The Octagon Bar: Pitch your tents here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starsgoblue said:
Phil, quite the fat little fellow...

1ikgmo

Awwww...I want him for a pet!!!!

Tania, it is sort of a "turning point" in seasons supposedly; if the groundhog sees his shadow it means 6 more weeks of winter....if not, then supposedly spring is on the way.

(That's right, isn't it? And not vice versa)?

For those curious non North Americans....:p

Groundhog Day History
Groundhog Day, celebrated across the United States and Canada, on February 2, is purely a North American tradition. It is based on a belief that on this day (February 2) the groundhog, or woodchuck, comes out of hole after winter hibernation to look for its shadow. If the shadow is seen, it's a sunny day. And the groundhog foretells 'six more weeks of bad weather' and thus a lingering winter. But spring is coming if no shadow is seen because of clouds. The groundhog then behaves accordingly. It goes back into the hole if the weather turns bad, but stays above ground if spring is near.

Thus weather prediction or prognostication came as an integral feature of Groundhog Day tradition. This prediction owes its origin to the European tradition of Candlemas. There is an old European supposition that a sunny Candlemas day would lead the winter to last for 'another six weeks'. Also celebrated on February 2, the was used to commemorate the Purification of the Virgin Mary. Candles for sacred uses were blessed on this day. Gradually the traditions at this Candlemas came to associate with them different folklores. The German added the belief of an animal, initially a hedgehog, being frightened by his shadow on Candlemas would foretell that winter would last another six weeks. This belief was brought in America during the 18th Century by the German settlers. These settlers adopted the groundhog as their weather predictor.

The Groundhog Day came into being in North America during the late 1800s. Thanks to the combined effort of Clymer H. Freas, a newspaper editor, and W. Smith, an American Congressman and newspaper publisher. They organized and popularized a yearly festival in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, the State was populated predominantly by German settlers. The festival featured a groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil which used to foretell how long the winter would last.

There used to be a turtle in my backyard in CA. Then we had to move away and I gave him to my friend so I could stay updated on his whereabouts. And she painted her phone number on his shell. But one day he disappeared and she never saw him again. :(

awww :hug: I've always had interesting animals in my backyards. When I lived in Nashville we had deer, possums, and a raccoon that would come and eat out of our hands. One time she came and showed off her babies!!! :cute: In kentucky our back and front yard were surrounded by a horsefarm (It was, afterall, Kentucky). There we had the groundhog, more possums and raccoons and turtles. Here isn't as interesting because it's more developed, but raccoons and possums get into our trash all the time. :huh: I've also seen the occasional turtle...and once a bald eagle! :ohmy:

lauren430 said:
There used to be a turtle in my backyard in CA. Then we had to move away and I gave him to my friend so I could stay updated on his whereabouts. And she painted her phone number on his shell. But one day he disappeared and she never saw him again. :(

:hug:

My friend's mom has a turtle that's been in her family since 1962. He's still there in the backyard, eating, sleeping and turtle pooping....

I'm amazed to be honest!

We have a raccoon in my backyard. He likes to eat our garbage and annoy the hell out of my stepdad.

My stepdad has tried every way he can think of to chase that raccoon away, including getting it with a hose, dumping water on it from the roof, and catching it, taking it out a kilometre into the woods and setting it loose again...it always manages to find its way back. :)

Wow, I knew turtles could live a long time, but that is REALLY a long time!!

I always wanted one of those tiny little turtles that are only about 2 inches in diameter....I thought they were so cute. But I never had one. :(

I've only got spiders and lizards in my backyard:lol: :lol:

Oh, and the odd bird....

And :censored: cockroaches.

A rat did come over the fence once, my daughter thought it was a kangaroo!:laugh:

Thanks for the info on GHD, very interesting! And how often is this rodent correct?

Tania said:
I've only got spiders and lizards in my backyard:lol: :lol:

Oh, and the odd bird....

And :censored: cockroaches.

A rat did come over the fence once, my daughter thought it was a kangaroo!:laugh:

Thanks for the info on GHD, very interesting! And how often is this rodent correct?

:lmao: your daughter is too cute!!

*Let's that thought wash over me*

But, Dave, think of the choice!

Punky comes out and goes :yes: or :no: or does he also get a maybe? :laugh:

Oh, and Angel, she ain't cute (well, she is). She's a little fairy with bloody hobnail boots on and you don't mess with her! She truly knows the meaning of the word "No!"

guys, I have to share!!!!!! the law school dean approved my study abroad programs today so I am mailing in the applications this week! I am so very excited. :drool:

So assuming the programs are not full, which they shouldn't be yet, I'll be in Argentina this summer and Japan next spring....:drool: :hyper: :hyper:

U2democrat said:
:lmao:

fiddler. :up:

in fact i had "If i were a rich man" in my head today...........:huh:

I've had the Gwen Stefani song that samples that line in my head all day...

"If I were a rich girl na na na na na na...then I'd have all the money in the world. If I were a wealthy girl..."

But *only* that part of the song!

lauren430 said:
guys, I have to share!!!!!! the law school dean approved my study abroad programs today so I am mailing in the applications this week! I am so very excited. :drool:

So assuming the programs are not full, which they shouldn't be yet, I'll be in Argentina this summer and Japan next spring....:drool: :hyper: :hyper:

Holy shite!!

Congratulations!! :D

well, it will be for sure when I get the acceptance letters, but it's not really competitive to get in, just as long as you go to an approved US law school and there is still space.....

but yeah, I will be damn excited when it is 100% for sure! I am already and it's just knowing that my school approves of it!!! :hyper: :hyper:

lauren430 said:
well, it will be for sure when I get the acceptance letters, but it's not really competitive to get in, just as long as you go to an approved US law school and there is still space.....

but yeah, I will be damn excited when it is 100% for sure! I am already and it's just knowing that my school approves of it!!! :hyper: :hyper:

...you're in law school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom