The New English Footy Discussion Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:13 AM
The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The thread title is about all I know about English footy, so I'm going to leave this one in more capable hands now.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Thanks Pax!

Here we are again then everyone!!

I'll just take my slippers off and get myself comfortable while I wait for the rest of you to arrive!

Old 02-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

The FA cup 6th round draw in full.

1 Newcastle United v Tottenham H or Nottingham F
2 Southampton or Brentford v Manchester United
3 Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal
4 Burnley or Blackburn Rovers v Leicester City

Glad we've avoided Arsenal anyway. Saints (should) get past Brentford in the replay, but either way, we should cruise to the semis.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
The Fly

It should be easy for Manchester to get through the next round
Old 02-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_irish_rose
It should be easy for Manchester to get through the next round

Easy - a piece of piss more like!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
The Fly

Right
Old 02-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 10:13 AM
I think the first thread started with Aardvark posting to himself half a dozen times and then I finally responded to him. It was more recently that I thought November I think but proud we went through the 500 mark posting about a proper sport.

I would like us to forget the FA cup for now as I'm still fairly pissed off about yeterday and it's an absolute monster of a week in the Champion's League all the English clubs have absolutely mouth-watering ties.

For the first leg at least I think United - Milan is the most interesting because of the number of players Chelsea are going to be missing. The other thing is since the draw was made United have been playing on another planet and have been an absolute pleasure to watch from Christmas onwards.(It doesn't mean I like them any more but credit where credit's due). I had the feeling on Saturday that they had plenty in reserve if they needed it and Wednesday night could be a good time to play Milan if Shevchenko is missing. I must admit I don't know a loads about Milan but you hear the names such as Shevchenko, Kaka, Stam and you know they're quality. They will also be keen to make amends for the incredible game against Deportivo La Coruna in the second leg last year.

I'm not going to watch this game however as I'm hoping I'll be watching the famous Chelsea play out a bore draw against Barcelona and then hopefully for the game at the Bridge some of our big guns will be fit again. If the players remember how painfull last year was I'm sure we'll be OK and I think we can guarantee an absolutely electric atmosphere for both games.

Arsenal aren't playing a bad side but I think it's in their own hands in the sense that if the good Arsenal team decides to turn up they will win if it doesn't they'll lose.

Liverpool I think could be more interesting than first thought and I think a lot of people have dismissed Leveurkusen much to easily, they're doing well in domestic competion and came through a tough group. Liverpool will be without Gerrard for the first leg but I think he is becoming a distraction they could do without..

Any other thoughts.

I love to here from anyone Germany, Spain or Italy who'd like to comment on thier sides as you guys are going to know your sides better than we do. Maybe we should have a Champion's League thread as well?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

shouldn't that be Bolton v Arsenal or Sheff. Utd? or have we just jumped to the conclusion the Blades will not be able to overturn the mighty Arsenal at Bramall Lane??
Old 02-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

Glad we've avoided Arsenal anyway. Saints (should) get past Brentford in the replay, but either way, we should cruise to the semis.
Go Spurs!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:13 AM
cool...we gots a new thread.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 10:13 AM
oh for crying out loud Bradford, why is it always like this with our home form. We haven't won at home since August or October, it's really starting to get on my nerves as a season ticket holder. Especially as the next one is Hu666ersfield.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Go Spurs!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:21 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Princey

shouldn't that be Bolton v Arsenal or Sheff. Utd? or have we just jumped to the conclusion the Blades will not be able to overturn the mighty Arsenal at Bramall Lane??
lol! I copied that STRAIGHT from Thefa.com!!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tarquinsuperb
For the first leg at least I think United - Milan is the most interesting because of the number of players Chelsea are going to be missing. The other thing is since the draw was made United have been playing on another planet and have been an absolute pleasure to watch from Christmas onwards.(It doesn't mean I like them any more but credit where credit's due). I had the feeling on Saturday that they had plenty in reserve if they needed it and Wednesday night could be a good time to play Milan if Shevchenko is missing. I must admit I don't know a loads about Milan but you hear the names such as Shevchenko, Kaka, Stam and you know they're quality. They will also be keen to make amends for the incredible game against Deportivo La Coruna in the second leg last year.

I'm not going to watch this game however as I'm hoping I'll be watching the famous Chelsea play out a bore draw against Barcelona and then hopefully for the game at the Bridge some of our big guns will be fit again. If the players remember how painfull last year was I'm sure we'll be OK and I think we can guarantee an absolutely electric atmosphere for both games.

both matches are being telecast live here in India but i will definetely be watching Man utd v Milan. I have been looking forward to this one for ages. Had Shevchenko been present i would have said Milan had a definete edge but with him out it's too close to call. Kaka, Crespo, Rui Costa still pose a potent threat. Gattuso could well cause Keane to do something rash and that is one thing United need to guard against. For United the key player is Ronaldo, alot is riding on him. I'm not sure how much of an impact Van the man will have, but Rooney has alot of prssure on his young shoulders, and like Keane he will also have to watch out for Gattuso.
Personally, I hope United goes through, but this is a really tough match.

As for me I am an Inter fan and i am confident that they can get the better of Porto. Adriano is back and the team is growing in confidence. The problem of course is the number of games we have drawn, especially in the league.

A word on the other games.... i think both Chelsea and Arsenal will struggle in this round, and once again Juventus should get the better of Madrid.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Agree with you D'oh, about the Chelsea and Arsenal struggle this week.
I really do think this will turn out to be a good couple of weeks for UTD's season!