The Octagon Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've never been in FYM and i'm kinda scared to start now with this so seeing i kinda know lot i'm gonna let you have it instead...

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

i'm not American so your vote has nothing to do with me in theory, although i strongly believe, as improbable as it is, when the election of a president so greatly effects the rest of the world we should have some sort of say.
and now provisional results are coming through and Bush is apparently ready to reclaim the presidency but Kerry won't concede because of Ohio etc.

i CANNOT understand how the American public would vote Bush back in - are they blind to what the rest of the world sees? i have some very strong opinions on the guy which i i'm not going to share after hearing dodgy stories about FBI knocking on peoples doors after they made inflammatory comments on a forum like this.
but when i poll was done outside of America (i dont remember exact statistics and number of countries used but it was a lot) every single country polled bar one, Poland i believe, voted Kerry.

How can you have a President that's so loathed outside of your country and within - thers a lot of vocal support against him - and still get him re-elected?

Its a standing joke what a moron, this guy is but he STILL gets re-elected! how... HOW?????

i'm sorry, this has got me really wound up, i just dont get it..
:(

i suppose its best to wait for Ohio...?

edited to say: sorry if i've pissed off any Bush supporters in here, this is just my opinion remember...

Last edited:
Cry me a river; it doesn't matter what the intelligensia tell you, it doesn't matter what Michael Moore wants and it doesn't matter what the collective of Guardian readers believe because the US has excercised democracy - the will of the American people - and it looks like Bush will get in again, most of the world wants to see the US gone, giving a say to those that seek to destroy you is suicide.

As a foreigner who supports Bush for recognising the unique threat posed by radical Islam and executing a brilliant manouver in Iraq by opening up a second front from which to both kill terrorists and cure despotism with liberty (both of which you may debate in FYM, not here) I will shout you a drink.

/walks behind bar and pulls out vodka, pours two shot glasses and passes it over.

Mmmm smooth baby :wink:

Last edited:
i know i know
its the word of the people... thats what freaks me out the most i think!

thanks for the vodka - its calmed me down a bit. :)

and i by no means want to start a political debate in here, i was just venting. sorry
thats the last you'll hear of it from me!

hows about another drink?

**pours 2 more vodkas, this time flavoured...oooh**

Exellent :up:

I like watching people vent this, at daily Kos they are talking about armed uprising, level 1 moonbat alert :wink:

digsy said:
ok, while i'm here, you guys get to be my critics... art critics that is, no personal attacks please :lol:

painted these over the course of 4 nights last week and this is how they now sit on my wall - what do you think?
(honest opinions only please - dont say they're nice if you really think they're shit, thats no use to anyone!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/digsy_di/quadu2.jpg

Very cool!:) :hyper: They look more like screen prints than paintings :hmm:

If you're thinking of going into business or knocking these out as a hobby then you can put me down for a set ;) :up:

Alan

starsgoblue said:
Hey Digsy....I can't believe it's come down to one state, my state. :confused:

I swear if Bush wins (or steals) again I'm jumping in a canoe and paddling across the pond.

paddle away - we would be glad to have you here! then we could all argue about our prime minister istead :lol:
what do i care - i'm not even allowed to vote here because i'm not a british citizen yet. I am allowed to vote in south africa though which is useless because i dont live there anymore!

ah well - i'm just a political reject!

hey did anyone see the "vote for bono" campaign - it was brillinat!
now theres a worthwhile candidate!

starsgoblue said:
Hey Digsy....I can't believe it's come down to one state, my state. :confused:

I swear if Bush wins (or steals) again I'm jumping in a canoe and paddling across the pond.

stars - travel nursing is looking good right now:wink:

enajh2 said:

Very cool!:) :hyper: They look more like screen prints than paintings :hmm:

If you're thinking of going into business or knocking these out as a hobby then you can put me down for a set ;) :up:

Alan

hey thanks!

believe me when i say they defintiely look better from a distance than from close up - thats when the little slips of a paint brush become a bit more noticable!!
i'm pretty happy with them though, thanks for your comments, if i ever decide to paint more, i'll let you know!

starsgoblue said:

I just don't understand how it's come down to this....this is just ludicrous. :|

hey, the uk is ALWAYS looking for more nurses! you'd have no problem here :lol:

we can swap cause id rather live somewhere else too!
or we could all just go live in dublin and spend our lives in the real ocatagon bar

i loooooooooooooooooooooove dublin
if visas allowe it i'd live there tomorrow

starsgoblue said:
Is it hard to get the visas for Dublin?

dunno never tried? as a south african its just difficult to get a visa full stop. you need to have a shed load of money saved up and it takes a lot of time and fighting - they can say no for the silliest reasons. i wanted to get a holiday visa for america - got it eventualy but it took a lot of fighting. and thats just a visitors visa so i can have a holiday! trying to get a work visa for any other country is a nightmare!

on the other hand, i get my british citizenship at the end of this year so it would be a whole lot easier for me then. i might look into it for the future... i would love love love to live in ireland. but then again i'd also like to live in australia and canada and america and new zealand and... :lol you get the point!

starsgoblue said:
You don't want to live in America now, sweetpea. :tsk:

really?? not even on the west coast by the beaches or in california??? crikey!

well what then cause i'm bored of london, its too rainy and cold and big and miserable

Hello :wave:

Hi Tania, Digsy, Enajh, Starsgoblue!

>>> Pours self coffee and looks across the bar at the long faces <<<

Stars, I know you're disappointed but nothing has changed from yesterday, and America is still a great place to be. America is the same in 1984, 1994 and 2004. A president doesn't define us as a people, and you're still in charge of your own destiny. (Well, God then you :D)
Maybe I should just :reject: People will probably want to get :drunk:, but will probably not want to :dance: :sad:

starsforu2 said:
Stars, I know you're disappointed but nothing has changed from yesterday, and America is still a great place to be. America is the same in 1984, 1994 and 2004. A president doesn't define us as a people, and you're still in charge of your own destiny. (Well, God then you :D)

I'm truly scared the direction this country is going to go. And our economy and personal freedoms! I'm especially worried how it going to go with our foreign relations..... plus don't even get me started on how terrified I am for Africa.

I'm really heartbroken about this. :sad:

try coming from south africa stars - we've got a massive history to be ashamed of, a government thats so corrupt it would steal from itself, a president that stands on the sidelines as his neighbourign president corrupts and starves and kills his nation, and believes the AIDS policies of a man whothink humans inherit from aliens, the aids view being that hiv doesnt NOT cause Aids. this is the problem - if our rulers can't recognise the Aids crisis and themselves are uneducated about it, then how are we ever going to rectify it...

it's very very depressing sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom