the new us passport is a serious eyesore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
So I just got my new US passport, because my old one would have expired too soon after my next trip abroad. Let me tell you, this is the ugliest little thing I've ever seen...instead of the pretty little state seals they have these tacky pictures of buffolo and totem poles and mt rushmore. And what's up with the picture of space on the back? Plus some nice paperpusher at the passport agency clipped my 2"x2" photo so that my head is off center - thanks guys!

Not to mention that the RFID chip is completely insecure...woohooo! Apparently microwaving it leaves scorch marks...anyone have a giant magnet?

I'd be curious to see it.
I work in an immigration law firm but I normally only see other countries passports.

Unico's link shows some of the hideousness, particularly the moon. The sad part is the picture quality in the passport is about the same as the horrendous images online. I can't wait to get some visas - think I can request which page they put them on? "Dear Ghana, please put your giant sticker over the eagle. Thanks! If that doesn't work for you, what about the totem pole which I guess is supposed to represent the cultural heritage of the land we stole? Like we stole your people? Sorry we didn't put anything for their cultural heritage in."

I'm more worried about the RFID. Ironically, you won't give a damn what the passport looks like when it's sitting half-open in your pocket while someone a few feet away steals your personal details :uhoh:

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm more worried about the RFID. Ironically, you won't give a damn what the passport looks like when it's sitting half-open in your pocket while someone a few feet away steals your personal details :uhoh:

Yup I've been researching how to destroy it. Apparently microwaving it works, but leaves scorch marks. Sadly nobody tells where on the passport cover these "telltale scorch marks" are because if you hit it with a hammer it may also be deactivated. I may also try a giant magnet, maybe sneak it into the Physics department or an MRI or something (if only I had access to these things). I may just have to take a hammer to the entire back cover. For now it's going to be wrapped in tinfoil whenever it's in public.

Absolutely hideous.

Your passports look like a children's colouring book, not an official document.

anitram said:
Absolutely hideous.

Your passports look like a children's colouring book, not an official document.

You just wish the Canadians had better looking passport instead of boring white papers.:madspit: :wink:

For the heck of it and to beat what I correctly guessed would be the rush, I got my old-school US passport nearly two years ago. Its visa pages are a bunch of state -- that's US state, as in the 50 states -- seals. Kind of boring. :yawn: No wonder I never really looked that closely at them before. :lol:

And no little RFID tag on the front!

WTF, I think this country has some better graphic designers out there. Damn, and I have to renew mine soon.

I suppose this wouldn't be the sort of thing to write Congress about, but it's tempting: "Dear Senator Kennedy, I didn't vote for you in your umpteenth election last fall, but I'd love it if you could tell the government that their brilliant new passport design is an international embarassment, oh and RFID chips work great for the subway...not in dealing with sensitive data, k thx bye."

I was in the post office yesterday and saw a mommy showing her two young children how pretty her new passport was; the kids were "ohhing" and "Awwing" over the design...kids don't think its bad, neither do I but I confess, I can't wait to hear the customs officers mumbling about it!

I've seen worse designs on the new quarters and nickels...:shrug:

jobob said:
For the heck of it and to beat what I correctly guessed would be the rush, I got my old-school US passport nearly two years ago. Its visa pages are a bunch of state -- that's US state, as in the 50 states -- seals. Kind of boring. :yawn: No wonder I never really looked that closely at them before. :lol:

And no little RFID tag on the front!

I used to love those states...you could search for what page yours was on.

Back
Top Bottom