The NFL Thread Part IV: Super Bowl Edition. - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
In regards to the two "blown calls":

The pass interference/TD:
If you don't think that was a PI then you're either blind or don't watch football. The corner's feet moved back half a yard after the receiver shoved him, his progress was clearly impeded.

The Roethlisburger run:
Clearly a touchdown. Roethlisburger's arm was 4 inches past the front plane of the goal line before he got hit, and unless his hands are unnaturally fat, that ball crossed the plane.

People who say otherwise are either sore loser Seabags fans or are completely ignorant about the game of football.
Were we watching the same game?

On the pass interference, the receiver made his cut and turned, and then when he realized his QB was in trouble, he broke in the other direction. His hand grazed the corner, but that's all. Impeded? Yeah, right. We see that play a gazillion times over the course of a season, and it's never called. That was absolutely terrible.

And Roethlisburger did NOT get that ball over the goal line. No way.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #227
Blue Crack Distributor

comments between advils...

--the entertainment on the television began and ended with the pregame introductions of the past super bowl MVPs... the only two living MVPs not in attendance was terry bradshaw, who was in detroit but said he wanted to spend the time with his family... strange... and joe montana, also in detroit, but didn't show up because, according to newsday and espn radio, the NFL wouldn't pay him $100,000 in appearance money. if this is true, the myth of Joe has taken a big hit in my mind.

--two reunions i was hoping for based on the pre-game ceremony... phil simms and steve young, and of course, joe namath and suzie kolber... unfortunatly, as far as we know, neither happened.

--the national anthem was terrible, but i won't tell aaron neville that because he could snap me in half with one hand.

--i don't know why they picked tom brady to flip the coin with all of those legends on the field... i would have went with bart starr myself, but eh... whatever. apparently, again according to bob glauber from newsday, that joe was supposed to flip the coin, but they used tom as a replacement when joe bailed.

--i'm trying to figure out if the seahawks hired herm edwards as a special consultant... talk about horrific play calling and clock management. the end of the first half and end of the game were very herm-esque.

--let's get it out of the way right now... the refereing was TERRIBLE, as it has been throughout the entire playoffs. i'm throwing the rothelisberger touchdown run out, because that was too close to call. i personally don't think he was in, but it was so close that it's really not that big a deal. the offensive pass interference call? more contact is made on your average ten yard route by plaxico burress than was made on that play. the only time you could actually see the OPI was when they showed it in slow motion. was it pass interference? yes, if you want to be technical, he made contact with the defender... but it's something that happens on almost every single play and is normaly over-looked. so the refs were bad... which is par for the course.

--that said, the seahawks had tons of opportunities to win this game despite the refs. TONS. obvious penalties on kick returns, blow field goals, horrific clock management at the end of both halfs, dropped passes, not enough touches for the fucking NFL MVP, a terrible interception by hasselback as seattle was driving to take the lead, blown coverage on a 3rd and 20+ play, and blown coverage on the reverse wide-out option (the backup safety was in because of injury, and he bit like a mofo on that reverse), how many fucking times does the punter have to kick the ball into the endzone? is jeff feagles the only guy in the league who can directional punt anymore? jeez...

refs make bad calls... it's part of the game. winners suck it up and over-come the adversity of it all, losers bitch and moan about it. thus explains the colts. whiney little bitches... starting with marvin harrison, ending with peyton manning. the steelers had every call... EVERY call go against them in that colt game. some of the worst calls ever made, but they still managed to make the plays when it mattered most. the colts didn't, the seahawks didn't.

--as good as the salary cap has been for the NFL, part of me still yearns for the days of the true dynasty. the parity of today's NFL makes what the pats have done even more amazing, but it's more of a testiment to their coaching staff and their front office than it is to their players. brady is great and all, but after him, they're not exactly superstars. the 49ers they are not. the only team out there that really has great talent on one side of the ball are the colts... but since they're a bunch of bitches, they can't win even when it's handed to them on a silver platter.

back to the point, if there is one... neither of these teams, pittsburgh or seattle, are great teams. they're good teams, not great. i don't know if we'll ever see team loaded with great talent again like we did in the 80s and early 90s. i sorta miss that.

--down 11 in the super bowl, with 6 minutes to go, why the hell is seattle taking their fucking time in the huddle? it was like philly last year all over again. and then they don't go for the field goal with 30+ seconds to go... you HAVE to kick the field goal there... it's the only way you have a chance to win is to kick the fieldgoal and try for the onsides kick. herm-esque at it's best.

--the sound for the stones sucked. keith didn't seem into it... mick was good, but something with the guitars sounded off... perhaps they weren't tuned properly. and i haven't checked the rest of the forum yet, but i'm willing to guess there's a bunch of silly u2 fans who are bitching about the stones ripping off the ellipse, completely ignoring the fact that the stages were designed by the same guy, and/or the fact that u2's ripped off the stones a bunch of times coughcoughcoughflatbedtruckthroughmanhattancoughcough.

--the crime deterent cell phone commercial was spectacular. i liked the monkeys and the jackasses, and some of the beer commercials... other than that, the commercials kinda blew. the diet pepsi commercials were terrible. not that i ever drink diet pepsi anyway, but now i won't even buy one for someone else just based on the shityness of the whole brown and bubly bullshit. oh, and the bud lite commercial where the guy tackles the shit out of the chick... that was awesome.

--i thought john madden did a very good job, which i never think... but i thought al michales sucked and i won't be sorry to see him go now that abc's lost football.

--good for the bus.

--mike holmgren did shake bill cowher's hand off camera... there were too many people between them and holmgren couldn't get to cowher on the field in view of the cameras, but he did make a point to go to pittsburgh's locker room to find cowher after the game. so we can stop bitching about that.

--i'm glad that i didn't have to pay to go out, 'cause that game sucked. free beer is splendid.

--and finally, the only thing that really matters... i had steelers 1, seahawks 0. yahtzee.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ben Roethlisberger's first INT set up Seattle's first TD. On the return, Roethlisberger was ahead of the DB and was in decent position to make the tackle, but clearly got shoved in the back. That would have put Seattle back at midfield instead of the Pittsburgh 20, had it been called.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
comments between advils...

How ya feelin' this morning?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

How ya feelin' this morning?

swell
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Ben Roethlisberger's first INT set up Seattle's first TD. On the return, Roethlisberger was ahead of the DB and was in decent position to make the tackle, but clearly got shoved in the back. That would have put Seattle back at midfield instead of the Pittsburgh 20, had it been called.
Actully that was Ben's 2nd INT.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #232
War Child

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cjboog
anyone know where I can find a clip of U2's half time performance?
here's the clip compliments of a springsteen post..

http://s62. .com/d.aspx?id=3KWUUVFM61IGL3RUS6OZI6VYOT
Old 02-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #233
Refugee

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Let me first say that I don't give a crap about either team, had no money wagered, and if anything, pulled for Pittsburgh because I'm from Detroit.

That was the worst officiating for a championship game I've ever seen. And the calls were embarrasingly in favor of Pittsburgh.

I don't think there's a conspiracy. I don't think anyone was paid off. But the truth is Seattle got hosed, and it's a shame. Seattle definately screwed up their opportunities, but correct officiating would have made for an entirely different game.

I'm just looking forward to the day when my team gets screwed by these idiots.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

well, I can't contribute anything that hasn't been said already, soI'll just add this:

I thought the Fabio commerical was awesome !!!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #235
War Child

Local Time: 02:45 AM
a few comments on the 'BIG GAME'

The entertainment was a joke, why do people have to butcher our National anthem??? I'm tired of all these stars ruining it. the best anthem singer was the one who used to do it at the Blackhawk games. Also the stones should find someone who can sing...& maybe write some new songs too.

nice flip by brady, what'd the coin turn over twice??

Seahawks made tons of mistakes: missed FG's, lousy punter, couldn't pin the steelers down deep in the first half, could have led to some good field postion for scoring opport. terrible clock mngmt both halfs, 3 & 30 & you let them complete a bomb? offen pass inter in the end zone which it was!
now there were the 2 plays.. hasselbacks cut block, & the holding penalty which were suspect but if you don't throw the pick well that get rid of one of those.

Steelers Ben either had a bad hand or something but he sure didn't throw like he did the rest of the playoffs. That pretty much turned them into a running team which made for a boring game. Even the passes he completed looked like wounded ducks.
Kudos to the Bus, was hoping he would at least score on for the road.

most of the commercial I saw sucked, the ones I watched couple of the beer ones were good. the pepsi one BLEW!!

The refs pretty much sucked, which is normal I think they should do something to get these part timers off the field.

announcers were okay, I heard michaels wants out of his contract so he can go to NBC with Madden.

Overall the game didn't seem to have a flow to it except for the third qtr. but Pitts won so I'm happy with that.

PS I had $500 on Pitt (-3) so that makes me real happy
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Al Michaels was off all night. I was very surprised - usually he's got it together, but he mumbled his way through some plays and really seemed to be out of sync.

Madden was his usual jovial self, for better or worse.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, one more thing:

Anyone REALLY look at Arron Neville's mole on HDTV?

It's a crazy experience
Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for reminding me of something.

For those who watched this in HDTV, there was a glitch for what seemed like eternity where we couldn't hear the announcers, but everything else, like Hasselbeck barking orders at the line of scrimmage.

And it was only on the HDTV broadcast, because at one point I switched over to regular TV, and Al and John were blabbering away.

It was quite refreshing, those five minutes...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:45 PM
The Super Bowl was underwhelming as per usual.

A few thoughts.

Pre-game: Too freaking long. Stevie Wonder, good, however, as will be a recurring theme, the sound was horrid.

Banner: Just pick one artist! Also, the sound sucked and actually made Aretha sound not amazing.

Game: Dominated by the defenses early and often which was not surprising. Officiating sucked as it has throughout the playoffs. As for the Super Bowl, I really think instead of "All-Star" crews, they should pick one crew.

That offensive PI call was a bit ticky-tack. The way that DB was arguing, I expected the replay to show he was pushed to the ground or something. Needless to say, that is not what the replay showed.

The TD was too close for me to call, and the replay was right on, no incontrivertible evidence to overturn.

The holding call against Seattle was pretty bad, heck even Madden said so and that's shocking.
I do not believe there was a conspiracy, I mean this isn't the NBA or something

That stretch in the 3rd quarter was great though, great momentum shifts.

Halftime: I was underwhelmed. I'm not a huge Stones fan, but again they were undone by the horrid sound. I was watching this game in HiDef with Dolby. But the sound for the show didn't even sound like stereo. I was impressed by how much energy Mick Jagger had, not bad for a dude of that age.

Commercials: Ever since the dot com bust, the commercials have underwhelmed. I actually liked most of the budweiser commercials. I like the FedEx commercial, the Career Builder commercials and the Mastercard MacGuyver commercial. The burger king one was horrid and the car commercials were boring.
However, my personal fave (completely biased) was the Desperate Housewives spot with Matt Leinart :heehee: I was amused he was in more spots than Tom Brady and he isn't even in the NFL yet.

Overall, typical Superbowl, not played by a team I really like, meh.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #240
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
and i haven't checked the rest of the forum yet, but i'm willing to guess there's a bunch of silly u2 fans who are bitching about the stones ripping off the ellipse, completely ignoring the fact that the stages were designed by the same guy, and/or the fact that u2's ripped off the stones a bunch of times coughcoughcoughflatbedtruckthroughmanhattancoughcough.
eh hem...

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
The Rolling Stones(who, btw, have blatently ripped off of U2's stage design heart/elipse/whatever ideas)
Quote:
Originally posted by MTEdge

I am. The Stones, BTW, were very good although the rip-offs from U2's live shows (the ellipse/ tongue set-up, the Milky Way lights, etc.) were in abundance.

apparently u2 have now invented the lighter in the air.