The Nine - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I missed the second episode but caught it this week. So far I like it, but don't love it. I'm sort of into the characters, but I really don't care what happens to them yet. I'll give it a few more weeks.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:34 AM
I Tivo'ed it, and just watched it last night. Still interested, still liking it...

Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 PM
I haven't seen this show yet. So it's basically Lost except instead of a plane crash there's a bank robbery?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I haven't seen this show yet. So it's basically Lost except instead of a plane crash there's a bank robbery?
NO.

Lost is 1000x plot with little attempt at making you care about the characters. Furthermore, the plot that it relies on gets more and more unbelievable each week. What started as a decent show about how people survived after surviving a plane wreck on an island has turned into an uncompelling, unrealistic show about an island that happens to have a network of computers underground, various types of machinery that you'd expect to find in sci-fi novels, cults and cult leaders, and those mystical 'others'. And into the third year of this, the show still hasn't told me enough about the characters to make me care what happens to them in ANY plot.

In The Nine, so far, there seems to be a MUCH better balance between plot and character. In three episodes, I know more about the characters in this show than I do about the characters in Lost after 2 seasons and a few episodes. Thus making me care about the characters, thus making me care about the plot. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the plot is plausible here, where in Lost it is about as plausible as talking animals.

I realize I seem a bit hard on Lost here, but I just think it's stupid that a show that was supposed to be about the survivors of a plane wreck on an island - and that premise had/has a TON of potential with the psychological and physical effects of being cut off from society while living with the fear of not knowing if you're going to live or die, if you're ever going to get off the island or not, etc - has turned into what it is now.

The Tom Hanks movie 'Castaway' is a much better, much more realistic depicition of someone getting stranded on an island after a planewreck.

Pretaining to your statement - If 'Lost' centered around the lives of the characters AFTER being rescued and coming back to society, then you could make a comparison. As is, you cannot.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

and the plot thickens
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

I am just not getting into this show like I thought I would. I'll give it one more week, then I'm out.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't watched this week's episode yet. I've recorded it, though.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

just watched the episode from 11/1 tonite so I wouldn't be too far behind when I Tivo tomorrow. Too many shows taped to watch & catch up on...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's a bad sign that I watch Lost, but then record The Nine and catch it later when I can, unlike needing to see the recording immediately.

Part of the problem with this show is that the exciting premise of the bank robbery has been lost by showing a few minutes of it with each episode.

The robbery lasted what, something like 56 hours or so? I can't remember, but if it lasted that long, I'd like to see the format change where half the show was the robbery and the other half was afterwards. I think that would hold my interest much more, because that's what everyone wants to know, after all - what the hell happened in there?

They'd better change how they are doing it, because I hear the ratings are slipping from people getting disinterested...
Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd prefer to Tivo everything in order to miss the commercials. Was especially effective during the election/campaigning
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

NO.

Lost is 1000x plot with little attempt at making you care about the characters. Furthermore, the plot that it relies on gets more and more unbelievable each week. What started as a decent show about how people survived after surviving a plane wreck on an island has turned into an uncompelling, unrealistic show about an island that happens to have a network of computers underground, various types of machinery that you'd expect to find in sci-fi novels, cults and cult leaders, and those mystical 'others'. And into the third year of this, the show still hasn't told me enough about the characters to make me care what happens to them in ANY plot.
THANK YOU!!! I have been thinking the SAME thing...Lost started out great and is now so far out in left field I have no idea what it is about!!