The Nick Drake thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
I don't think there has been a thread about Nick Drake here, so this is it.

What do you guys think of the music Nick wrote during his short time as a recording artist? Favourite songs, albums, etc. I don't have all of his work - only Pink Moon and Bryter Layter, still have to get Five Leaves Left - but I really enjoy what I've heard from him. I like Pink Moon a lot more than Bryter Layter (which suffers a little from that overly "70s sound" I think.) It's really beautiful stuff, and no-one could accuse him of over-production on it. I also feel that his lyrics are quite fantastic on that album in particular. Things Behind The Sun, Parasite, From The Morning, and Road are rather brilliant.

I think it's a shame that he never received the kind of appreciation that he should have received while he was still alive.

:heart:

There is/was a student at the university where I work named Nick Drake. He wasn't as excited about his name as I was, though. :mad:

GibsonGirl said:
I think it's a shame that he never received the kind of appreciation that he should have received while he was still alive.

There is a certain allure to dead artists and musicians. There's no certainty that anyone would be listening to his music today had he not died. Sad, but true.

I enjoy his music quite a bit. There's a certain timeless melancholy to his work.

Melon

All I have is 'Way To Blue: An Introduction To Nick Drake' but he really is something else. I love the simplicity to the music, and it just conveys a specific feeling that a lot of other artists try (and fail) to capture.

One of my first exposures to Nick Drake was Wes Anderson's use of "Fly" in the Royal Tenenbaums for the scene when Richie leaves the hospital. Having an artist's song in my favorite movie of all time is a good way to get my attention and get me more into his music.

inmyplace13 said:
All I have is 'Way To Blue: An Introduction To Nick Drake' but he really is something else. I love the simplicity to the music, and it just conveys a specific feeling that a lot of other artists try (and fail) to capture.

One of my first exposures to Nick Drake was Wes Anderson's use of "Fly" in the Royal Tenenbaums for the scene when Richie leaves the hospital. Having an artist's song in my favorite movie of all time is a good way to get my attention and get me more into his music.

That movie is in my top ten. I Love it so much. I remember seeing for the first time and being blown away, which NEVER happens when I see movies.

Nice to see some fans around here. :up: And you're right, melon, regarding the allure. I still think it's a shame, though.

imp13, you should try to get your hands on Pink Moon. Way To Blue is missing Road, Horn, and Parasite, which I feel are some of his most beautiful songs. And throughout that whole album, Nick really managed to create the illusion that there was far more going on in the music, when it was mainly just him and his guitar. It's kind of hard to believe it just is vocals and guitar.

GibsonGirl said:
Nice to see some fans around here. :up: And you're right, melon, regarding the allure. I still think it's a shame, though.

imp13, you should try to get your hands on Pink Moon. Way To Blue is missing Road, Horn, and Parasite, which I feel are some of his most beautiful songs. And throughout that whole album, Nick really managed to create the illusion that there was far more going on in the music, when it was mainly just him and his guitar. It's kind of hard to believe it just is vocals and guitar.

Pink Moon was my first exposure to Nick:drool:

GibsonGirl said:

I can find some links for it easily, and I will later today on your recommendation. Right now all my traffic and rapidsharre allotment is going towards the damn Arcadium Stadium Uranium Deposits.

But I will grab Pink Moon later and give it a listen. VW commercial :drool:

His music is some of the most haunting, thought provoking i have ever heard...
you can feel his emotions and see london of that era through his songs...

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I haven't really had the chance to explore him fully, but what I've heard I've loved. :up:

Would Pink Moon be a good starting point?

Oh yes, or Bryter Later, five leaves left...
I am rather partial to Nick so I think they are all worth getting...
But... If you can only get one, start with Pink Moon

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I haven't really had the chance to explore him fully, but what I've heard I've loved. :up:

Would Pink Moon be a good starting point?

Pink Moon would definitely be a good starting point. :up: The only truly weak track on that album, in my opinion, is the title track.

I heard his song on Garden State (one of my top 2 favorite movies) and listened to a couple of other songs after that.

I fell in love with "Place to Be" this week... it's such a beautiful song!!!!!!! :sad:

chiso said:

I fell in love with "Place to Be" this week... it's such a beautiful song!!!!!!! :sad:

:sad:

I know. Sad, but beautiful. I actually can't listen to Pink Moon for extended periods of time because it ends up depressing me a little.

Back
Top Bottom