The Office Part 2: Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
Did anyone notice Angela's Stop-Drop and Roll during the bat flyng around? That was awesome. joss Whedon = A god.
Dwight's fall off of the desk when the bat first escapes was also priceless.

If you think Michael Scott is over the top, you need to watch Season 2 of the BBC version of the office. David Brent's character was painful to watch, in almost each episode. At least Michael redeemed himself at the art show in this episode.

Easily, my favorite little thread running through this show is Jim messing with Dwight. It appeals to me on many levels and is never not funny to me.

I liked to dislike Andy when he was in the Stamford office "I will literally kill you!!", but he was hard to take when he moved to Scranton.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 04:52 AM
get your office supplies here

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5397175

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #48
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I know. I've been watching the BBC one on dvd all week. Name mixups would happen eventually.

Office minus Andy =
I read Ed Helms is going to be a series regular when he gets back.

I liked Andy, but not as a regular

"I know that book was expensive, but the lesson was priceless"
Old 02-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yesterday's episode was funny but i didn't get the "funniest episode so far" feeling everyone else got. then again i did get that with the Initiation (i think it's called) episode and loved how annoying Andy was.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #50
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I loved The Initiation. It's the best Dwight-centric episode since "Drug Testing", which is one of all-time faves.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
If you think Michael Scott is over the top, you need to watch Season 2 of the BBC version of the office. David Brent's character was painful to watch, in almost each episode. At least Michael redeemed himself at the art show in this episode.
I think that's where the US version of the Office is starting to falter. It wants the main character to be cringe-worthy and "oh god, make him shut up!" but it also wants the viewer to sympathize with him.

David Brent was rarely redeemed (the final Christmas episode special thingy excepted, but that was the END end, so it's forgivable).

I don't think the US version can have it both ways. I don't think the typical American TV viewer wants to watch a character who's not sympathetic.

On the one hand, people might get turned off if you keep Michael Scott so unlikable (me included). On the other hand, if he has redeeming moments in each episode to erase the cringe-worthiness, then it's not "The Office."

I dunno. I'm starting to lose some love for the show. I loved the British version, despite the "oh god, someone make him stop!" moments with David Brent.

The US version has a much stronger focus on the side characters as well. But I suppose since the US version is trying to keep going for more than 2 seasons (the British version stopped at 2, and I believe it was planned that way all along), you have to have more characters to be interested in.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

I definitely prefer the BBC version, for a few reasons. And while I enjoy the NBC version, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be interested, because I can only take so much of a cringe-worthy character being the focus of the show. And since the BBC version was so short, I was not exposed to dealing with Brent's very painful behavior for too long; it was the perfect length, to me.

Yes, the BBC version was never meant to exceed 2 seasons, and credit Gervais/Merchant for not caving into network pressure to do anything beyond that 2 hour finale. Art, for once, won out over commerce.

The NBC version still makes me laugh, though.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #53
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I think Michael's a more believable character than David Brent ever was, sure he's the classic archetype of the boss who thought he was the best shit ever, but not much beyond that. The Specials helped develop his character more, but that was about it for me.

Michael on the other hand is close to David in the first season (which was close to god-awful save The Alliance and Diversity Day) but deviates after that.

Michael proves to be a successful salesman in "The Client" and "Traveling Salesman" while still being his usual clueless self in other episodes. Plus, you can tell most of his problems stem from his fear of loneliness and rejection, which he gets most of the time until people take pity on him.

I agree that on some episodes Michael's too outrageous and unbelievable, but so is Dwight's whole character but he's still a lovable character.

The huge disparity in length between the UK and US versions (14 UK episodes vs. 30+ US episodes) forces the writers to develop basically every character even more, with Michael being the focus of that development.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh yeah, it makes total sense, and I agree with all of that, especially the bit about loneliness and rejection.

But I'm with NoSpokenWords in that I don't want to be cringing so much.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

It makes a lot of sense, and of course, when you have a few seasons worth of TV to write, you need to flesh out all of the characters to a certain extent, or the well will run dry on your main characters.

I think Brent was very believable, in that I worked for a person just like him.

I don't consider either character wholly unbelievable, I just know that after a while, I'll tire a bit of watching awkward moment after awkward moment...kind of like how I hit my limit with Curb.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I had it with Curb too, it was way too ridiculous.

To clarify something, I really think that David Brent was a perfectly believable character, but if that Office ran as long as the US version, his character would've probably "advanced" to be like Michael.

I think it's a logical progression.

But most of The Office's humor is based on awkwardness. In my opinion, it could be the purest, most believable form of comedy.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

We're pretty much on the same page. Well, I mean, we literally are on the same page, but, aside from that, we're basically in agreement here.

Yeah. Curb went from painfully funny to painful for me very quickly. They lost me when Larry had such a vehemently negative reaction to Lewis' need for a donor. I know it's a comedy, and it's fiction, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Back to the Office......Dwight's character is a bit outsized and not 100% believable, but, damn he's enjoyable to laugh at. I'll never, ever, forget the image of him stumbling out of his car and having that really weird stumble, his body was so oddly contorted, and then him puking. Just unreal.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #58
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Dwight's communist speech is one of my favorite things ever.

BLOOD ALONE MOVES THE WHEELS OF HISTORY!

*slam!*
Old 02-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

That one was awesome.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i may have to quibble with all you curb naysayers
curb is by far my favorite show, it's so fucking quotable and larry david at his worst is funnier than entire sitcoms. larry david is a true comic genius, he says and does the wrong things most of the time, and sometimes he actually has good intentions, he's just trying to be affable. the whole 5th season was as good as any other. the whole kidney ordeal and all the mishaps made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt. the whole ski lift and the orthodox jew girl ... "are you fucking nuts?", or him thinking his biological parents where christian... Curb is an excellent show, and the whole improvisation element to it helps it maintain that wackiness while not coming off forced.

Curb, Arrested Development, Office
are probably the shows that have made me go into
laughing fits. they have some similarities and many differences that makes each unique in its own creation of fantastic, quirky humor.