The Office Part 3: It's Got a Sort of Oaky Afterbirth - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:56 AM
I also loved the rock he gave Toby... I know a few people at my office I'd love to do the same thing to.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #92
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Thank God for Tivo - I can't remember how many times I had to pause and rewind because I was laughing so hard

Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:56 AM
And Andy's parents were present at the going away party/proposal. Those were his parents, right?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #94
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:56 AM
OMG! yeah, Andy's parents they were so happy he was getting engaged!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 PM
OMG what an episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was so good, yet damm that Andi

poor pam and jim oh that killed me.

love the new girl, she was hillarious with kevin- and then kevin saying to the camera- i'm totally going to bang her !

and the exit interview .

may have to go watch this one again .

it was a great night for me as i also had the supernatural finale to watch as well.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 AM
"I keep these m+m's in a jar at my desk so nobody steals them."

"I like pie."

"I'm totally gonna bang her."

Kevin
Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #97
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:56 AM
hahahhaha

'you drive?!?!'

'uh huh!'

i love it!!!

awwww, when is it coming back?!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #98
The Fly

Local Time: 05:56 AM
September 25
Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, right now I'm watching Business School, and this episode always makes me wonder how people can't like Michael, despite his many faults. The scene at the end with him and Pam is so incredibly touching. He's such a great, complex character. Certainly he's self-centered, obnoxious, and idiotic at times, but then we get other glimpses of him like this where he's so awesome, sympathetic, and human. I've never gotten the impression that any of these bad qualities come from a malicious place, which would make him wholly unlikable. Rather, I think he's just insecure, socially dumb, and naive. This is in sharp contrast to his English counterpart, David Brent, who was rarely (never? I can't recall) ever shown to be so vulnerable and sympathetic.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #100
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Okay, right now I'm watching Business School, and this episode always makes me wonder how people can't like Michael, despite his many faults. The scene at the end with him and Pam is so incredibly touching. He's such a great, complex character. Certainly he's self-centered, obnoxious, and idiotic at times, but then we get other glimpses of him like this where he's so awesome, sympathetic, and human. I've never gotten the impression that any of these bad qualities come from a malicious place, which would make him wholly unlikable. Rather, I think he's just insecure, socially dumb, and naive. This is in sharp contrast to his English counterpart, David Brent, who was rarely (never? I can't recall) ever shown to be so vulnerable and sympathetic.
I agree completely about Michael. He's the glue that holds the show together.

There's some sympathy for David in the Christmas Specials, after he's been fired, but that's about it.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:56 AM
I think that was the show's intention all along - make him have moments of likability, because otherwise he's completely unsympathetic.

It used to work for me, especially in the episode you mentioned. But now, the little moments of him being likable are too few and far between, and his moments of "I CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S SUCH AN ASSHOLE/I CAN'T BELIEVE HE HAS A JOB!!!!!!" far, far outweigh the little nice bits for me.

They need to either ramp up the one side or tone down the other. I really, really wish they'd tone down the other.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #102
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Hopefully the Holly storyline will help with that. I can't stand OTT Michael or Dwight either, it's a sign of poor writing.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I think that was the show's intention all along - make him have moments of likability, because otherwise he's completely unsympathetic.

It used to work for me, especially in the episode you mentioned. But now, the little moments of him being likable are too few and far between, and his moments of "I CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S SUCH AN ASSHOLE/I CAN'T BELIEVE HE HAS A JOB!!!!!!" far, far outweigh the little nice bits for me.

They need to either ramp up the one side or tone down the other. I really, really wish they'd tone down the other.
Yeah, I'm sure it was the intention from the start. You couldn't sustain a character like that for a long run without having him have endearing moments, which wasn't a concern for the the BBC version.

I agree that they've not had nearly as many likable moments for Michael recently, but what they have had, and what seems to function in much the same way for me (but not for you, from the sound of it) are moments where he is a sympathetic character. That's been very much the case for me this season, and I can think of a lot of episodes where my heart has just about broken for him. These would include most of The Deposition, where he was torn between the company and Jan, his scene with Jan sitting on the train discussing his money problems, his second job and everything that ensued with that, most of Dinner Party and his relationship with crazy Jan, his decision to attend Lamaze with Jan despite him not being the father (sorry, as I type, I keep thinking of more and more). Also, throughout the series, we keep hearing little offhand tidbits about how shitty his childhood was, and finally, his intense desire to be a dad, which, I think he'd be a great one, just that the mother would have to be the adult and disciplinarian of the equation.

Good lord, I never realized I had all these intense feelings about Michael Scott. I should start a fan club, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Hopefully the Holly storyline will help with that. I can't stand OTT Michael or Dwight either, it's a sign of poor writing.
The one scene of Michael's that I thought was so over the top it just rubbed me the wrong way was him driving into the lake. That was just dumb if it bugged even me, writers.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #104
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

My all-time favorite episode revolves around a crazy Michael moment though: The Injury. It cracks me up every single time, along with Drug Testing.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Watching Dwight not only throw up on the back of his car, but also get up and drive away ... I never laughed harder watching a live TV broadcast than that moment.

Tags
the office