The NFL Will do ANYTHING for Ratings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
When you look at today's games... Panthers-Rams, Titans-Patriots... Titans-Patriots would probably be the bigger ratings grabber, meaning more money for the NFL.

The Rams play in a dome... the Pats play outdoors... the game time temperature for tonight's pats game is expected to be around 0... with wind chills of 15 below or more. Now I know it's not exactly gonna be balmy out in New England at 4 or 1... but it'll be a good 8-10 degrees warmer, plus the sun will be out. And obviously, even if it's the exact same temperature, you'd rather have it 0 degrees and sunny than 0 degrees at night.

The NFL could've easily had the Pats game at 4... or even at 1... and the Rams game, the indoor game, at night.

I agree! It's going to be so cold the players, or the fans in the stands, might be in danger. I know the cold game is classic, and they probably are thinking it will be more exciting and draw more ratings, but at night it's TOO cold. I don't really like to see games that are so cold the team can't function the way it normally does- hands too frozen to grip the ball, feet slipping on the ice, more fumbles, less traction. This hurts both sides, not just the away team.

its not even getting above 13 degrees in Connecticut where I am today.

the Wind chill for the DAY time here is in the negatives.

Youre just mad cause it helps the Pats and therefore you lose on the playoff predictions :wink:

but i do see your point.

its football, it isnt baseball where if a few drops of rain fall they delay the game

thats part of the greatness of the game, you play through the elements, should be a great game

yea tell that to the guys who played in the "ice bowl" who had to get their toes amputated that it was all for the greatness of the game... and that game was played in sunlight... this game will end after midnight.

and nah... i'm not worried about it because i picked the titans :wink: if it were 20-30 degrees, then there's an advantage for the team that's used to the cold weather... 0 degrees and below? neither team can play effectively in that...

i understand that football plays in all conditions, and i by no means would want them to cancel the game because of the cold... but they could have scheduled it earlier in the day... but instead they put the players and fans in an emergency situation just for higher ratings.

Headache, did players in the "Icebowl" really have to have their toes amputated? Where did you hear this? That's awful!

BTW, the Panthers/Rams game could not have been more exciting. A long run for a touchdown to end a game in OT...it doesn't get better than that!

Boo-hoo. It's -35 here. And they're running around on a field, sitting on heated benches, with space heaters.

I played an outdoor hockey game today in -35 degree temps with no heaters. They'll live.

Diane L said:
Headache, did players in the "Icebowl" really have to have their toes amputated? Where did you hear this? That's awful!

BTW, the Panthers/Rams game could not have been more exciting. A long run for a touchdown to end a game in OT...it doesn't get better than that!

Yes that game was what the playoffs are all about. It must have been good for Steve Smith to get that long pass for the touchdown in overtime since a Ram had poked out his eyes earlier in the game. There was a personal foul and he left the game but returned later with a plastic shield on his helmet over his eyes. I tell you the Ram reached over and poked his fingers in his eyes on purpose, that's how it looked. I hope it was the guy he beat on the pass.

Seabird said:

Yes that game was what the playoffs are all about. It must have been good for Steve Smith to get that long pass for the touchdown in overtime since a Ram had poked out his eyes earlier in the game. There was a personal foul and he left the game but returned later with a plastic shield on his helmet over his eyes. I tell you the Ram reached over and poked his fingers in his eyes on purpose, that's how it looked. I hope it was the guy he beat on the pass.

:barf:

it was obviously an accident, you look at the qb while you put your hands up to stop the guy, no way was it intentional

as a long time Giant fan i can honestly say... HAHAHAHAHA Jason Seahorn blows... me and my best friend, who's 24th birthday it was saturday... both said, and i quote, "jason seahorn will blow the coverage on the last play of the game. and low and behold... seahorn did just that. i'm sure angie harmon stlll loves him.

that being said... great game by the titans... almost pulled it out. i may have been 0 for 2 today... but both games came down to the last second, so i'm still confident

i hate that jackass

2 freaking touchdowns were his fault, he took the wrong angle on a 70 yard run by davis too

its enough to make me puke

who's the most over-rated player in the nfl?

sehorn.jpg

that's right baby

Back to the original topic, Headache, you of all people should know that thie Sat night game was predetermined to be an AFC game (They alternate , last yr was Falcons-Eagles, year before was Raiders-Pats), so the only 2 options were games in Foxboro or KC. They made the decison to have the Pats game be the Saturday game somehwre around last Thursday, before the long range forecasts for the 2 cities would be accurate, and certainly KC has the potential to be cold as well. The decision to show the Pats over Chefs was clearly ratings driven, Boston a much bigger TV market than KC, but the Rams game could never have been in that slot.

Seabird said:
I've been watching football on TV all my life (which is a long time, believe me) and I have never seen a playoff game scheduled to start that late at night.
Have you lived less than a week?? :wink:
Because last Saturday night the Dallas-Carolina game started at exactly the same time.
These 8:15 Saturday night playoff games have been happening for the past 3 yrs now, just like moving the times of the Championship games from the traditional 12:30 and 4:00 times to now 3:00 and 6:45 its all about getting as much playoff football in primetime as po$$ible.

Back
Top Bottom