The Office Part 2: Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #631
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:13 AM
I don't watch comedies for believability either, but the fact is, the set up of the show is as a mock documentary. I know we're watching the filming of it, not the final documentary itself, but still.

Why couldn't they write Michael getting fired into the storyline? Surely there's LOADS of opportunity there. You know he'd be in everyone's faces all the time, despite having been fired. He'd still want to be all buddy-buddy, and at least make an attempt to change his ways ... which might be funny in itself, because you know he'd fail.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #632
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I think they scripted Michael's anger at him way too early. I wish they'd played it more like in the beginning with his talking head about the twinkle in his eye (which killed me), and continued that for a while. Like, Michael still thinks they're cool with each other, while Ryan clearly isn't a fan of his.
I don't know, if I were Michael, I'd probably feel the same way. He sees him as his protege, then he comes back in treats him like garbage; Jan feeds him the ageism thing, Creed puts printer ink in his hair... it all fits together.

Like CoriA said, Michael being fired would have loads of potential. Look at what happened with the British series. Sure this show's gone in a different direction since the first season, but it could still happen.

Jim and Pam didn't bother me this episode. The more I think about it, Jim's not too smug, just extremely happy. How would you be if you've been crushing on a girl for years and it's finally happening, it'd be pretty surreal.

Fuck, I just wrote a dissertation on a sitcom.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #633
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I don't watch comedies for believability either, but the fact is, the set up of the show is as a mock documentary. I know we're watching the filming of it, not the final documentary itself, but still.

Why couldn't they write Michael getting fired into the storyline? Surely there's LOADS of opportunity there. You know he'd be in everyone's faces all the time, despite having been fired. He'd still want to be all buddy-buddy, and at least make an attempt to change his ways ... which might be funny in itself, because you know he'd fail.
Maybe because the BBC version included that very scenario, and the EP's do not want to repeat themselves.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #634
Refugee

Local Time: 04:13 PM
Yeah, I could see firing Michael, but I think it would have to be toward the end of the series. The supporting characters are becoming pretty strong, but Steve Carell is the franchise right now, and if he's not the boss (or at least working in the Scranton branch), wouldn't he have to be in a much-reduced role on the show?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #635
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Fuck, I just wrote a dissertation on a sitcom.

Hence my Zapruder comment. It's a sit-com, it's not designed to be picked apart.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #636
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Maybe because the BBC version included that very scenario, and the EP's do not want to repeat themselves.
I think by this point they've successfully established themselves as different from the British version. I don't think anyone would care.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #637
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I think by this point they've successfully established themselves as different from the British version. I don't think anyone would care.
Re-read what I said. The Executive producers might care. They are the same producers (Gervais and Merchant) from the BBC version. It's possible, audience be damned, that they are determined not to repeat plot likes because artistically, they do not want to repeat themselves.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #638
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Hence my Zapruder comment. It's a sit-com, it's not designed to be picked apart.
Right, but it's still a different type of sitcom, I don't know what to call it though. Not a "double-cam, laugh-tracked, staged" sitcom, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #639
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Right, but it's still a different type of sitcom, I don't know what to call it though. Not a "double-cam, laugh-tracked, staged" sitcom, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Calling it a "single-camera verite" sitcom would likely do the trick. Something like that.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #640
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Calling it a "single-camera verite" sitcom would likely do the trick. Something like that.
Sounds good.

That being said, one thing I'm loving about The Office now is the steady stream of callbacks to other episodes, something my dearly departed Arrested had down a T.

Like I said before, the Big picture from The Injury killed me.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #641
Blue Crack Supplier

The callbacks are a blessing and a curse. A blessing for devoted fans, a curse for new viewers.

I am glad the 2nd episode was an improvement from week 1....I was worried that perhaps a bunch of writers had moved on, and that the quality would drop off.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #642
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:13 AM
After a re-watch, I'm feeling better about this episode.

That whole scene was great, from the Big picture (leading to the Creed ink revelation), Michael trying to outplay Ryan with the old guy, and his examples being "storytelling, like the lady from Titanic, and humor, with things like 'Where's the Beef?'"

I'm still not sure about how I feel about Jim's attitude. I can see the excitement, but he still comes off a bit smug to me.

That said, if I was with the Pam I'd be smug too.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #643
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The callbacks are a blessing and a curse. A blessing for devoted fans, a curse for new viewers.
Definitely, but some of them, like the Big picture, are still funny no matter what.

Kevin calling Ryan "Fire Guy" is only funny to the die-hards though, like you said.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #644
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:13 AM
I've really liked Andy, Toby, and Creed in the first two episodes. I loved Andy running up and doing the "Fire Guy" thing without even understanding it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #645
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't notice this before, but Andy always copies Jim's chair movements/positions.

Funny stuff, Tuna.