The Office Part 2: Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the candy bars and Ebony and Ivory Towers?

the latter I caught on 2nd viewing.

The candy bars were funny, and I loved the stuff with the bat and Jim.

But my god, the more I watch Michael Scott, the more I just want to turn the channel. He makes me so uncomfortable, and get this ... I KNOW HE'S NOT REAL. He bugs me that much.

The writers of this show are putting Micheal Scott over the top. The first 2 seasons were perfect. Now, the Scott character is just plain weird. It's hard to identify with him. The first two season he was easier to identify with.

This episode was far better than last week's. I laughed out loud so many times. Angela in an old lady rain hat-the visual seriously cracked me up!

And Michael was so assy at Ryan's class, but he really redeemed himself when he went to Pam's art show and then bought one of her creations and put it up in the office. I actually got teary-eyed.

boosterjuice said:
The writers of this show are putting Micheal Scott over the top. The first 2 seasons were perfect. Now, the Scott character is just plain weird. It's hard to identify with him. The first two season he was easier to identify with.

Deserves to be repeated a third time!

:wink:

Golightly Grrl said:
This episode was far better than last week's. I laughed out loud so many times. Angela in an old lady rain hat-the visual seriously cracked me up!

And Michael was so assy at Ryan's class, but he really redeemed himself when he went to Pam's art show and then bought one of her creations and put it up in the office. I actually got teary-eyed.

I got teary eyed, too, at that part.

Of course two seconds into it I got grossed out, then began laughing hysterically. :wink:

Karen acting as Tim's partner in messing with Dwight = me no likey. :angry:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Karen acting as Tim's partner in messing with Dwight = me no likey. :angry:

Wrong Office.

Cease-and-desist email be damned, I just torrented and watched last night's episode since I missed it. I really enjoyed this one.

And I'd argue that this episode went back to the more human Michael than the over-the-top one of Phyllis' Wedding.

thetitans2k said:
I loved micheal taking that guys book and ripping all of the pages out.

Having shelled out $100+ on many a college text book, I couldn't help but cringe when he started ripping those pages out (thank god I was an English major, so after I got the general courses out of the way a typical class had a bunch of novels that I could pick up for under $10, rather than the typical over-priced beast of a textbook!).

inmyplace13 said:

Wrong Office.

Cease-and-desist email be damned, I just torrented and watched last night's episode since I missed it. I really enjoyed this one.

And I'd argue that this episode went back to the more human Michael than the over-the-top one of Phyllis' Wedding.

I know. I've been watching the BBC one on dvd all week. Name mixups would happen eventually. :p

Office minus Andy = :drool:

UberBeaver said:
Did anyone notice Angela's Stop-Drop and Roll during the bat flyng around? That was awesome. joss Whedon = A god.

Dwight's fall off of the desk when the bat first escapes was also priceless.

If you think Michael Scott is over the top, you need to watch Season 2 of the BBC version of the office. David Brent's character was painful to watch, in almost each episode. At least Michael redeemed himself at the art show in this episode.

Easily, my favorite little thread running through this show is Jim messing with Dwight. It appeals to me on many levels and is never not funny to me.

I liked to dislike Andy when he was in the Stamford office "I will literally kill you!!", but he was hard to take when he moved to Scranton.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I know. I've been watching the BBC one on dvd all week. Name mixups would happen eventually. :p

Office minus Andy = :drool:

I read Ed Helms is going to be a series regular when he gets back.

I liked Andy, but not as a regular :(

"I know that book was expensive, but the lesson was priceless"

yesterday's episode was funny but i didn't get the "funniest episode so far" feeling everyone else got. then again i did get that with the Initiation (i think it's called) episode and loved how annoying Andy was.
:reject:

I loved The Initiation. It's the best Dwight-centric episode since "Drug Testing", which is one of all-time faves.

No spoken words said:
If you think Michael Scott is over the top, you need to watch Season 2 of the BBC version of the office. David Brent's character was painful to watch, in almost each episode. At least Michael redeemed himself at the art show in this episode.

I think that's where the US version of the Office is starting to falter. It wants the main character to be cringe-worthy and "oh god, make him shut up!" but it also wants the viewer to sympathize with him.

David Brent was rarely redeemed (the final Christmas episode special thingy excepted, but that was the END end, so it's forgivable).

I don't think the US version can have it both ways. I don't think the typical American TV viewer wants to watch a character who's not sympathetic.

On the one hand, people might get turned off if you keep Michael Scott so unlikable (me included). On the other hand, if he has redeeming moments in each episode to erase the cringe-worthiness, then it's not "The Office."

I dunno. I'm starting to lose some love for the show. I loved the British version, despite the "oh god, someone make him stop!" moments with David Brent.

The US version has a much stronger focus on the side characters as well. But I suppose since the US version is trying to keep going for more than 2 seasons (the British version stopped at 2, and I believe it was planned that way all along), you have to have more characters to be interested in.

I definitely prefer the BBC version, for a few reasons. And while I enjoy the NBC version, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be interested, because I can only take so much of a cringe-worthy character being the focus of the show. And since the BBC version was so short, I was not exposed to dealing with Brent's very painful behavior for too long; it was the perfect length, to me.

Yes, the BBC version was never meant to exceed 2 seasons, and credit Gervais/Merchant for not caving into network pressure to do anything beyond that 2 hour finale. Art, for once, won out over commerce.

The NBC version still makes me laugh, though.

I think Michael's a more believable character than David Brent ever was, sure he's the classic archetype of the boss who thought he was the best shit ever, but not much beyond that. The Specials helped develop his character more, but that was about it for me.

Michael on the other hand is close to David in the first season (which was close to god-awful save The Alliance and Diversity Day) but deviates after that.

Michael proves to be a successful salesman in "The Client" and "Traveling Salesman" while still being his usual clueless self in other episodes. Plus, you can tell most of his problems stem from his fear of loneliness and rejection, which he gets most of the time until people take pity on him.

I agree that on some episodes Michael's too outrageous and unbelievable, but so is Dwight's whole character but he's still a lovable character.

The huge disparity in length between the UK and US versions (14 UK episodes vs. 30+ US episodes) forces the writers to develop basically every character even more, with Michael being the focus of that development.

I hope that makes sense.

Oh yeah, it makes total sense, and I agree with all of that, especially the bit about loneliness and rejection.

But I'm with NoSpokenWords in that I don't want to be cringing so much.

It makes a lot of sense, and of course, when you have a few seasons worth of TV to write, you need to flesh out all of the characters to a certain extent, or the well will run dry on your main characters.

I think Brent was very believable, in that I worked for a person just like him.

I don't consider either character wholly unbelievable, I just know that after a while, I'll tire a bit of watching awkward moment after awkward moment...kind of like how I hit my limit with Curb.

I had it with Curb too, it was way too ridiculous.

To clarify something, I really think that David Brent was a perfectly believable character, but if that Office ran as long as the US version, his character would've probably "advanced" to be like Michael.

I think it's a logical progression.

But most of The Office's humor is based on awkwardness. In my opinion, it could be the purest, most believable form of comedy.

We're pretty much on the same page. Well, I mean, we literally are on the same page, but, aside from that, we're basically in agreement here.

Yeah. Curb went from painfully funny to painful for me very quickly. They lost me when Larry had such a vehemently negative reaction to Lewis' need for a donor. I know it's a comedy, and it's fiction, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Back to the Office......Dwight's character is a bit outsized and not 100% believable, but, damn he's enjoyable to laugh at. I'll never, ever, forget the image of him stumbling out of his car and having that really weird stumble, his body was so oddly contorted, and then him puking. Just unreal. :)

Dwight's communist speech is one of my favorite things ever.

BLOOD ALONE MOVES THE WHEELS OF HISTORY!

*slam!*

i may have to quibble with all you curb naysayers
curb is by far my favorite show, it's so fucking quotable and larry david at his worst is funnier than entire sitcoms. larry david is a true comic genius, he says and does the wrong things most of the time, and sometimes he actually has good intentions, he's just trying to be affable. the whole 5th season was as good as any other. the whole kidney ordeal and all the mishaps made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt. the whole ski lift and the orthodox jew girl ... "are you fucking nuts?", or him thinking his biological parents where christian... Curb is an excellent show, and the whole improvisation element to it helps it maintain that wackiness while not coming off forced.

Curb, Arrested Development, Office
are probably the shows that have made me go into
laughing fits. they have some similarities and many differences that makes each unique in its own creation of fantastic, quirky humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom