The NFL Will do ANYTHING for Ratings - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:08 PM
The NFL Will do ANYTHING for Ratings

When you look at today's games... Panthers-Rams, Titans-Patriots... Titans-Patriots would probably be the bigger ratings grabber, meaning more money for the NFL.

The Rams play in a dome... the Pats play outdoors... the game time temperature for tonight's pats game is expected to be around 0... with wind chills of 15 below or more. Now I know it's not exactly gonna be balmy out in New England at 4 or 1... but it'll be a good 8-10 degrees warmer, plus the sun will be out. And obviously, even if it's the exact same temperature, you'd rather have it 0 degrees and sunny than 0 degrees at night.

The NFL could've easily had the Pats game at 4... or even at 1... and the Rams game, the indoor game, at night.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I agree! It's going to be so cold the players, or the fans in the stands, might be in danger. I know the cold game is classic, and they probably are thinking it will be more exciting and draw more ratings, but at night it's TOO cold. I don't really like to see games that are so cold the team can't function the way it normally does- hands too frozen to grip the ball, feet slipping on the ice, more fumbles, less traction. This hurts both sides, not just the away team.

Old 01-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

its not even getting above 13 degrees in Connecticut where I am today.

the Wind chill for the DAY time here is in the negatives.

Youre just mad cause it helps the Pats and therefore you lose on the playoff predictions

but i do see your point.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

its football, it isnt baseball where if a few drops of rain fall they delay the game

thats part of the greatness of the game, you play through the elements, should be a great game
Old 01-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

yea tell that to the guys who played in the "ice bowl" who had to get their toes amputated that it was all for the greatness of the game... and that game was played in sunlight... this game will end after midnight.

and nah... i'm not worried about it because i picked the titans if it were 20-30 degrees, then there's an advantage for the team that's used to the cold weather... 0 degrees and below? neither team can play effectively in that...

i understand that football plays in all conditions, and i by no means would want them to cancel the game because of the cold... but they could have scheduled it earlier in the day... but instead they put the players and fans in an emergency situation just for higher ratings.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
I've been watching football on TV all my life (which is a long time, believe me) and I have never seen a playoff game scheduled to start that late at night.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Headache, did players in the "Icebowl" really have to have their toes amputated? Where did you hear this? That's awful!

BTW, the Panthers/Rams game could not have been more exciting. A long run for a touchdown to end a game in OT...it doesn't get better than that!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Mr. LoveSlave says the field has heated coils underneath it, heated benches, special ointment to keep skin warm, the high-tech underwear...
Old 01-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Damn, I wish I was there....

Not.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Boo-hoo. It's -35 here. And they're running around on a field, sitting on heated benches, with space heaters.

I played an outdoor hockey game today in -35 degree temps with no heaters. They'll live.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Did you walk 50 miles to the game, barefoot?

That's the true test of Canadian manhood.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Did you know a metrestick is longer than a yardstick?

Something to ponder, and envy...

Old 01-11-2004, 12:20 AM   #13
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
Headache, did players in the "Icebowl" really have to have their toes amputated? Where did you hear this? That's awful!

BTW, the Panthers/Rams game could not have been more exciting. A long run for a touchdown to end a game in OT...it doesn't get better than that!
Yes that game was what the playoffs are all about. It must have been good for Steve Smith to get that long pass for the touchdown in overtime since a Ram had poked out his eyes earlier in the game. There was a personal foul and he left the game but returned later with a plastic shield on his helmet over his eyes. I tell you the Ram reached over and poked his fingers in his eyes on purpose, that's how it looked. I hope it was the guy he beat on the pass.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:22 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard
Did you know a metrestick is longer than a yardstick?

Something to ponder, and envy...

You certainly wear the pants around here, Mr. Wizard!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird

Yes that game was what the playoffs are all about. It must have been good for Steve Smith to get that long pass for the touchdown in overtime since a Ram had poked out his eyes earlier in the game. There was a personal foul and he left the game but returned later with a plastic shield on his helmet over his eyes. I tell you the Ram reached over and poked his fingers in his eyes on purpose, that's how it looked. I hope it was the guy he beat on the pass.

it was obviously an accident, you look at the qb while you put your hands up to stop the guy, no way was it intentional