The NFL Coaching Carousel Continues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this mean Joe Gibbs will be sleeping in his office again?
Hard to believe he's your top choice considering how long he's been away from the game.
Coughlin is a good coach, but his style doesn't sit well with some of today's millionaire players. I think Shockey and Coughlin will get along fine, as much of a loose cannon as Shockey may be, he's not afraid to bust his ass, which is what Coughlin will demand. Some other players may not be so inclined and will be on the next train out of gotham (OK, next bus out of the swamplands).

ESPN.com news services
ASHBURN, Va. -- In a stunning move, Joe Gibbs will return as coach of the Washington Redskins, a team he led to three Super Bowl titles.

Gibbs will sign a five-year contract worth $28.5 million, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports, making him the NFL's highest-paid coach. He also will have the title of president, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"The desire to coach has always been with me, even after being away from the game for 11 years," Gibbs said in an announcement on the Joe Gibbs Racing Web site.

"The Redskins are very dear to me and my family. We're very excited about this opportunity to return to where we have so many friends and loyalties."

Vinny Cerrato will remain as vice president of football operations, but Gibbs will have final say of which players make his roster. However, draft choices, trades and signings will be decided in a three-person consensus format among Gibbs, Cerrato and owner Daniel Snyder, sources told Mortensen.

Spurrier quit last week with three years left on his contract after two losing seasons. Under Spurrier, the Redskins went 7-9, then 5-11.

"Joe Gibbs helped define what the Washington Redskins stand for -- integrity, hard work, determination, winning and championships," Snyder said. "Who better to set our strategy and lead the Redskins back to championship glory?"

Gibbs will be introduced at a news conference Thursday, but he already has his first two hires in place. Former Buffalo Bills coach Gregg Williams will be defensive coordinator, and Joe Bugel -- offensive line coach during much of Gibbs' first stint in Washington -- will return to that post.

The Redskins made the playoffs during eight of Gibbs' 12 seasons, and his .683 winning percentage ranks third in NFL history. His record was 124-60 in the regular season and 16-5 in the playoffs, including Super Bowl victories after the 1982, 1987 and 1991 seasons -- each with a different quarterback.

Since Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, the Redskins' five coaches went a combined 74-101-1.

Burned out from long days and nights in the NFL -- he was known as a workaholic who sometimes slept on a cot at Redskins Park -- Gibbs left football and has been running a successful NASCAR racing team.

He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996 and over the years has said he didn't want to return to coaching, although he has retained NFL connections. He was involved with a group that attempted to purchase the Redskins after owner Jack Kent Cooke's death in the late 1990s, and he and two partners bought a combined 5 percent of the Atlanta Falcons for $27 million in 2002.

The Redskins have budgeted $5 million a year for a coach, the amount they were paying Spurrier. Gibbs has to give up his ownership stake in the Falcons to take the Redskins' job.

The mere mention of Gibbs' name brings instant credibility among the players, who had become disenchanted with the losing atmosphere. Even though most have never met Gibbs, his legacy left a long shadow.

"You can just walk through this building and look at those Super Bowl trophies, and that will tell you enough about him -- even if you were too young to watch the guy coach," tackle Chris Samuels said.

The Redskins have made the playoffs only once since Gibbs retired, suffering through a decade of losing despite aggressive ownership moves.

Snyder has become the master of the big offseason splash since buying the team in 1999, signing star players such as Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith and coaches Marty Schottenheimer and Spurrier.

None of it translated to success on the field, however. The Redskins have had four consecutive nonwinning seasons.

Gibbs, 63, will find today's NFL different from the one in which he coached. He led the Redskins during the last years before free agency and kept together a corps of talented players for the better part of 10 years. Such continuity rarely exists now in an era in which players switch teams regularly.

The Redskins interviewed at least three other candidates: former Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Vikings coach Dennis Green, and Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Gibbs' racing teams have been among the most successful in NASCAR, with two Winston Cup championships in the last four seasons. Bobby Labonte won the title in 2000, Tony Stewart in 2002.

Gibbs' oldest son, J.D., is president of Joe Gibbs Racing. The former coach's youngest son, Coy, finished 14th last season in the Busch Series standings.

The racing team will continue under the same management. J.D. Gibbs will remain team president, and all of the drivers and key sponsors have long-term deals.

"He called a big meeting at the airport last night," Stewart said. "He said, 'Can you meet us at the airport? We've got something we got to talk about.' I think it is a great thing for him. He has always been involved in football. Even when he hasn't been coaching, he's kept a close eye on football."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Joe Gibbs has the third highest winning percentage in NFL history. He has won 3 Super Bowls with three different Quarterbacks. He is perhaps the greatest Coach in NFL football history.

Joe Gibbs knows how to win, regardless of the time period, or the game being played.

I'm surprised he took the job though, as he was very confident years ago that he did not want to coach again. This is indeed the best thing that could happen to the Redskins. Joe Bugal is going to be offensive line coach again as well! Can you say HOGS!

Da Berrs seem like they're either gonna make a big run at Sabian or just get my main man Romeo Crennel once the Pats lose... but hell, after seeing the Redskins dust the mothballs off of Joe Gibbs who knows... Chicago might wanna go in another direction...

mike_ditka_stats.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
The return of Joe Gibbs is amazing,and like a dream come true for us frustrated Skins fans. Unfortunately, it's too late. If they were going to bring him back they should have done it back in the Norv Turner days when they had all those mercenary free agents taking one good shot at the Super Bowl. I fear they no longer have the money or the talent to challenge, and Gibbs' glorious record will only go out tarnished with failure:(

Leeloo said:
The return of Joe Gibbs is amazing,and like a dream come true for us frustrated Skins fans. Unfortunately, it's too late. If they were going to bring him back they should have done it back in the Norv Turner days when they had all those mercenary free agents taking one good shot at the Super Bowl. I fear they no longer have the money or the talent to challenge, and Gibbs' glorious record will only go out tarnished with failure:(

they have plenty of money and i do not think his record will be tarnished. he will win.

*edit - you were probably talking about the cap

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i give it a week till jessie jackson is protesting.
Dennis Green getting the Cardinal gig might keep him quiet, then again maybe not..."Indubitably the preponderance of a lack of afromericans in the fraternal brotherhood of coaching where the indeterminable majoritarium of players are of the African persuasion is reproachably beyond condemnation in the eyes of the universal public of football fanatical responsible individual people in these here democratical United States."

Hewson said:
Dennis Green getting the Cardinal gig might keep him quiet, then again maybe not..."Indubitably the preponderance of a lack of afromericans in the fraternal brotherhood of coaching where the indeterminable majoritarium of players are of the African persuasion is reproachably beyond condemnation in the eyes of the universal public of football fanatical responsible individual people in these here democratical United States."

:lmao:

Yeah I was talking about the cap. It is a shame he wasn't here when they had better players. Now even Bruce Smith is gone and the QB position is shaky. I hope they win, but I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom