The Octagon Bar: Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics in the Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Jyllands-Posten published the Mohammed Cartoons and a number of Islamic countries threatened boycotts of Danish exports and made threats, in response to this a statement of support for free speech and expression (namely offending religious sensibilities of Muslims) was pretty much demanded.

I am in favour of everybody offending everybody, but not killing eachother over non-violent forms of expression.

And with that I want a drink, since this is a bar :wink:

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Well Jyllands-Posten published the Mohammed Cartoons and a number of Islamic countries threatened boycotts of Danish exports and made threats, in response to this a statement of support for free speech and expression (namely offending religious sensibilities of Muslims) was pretty much demanded.

Yeah, this part I know all too well... even though I was half around the world in Africa I still couldn't escape it - things got pretty "hot" i Nairobi and in the muslim dominated parts of Kenya at one point, but it all died down as suddenly as it begun there... :shrug:

A_Wanderer said:
I am in favour of everybody offending everybody, but not killing eachother over non-violent forms of expression.

This was the part i didn't get about your previous post - thanks for explaining! :)

A_Wanderer said:
And with that I want a drink, since this is a bar :wink:

What about a Danish beer? :wink:

**Slides a Carlsberg down the bardesk to A_W**

:sigh:

I just had a look at some of the old bars...

Looks like this is going to be the last bar... all the regular Octagoners are not coming anymore and someone started a competing bar! :madwife:

Well, lets :dance: and :lol: and close this place in style people! :yes:

**Puts Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix) on jukebox and jumps up on bardesk and dances around - just for old times sake ;)**

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Lemonboy said:

Stranger? :angel:

**humming Strangers in the night**

:sexywink:

Yes, stranger... :shifty:

**Slowdances with LB to "Strangers..."**

Is it just me or are these post very kinda like old-school Octagon... :shifty:

72... :shifty:

Merc said:

Yes, stranger... :shifty:

**Slowdances with LB to "Strangers..."**

Is it just me or are these post very kinda like old-school Octagon... :shifty:

72... :shifty:

mmmmmm old-school.....:drool:

**slowdances**

Do you wanna go into the backroom and look for that heartshaped tub? :angel:

71.......:macdevil:

Lemonboy said:
mmmmmm old-school.....:drool:

**slowdances**

Do you wanna go into the backroom and look for that heartshaped tub? :angel:

71.......:macdevil:

Maybe... :shifty:

70... :flirt:

*walks in*

*hears noises out back*

*grabs a 6-pack, turns up the volume on the jukebox and puts on the headphones* ;)

:D Thanks. I like it, too.

It's absolutely pouring rain today here, and I have to work from 8:00 pm to 4:00 am to close down a store downtown that I've never worked at before. Looks to be a great day. :crack:

U2democrat said:
62!

*Goes behind the bar, gets a cold can of Dr. Pepper*

Anything for you?

:hmm:

Black velvet perhaps - we might as well close with a partyyy! :wink:

61, btw... :D

U2democrat said:
*fixes Merc a black velvet*

Here ya go!

I'm hungry...time for lunch.

Thanks! :up:

See you later - have a nice lunch! :wave:

:ohmy:

*wanders up to the bar and licks the dust off the bottle of Glenmorangie*

yay, free!

*glug*

ewen said:
:ohmy:

*wanders up to the bar and licks the dust off the bottle of Glenmorangie*

yay, free!

*glug*

:faint:

Ewen!!! :ohmy:

Long time, no see - how are you? :D

It's good to see you around here again! :hug:

Well, helloooo Merc. :wave:

I'm reading my Dummies guide to living in the free world

*glugs on more Glenmorangie*

how's life?

ewen said:
Well, helloooo Merc. :wave:

I'm reading my Dummies guide to living in the free world

*glugs on more Glenmorangie*

how's life?

Life's great! :up:

It's been a very good year so far - started with a short Bono-meeting in January (not the worst way to start the new year! :wink: ), then I went to Kenya for 3 months collecting data for my masters which I have to turn in on August 1st... and I got my drivers lisence yesterday! :D

So, I see you've moved to America!:cute: How are they treating you over there? Everybody just looove your Scottish accent? :giggle: At least you're not going to loose anymore socks in the North Sea now... :wink:

**Makes a cup of tes and sits down on couch, just like the old days**

Most people can't understand a word I say...they smile, nod and then run off...very far away, never to be seen again.

Fortunately I have not lost any socks yet...but probably because my feet are, these days, in flip-flops and so socks now are so 2005. I am at one with my flip-flops.

Great to hear that you're having a good year.

*glug*

ewen said:
Most people can't understand a word I say...they smile, nod and then run off...very far away, never to be seen again.

Wonder what would happen if I ever moved to the states... :hmm:

They might not understand your accent but at least you've got a normal English name :yes: - I was known as "daugther" for 3 months while I was in Kenya (and "Miss Denmark" for a week in Dublin)! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom