now anyways). Ryan is an insensitive douchebag, but he knows that he's an insensitive douchebag and he doesn't care.

I really think that Ryan should have had more screen time this season. I know a little bit of his doucheyness goes a long way, but it just seems like they jammed too much in at the end. He was actually trying with the website at first. Then all of the sudden he stops caring about that and he starts caring about getting coked up, going after Jim, and screwing over the company and himself. He's probably going to be in prison for a long time - I wonder if he'll still be on the show at all?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillers View Post
Agreed. I also like that part before he goes to Pam's art show. He tells Ryan something like this: "A good manager hires and inspires people, and people will never go out of business."

Michael is a jerk but he's not a jerk on purpose. He actually cares about his employees (except for Toby, but he's gone now anyways). Ryan is an insensitive douchebag, but he knows that he's an insensitive douchebag and he doesn't care.

I really think that Ryan should have had more screen time this season. I know a little bit of his doucheyness goes a long way, but it just seems like they jammed too much in at the end. He was actually trying with the website at first. Then all of the sudden he stops caring about that and he starts caring about getting coked up, going after Jim, and screwing over the company and himself. He's probably going to be in prison for a long time - I wonder if he'll still be on the show at all?
I also enjoy the moments where we get to see Michael excelling at sales. He's not a good manager, but he clearly has good people skills when it comes to sales.

I agree we didn't get to see enough of Ryan's downward spiral. I suspect that's probably to do with the strike-shortened season. Such a shame.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

What's funny is that I have no problem with Michael being a jerk to Toby - for some reason the joke that Michael has a completely irrational hatred of Toby works for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #109
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I'm actually kind of hopeful for Michael's storyline with the new HR gal. It might make for more situations where the likeable Michael Scott comes forward.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm actually kind of hopeful for Michael's storyline with the new HR gal. It might make for more situations where the likeable Michael Scott comes forward.

When she started talking like Yoda, too, I was like, "Ok, Michael, plllleeeease do not screw this up!" lol
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I agree completely about Michael. He's the glue that holds the show together.

There's some sympathy for David in the Christmas Specials, after he's been fired, but that's about it.
David Brent (at least for me) gains some sympathy at the end of season 2, and in the Christmas special.

The last 5 minutes of season 2 is especially tragic for David. Here's a man who nobody likes, and he's finally realized that he isn't who he thought he was....a chilled out entertainer.

I think at the end of the Christmas Special, you start to see David show a nicer side. He found a women who could handle his "jokes" and personality, and you kind of got a glimpse that for the first time in probably a long time David Brent could be happy.

Michael Scott does have a nice side, and the scene with Pam at the art show is very touching. This latest season though it's been very tough to root for MS because he's been so over the top, and there's been very little redeeming qualities.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #112
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
What's funny is that I have no problem with Michael being a jerk to Toby - for some reason the joke that Michael has a completely irrational hatred of Toby works for me.
"This is a place of welcoming, and you should get the hell out of here."

Toby did turn out to be a creep, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I also enjoy the moments where we get to see Michael excelling at sales. He's not a good manager, but he clearly has good people skills when it comes to sales.

I agree we didn't get to see enough of Ryan's downward spiral. I suspect that's probably to do with the strike-shortened season. Such a shame.
He's really just a guy who's been promoted to a spot that's too high for him.

Another thing I liked that was set-up this season was how much Jim acts like Michael whenever he's put in charge of the office. I really feel like we missed out on some great stuff because of the strike.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Toby did turn out to be a creep, though.
Oh, I don't think he was a creep. He was just a guy with an unrequited crush, and when he went too far (oops, my hand's on her knee!), his embarrassment resulted in hilarious fence-jumping!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #114
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh, I don't think he was a creep. He was just a guy with an unrequited crush, and when he went too far (oops, my hand's on her knee!), his embarrassment resulted in hilarious fence-jumping!
That was hilarious, but in the end, I still found him to be pathetic and slightly creepy.

Great Michaelisms about Toby:

Jan: No, Michael. We, we need an HR rep. So, uh, I think you should just bring Toby.
Michael: Hey, I'd rather kill myself.
Jan: Michael, he's your branch's HR rep...
Michael: [talking over Jan] No, Toby is terrible. Toby is the worst human being I've ever known.

Jim: Hey... how's Toby?
Michael: Toby Flenderson is everything that is wrong with the paper industry.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Not Toby-related, but I just thought of this and how hilarious Michael's delivery was:

Michael: Will they throw their hats, you think?
Ryan: What?
Michael: A lot of time at a school, or naval academy, after a rousing speech the crowd will throw its hats high into the air.
Ryan: You understand no ones graduating.
Michael: I know, I know. I'm just saying if they did throw their hats I've got a great line for that. 'May your hats fly as high as your dreams.'

(Also, I enjoy bumping threads above the Sex & the City thread... fucking hate everything about that show, probably because of my Y-chromosome.)
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

thanks LMP for posting that, it caught me by surprise and really made me laugh out loud!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #117
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That was hilarious, but in the end, I still found him to be pathetic and slightly creepy.

Great Michaelisms about Toby:

Jan: No, Michael. We, we need an HR rep. So, uh, I think you should just bring Toby.
Michael: Hey, I'd rather kill myself.
Jan: Michael, he's your branch's HR rep...
Michael: [talking over Jan] No, Toby is terrible. Toby is the worst human being I've ever known.

Jim: Hey... how's Toby?
Yeah, that last episode made him out to be very creepy, with the whole obsessing over the photo thing.

Another good Michael line: "I didn't hire an ex-convict. Unless they mean Toby. Convicted rapist."
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm finishing off with this nugget:

"Holly is sweet, and simple. Like a lady baker. I would not be surprised to find out that she had worked in a bakery before coming here. She has that kind of warmth ... I'm pretty sure she's baked on a professional level."
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillers View Post
September 25
OH FUCK NO .

that is WAYYYYYYYYYYY to long.

sex in the city is made of PHAIL.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

How awful for you Sex and the City haters, to have to look at a thread title where there's people doing horrible things ... like talking about how they enjoy it!

Poor babies. Waaaaaah.

Tags
the office