The Octagon Bar: Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Bar Tab In Philly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat said:
some of the guys in my german class make fun of bono (and even call him a jerk) but my german teacher and i always fiercely defend him. :up:

See...that always gets my goat. It makes me see red when people say he does all this humanitarian stuff to stroke his ego...it's completley ridiculous! I mean the man has voluntarily gone to places like Africa to dig wells with his own hands, visit people who are literally piling ontop of each other just waiting to die because there is no other option for them...Ugh it makes me so angry. I've seen that pic of him crying after seeing a video on AIDS orphans...that's not ego stroking in the least.

:angry:

I agree Laura. Everyone deserves grace, the right to begin again and be free of one's past.
You just can't take the benefits of globalization without taking the responsibilities...and what happens to people in countries like this is on everyone's shoulders, I just can't see how people turn blind eyes to things like that. :sad:

(climbs down off her soapbox, turns it over and hides) :reject:

Ignorance like that saddens me so much, but there seems to be so much of it around. The people who can't even pronounce his name right ('oh, that Bow-no Guy...') pass judgement so quickly. I'm not quite sure what more they expect from him :tsk:

Stars - I hear what you're sayin, I agree 100%
SO get out of that box! :)

(This kinda thing is why I :heart: this one uni course I'm taking that's *all* about development, globalization, poverty, etc etc etc)

EDIT:
(It also helped that all my profs in that course despise Bush.... :D )

Last edited:
~BrightestStar~ said:
Stars - I hear what you're sayin, I agree 100%
SO get out of that box! :)

(This kinda thing is why I :heart: this one uni course I'm taking that's *all* about development, globalization, poverty, etc etc etc)

Did ya hear the latest about the G7 meetings...just about all except US agreed on multilateral debt cancellation....:(

Well Laura, to me there is a lot of power in the people. Regardless of who is in power....there is a HUGE force behind people's voices. I'd like to argue that perhaps it is social movements that have had the biggest impacts on cultures and people....So that leaves the finger pointed at us in a way. Nobody is exempt.

~BrightestStar~ said:

BrightestStar, what uni course are you doing?

well i've gotta go now :D. gotta get dressed up and put a tad of makeup on. (i hate the stuff but i gotta look nice for the pols :wink: ) i'll report back with pics and a story of how the night went!!! :wave:

starsgoblue said:

Did ya hear the latest about the G7 meetings...just about all except US agreed on multilateral debt cancellation....:(

I've heard...and it makes me so ANGRY...
My profs also like to mention how the US haven't given their contribution to the UN in like a decade where as some countries (including Canada and Sweden if I remember correctly) have actully paid *ahead* by a few years, to keep the UN going

beau2ifulday said:

BrightestStar, what uni course are you doing?

It's a crazy course called "Inquiry" not available at a lot of places, and different courses have different focuses, the idea is to teach the students to "inquire" and "investigate", and stuff, I'm prob not explaining it well.
Mine happens to focus on Development, and I :heart: it!
(My profs come from Chile, Africa (can't remember specifics), and Lebanon ..which is pretty cool too)

~BrightestStar~ said:

I've heard...and it makes me so ANGRY...
My profs also like to mention how the US haven't given their contribution to the UN in like a decade where as some countries (including Canada and Sweden if I remember correctly) have actully paid *ahead* by a few years, to keep the UN going

It's good that the Finance Ministers are talking about it though...this has been the biggest push I think in several years. Hey Jax, check out www.makepovertyhistory.com if you haven't heard of it yet...ther is alot of special oppurtunites this year to really signifcantly reduce this issue.

(I'm on the damn soapbox again!) :censored:

starsgoblue said:

(I'm on the damn soapbox again!) :censored:

stay on the soapbox - it suits you :yes:
I guess it's a minor thing in the grander scheme of things, but I find it really encouraging about the number of celebrities who have stepped up to support the makepovertyhistory campaign - and not just celebrities like Bono, Chris Martin and Bob Geldof. To see a whole new wave lending their name to it, whether or not they support it with the conviction of the latter, it brilliant - they're reaching out to the younger generations now. I was never hugely aware of the issues surrounding Africa, but to see more twelve and thirteen year olds walking around with the white bands on, watching them gather around Nelson Mandela when he spoke in London this week is so brilliant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom