The new Rolling Stones “Rarities 1971-2003” CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Down Under

Refugee
Released on 22 November 2005

Has anyone seen the track listing yet? :scratch:

Wondering if it will be boring remixes or some real rare songs with perhaps demos? :eyebrow:

Here you go:

Rarities 1971 - 2003
CD and double vinyl
Track listing

Fancy Man Blues
Tumbling Dice (live)
Wild Horses
Beast Of Burden (live)
Anyway You Look At It
If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2)
Miss You (Dance version)
Wish I'd Never Met You
I Just Wanna Make Love To You (live)
Mixed Emotions (12" version)
Through The Lonely Nights
Live With Me (live)
Let It Rock (live)
Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)
Mannish Boy
Thru and Thru (live)

And as much as I love my boys from Dublin, the "boring remix" part would apply to their stuff and not the Stones! I've been waiting for this Miss You version on CD for 20 years -- I only have the 12" vinyl, so for that alone, I'm grateful.

"Miss You (Dance version) " sounds like a remix...:yikes: bear in mind that i'm making this comment without having any idea what the non-dance version sounds like.

Miss You (Dance version). It's the Stones jumping on the Disco bandwagon just like Rod Stewart, The Kinks, Blondie, Kiss and just about everybody else did in 1979.

Disco sucks by the way.

IWasBored said:
"Miss You (Dance version) " sounds like a remix...:yikes: bear in mind that i'm making this comment without having any idea what the non-dance version sounds like.

The song was remixed by Bob Clearmountain, if memory serves, without the Stones even knowing he did it -- the first time Keith heard it was when he was sitting in a club and they played it. We used to call it the "Charlie Drum Solo Mix" because there's about 10 seconds of just the drums, which is the biggest solo Charlie ever took!, then he's joined by Mac on the electric piano, and it sounds great, but the best is that there's added vocals and lyrics where Mick just goes for it, so it really isn't one of those "put the jigsaw back together in a different way" remixes.

INDY500 said:
Miss You (Dance version). It's the Stones jumping on the Disco bandwagon just like Rod Stewart, The Kinks, Blondie, Kiss and just about everybody else did in 1979.

Disco sucks by the way.

Miss You was released in 1978.

I love the dance mix of Miss You, actually it's not the dance version, is the long version of Miss You without edits. It last 8:15 and I can't listen the final cut of the song (4:25) because they edited great parts of jams and lyrics.
Through The Lonely Night is one of the best b sides ever with an incredible Mick Taylor solo.

More info:
10.26.05 STARBUCKS HEAR MUSIC AND VIRGIN RECORDS TO RELEASE ROLLING STONES RARITIES CD
CD Compiles Remixes, Exotic B-Sides and Hard-to-Find Live Recordings from the Rolling Stones' Archives

Sixteen-Song CD to Be Released Simultaneously at Starbucks and Traditional Retail on November 22

Seattle; October 26, 2005--Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) Hear Music and Virgin Records announced today that they will co-release Rarities: 1971 - 2003, a collection of Rolling Stones remixes, exotic B-sides and hard-to-find live recordings from the band's archives. The CD will be released simultaneously in Starbucks Company-operated stores in the U.S. and Canada as well as in traditional retail on November 22, 2005.

To compile the album, Starbucks Hear Music, Virgin Records and the band worked together to comb through more than three decades of rare and hard-to-find Rolling Stones recordings. Rarities: 1971 - 2003 consists of 16 exceptional archival tracks, including a cover of Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock," originally released as a B-side to the 1971 single "Brown Sugar," as well as alternate takes of several of the band's biggest hits, including live versions of "Tumbling Dice," "Wild Horses" and "Beast of Burden," plus a dance remix of "Miss You."

"With every studio session, there are always songs that never appear on the final album and at the time you think, what a shame that song did not make it," explains Mick Jagger. "Rarities is a collection of the best of these overlooked bits along with some rarely heard live recordings pulled together into a CD that offers a blend of original material and some of our favorite cover songs."

"When you listen to Rarities, you can hear that there is definitely some basic thread that runs through everything we've done since we were 19," explains Keith Richards. "Half of it is a feeling, and half of it is just the style we developed. That consistent feel comes through in the classic recordings on Rarities."

Once the track list was finalized, the band sat down for an in-depth interview about the song selections. The resulting conversation was used as the basis for the CD liner notes which feature exclusive archival photographs and quotes from the band about the significance and history of each song.

The album will reach stores just 11 weeks after the Stones released their first studio album in eight years, "A Bigger Bang." The set debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and has been certified Platinum by the RIAA.

As with Ray Charles Genius Loves Company and Herbie Hancock Possibilities, Starbucks Hear Music participated in all aspects of this release, from manufacturing and distribution to marketing of the album, which will be sold beginning November 22 in traditional retail outlets as well as Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada and online at www.starbucks.com/hearmusic.

Track Listing for Rolling Stones Rarities: 1971 - 2003
1. "Fancy Man Blues" (1989 - B-side to the "Mixed Emotions" single)
2. "Tumbling Dice" (1995 - live - B-side of "Wild Horses")
3. "Wild Horses" (1995 - live - from Stripped)
4. "Beast of Burden" (1982 - live - B-side to the "Going To A Go-Go" single)
5. "Anyway You Look At It" (1998, B-side to "Saint of Me" single)
6. "If I Was A Dancer" (Dance Pt 2.) (1981)
7. "Miss You" (dance version) (1978)
8. "Wish I'd Never Met You" (1990 - B-side to "Terrifying" single)
9. "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" (1998 - live - No Security's Japan bonus track)
10. "Mixed Emotions IV" (1989 - 12" version)
11. "Through The Lonely Nights" (1974 - B-side to "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" single)
12. "Live With Me" (1998)
13. "Let It Rock" (1971 - live - B-side to "Brown Sugar" single)
14. "Harlem Shuffle" (1986 - New York Mix)
15. "Mannish Boy" (1977 - live)
16. "Thru and Thru" (2003 - live from the "Four Flicks" DVD)

:faint: Holy shit! A lot of those I have never heard before!! :combust:

I wish they had included I Can't Turn You loose from the Live Licks DVD though! That would make it even more special... I love The Stones! :drool:

I have some gripes with the tracklisting, but it will give me a few tracks I don't currently own: Let It Rock, Through The Lonely Nights and this live version of Thru And Thru. They are leaving off a lot of songs that only appeared on bsides in favor of live versions of well known songs.

Soldatti, I see you post also on Stones sites. Do you have the updated Soundscan figures for both Atomic Bomb and A Bigger Bang? I haven't heard anything in months about the sales figures for Atomic Bomb and nothing for the last 2 weeks of Bang.

I've always found it interesting how on top of the sales figures for the US when you are based in Argentina. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom